View Poll Results: Would you Buy the AT&T Tilt?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 63.64%
  • No

12 36.36%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I have had the kaiser since it was released. In the past I would try the lastest device for a while and switch back to the treo. I dont think that I will switching back this time. Using the PockeyCM Keyboard I no longer have an issue with "one handed operation"

Typically I am able to use 2 hands for the slider, but when I cant, my default sip is set to this on screen - dare I say iPhonesque keyboard that works well for the quick reply. I have also set up several Mortscripts with canned replies that work well too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money
    webedc: "I compared the size of the Tilt against the 750. They are about the same." Are you serious?

They are similar, but Tilt (HTC TyTN2) is bigger in all measures, and much heavier...
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    webedc: "I compared the size of the Tilt against the 750. They are about the same." Are you serious?

They are similar, but Tilt (HTC TyTN2) is bigger in all measures, and much heavier...
    I have both next to me right now, the Tilt and the 750 are basically identical in size. However, the 750 IS ALOT lighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBwell View Post
    Well, I finally made my decision based on using my friends Tilt for the last 24 hrs. I like some of the fuctionality, but its definitly NOT a Treo 750! The Treo is much more user friendly and intuitive! The Tilt is quirky and difficult to manage the easiest of tasks including Texting!!!! The Tilt is also a bit slow probably from all the AT&T stuff that loads on initial boot-up! All in all its a real nice device for someone who needs everything in a handheld ppc, but lacks ease of use for the most used tasks including dialing a phone number or texting your friends!
    Let me preface this by saying that the Treo 750 is probably my favorite smartphone, ever.

Now, I do own both. My previous phones include the Audiovox SMT5600 MS Smartphone, Treo 650, Cingular 8125, 8525, Blackjack, and now 8925.

My Observations between the 750 and 8925:

-One handed useage is still no comparison - Treo 750 wins. However, dialing a contact one handed is easy. I have my top 7 speeddials on my HTChome plugin so I can dial those with ease. If I have to look up a contact, I just hit the green "SEND" key and I use the numberpad on the touchscreen to find and dial. Very easy to do, not as easy compare to the Treo though.

-Bigger screen is better. 8925 wins here. I use Slingbox alot and although it works great on the Treo, the small square screen isn't good for watching videos as everything is just so small. On the 8925, the 4:3 ratio screen and larger area really makes a big difference. Also, the screen on the 8925 is just better. MUCH brighter, better colors, better contrast.

-Earpiece volume: 8925 wins. Why? It's louder. Same as the speakerphone. On my Treo 750 I found it hard to hear some people.

-GPS and wifi: I don't use wifi much but GPS is great. I travel for business a lot and so it's obvious why I like having GPS.

-Hardware buttons: obviously the 8925 wins. I have 4 hardware buttons (not including the OK, Start, Send/End keys) that I can map. With AEButton Plus, I can launch 10 programs with ease. I actually have it set up so I can do almost 15 different commands with the hard buttons, compared to the 5 or so I can do with the Treo using the same program.

-Keyboard: although the Treo's keyboard is smaller, I prefer it. Why? I think tactile feedback is better, and it's also ALWAYS there. Hitting start then 'E' allows me to quickly launch Windows Media Player. Shortcuts are all over the place using the keyboard, and the Treo's form factor can't be beat.

-Battery life: about the same, I can't tell a difference.

-Camera: both aren't very good, but the 8925 has a 3mp camera and when you shrink down the images to 800x600 or so, they look decent. Good enough for email.

-Stability: now I can't say this for certain as I've been tinkering a lot with my Tilt, but I say the WM6 Treo 750 wins here. There's an issue with PIE on all Kaisers, I think it's because HTC hasn't really made the OS and processor work seamlessly together, but sometimes on large webpages it slows the device down. I found out that the Task Manager that comes with the Tilt was causing a lotof problems so I disabled that. But overall, the Treo 750 does seem more stable.

-Tweaks: Hands down, the Palm Treo 750 wins here. Palm's "Special Sauce" really is evident here in ways that would take too long to describe. But I will say that Palm has taken time to marry the software to the hardware so everything just works better. The 750 is almost optimal. HTC should take some time to do this, and I don't mean adding features, I just mean optimizing the software so it works almost perfectly with the superior hardware.

-Speed: about the same on the two, although processor intensive apps like slingbox really show that the Tilt's more powerful processor works better. However, in a lot of cases, the Treo 750 is faster, particularly when navigating through the device. However note that this also has a lot to do with the always-there keyboard on the 750.
    For what it's worth, here is my two cents on the topic. I will admit up front, the Treo is the only smartphone I have ever used, 600, 650 and now the 750. My best friend is an IT consultant and has raved about his Sprint version of the HTC slider, so last week I ordered the Tilt and played with it all weekend.

Yes, the screen is beautiful and large. Keyboard was difficult to adjust to at first, but over time I am sure it would become normal. Loved the WiFi and the phone quality was good. But I hated, hated the fact that it was so hard to find a contact and make a stupid phone call. And since it is a phone first for me, I had to return back to my loved 750. It actually made me love my 750 even more after trying the Tilt for a few days. Again, just my two cents on the topic.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowdawg54 View Post
    For what it's worth, here is my two cents on the topic. I will admit up front, the Treo is the only smartphone I have ever used, 600, 650 and now the 750. My best friend is an IT consultant and has raved about his Sprint version of the HTC slider, so last week I ordered the Tilt and played with it all weekend.

Yes, the screen is beautiful and large. Keyboard was difficult to adjust to at first, but over time I am sure it would become normal. Loved the WiFi and the phone quality was good. But I hated, hated the fact that it was so hard to find a contact and make a stupid phone call. And since it is a phone first for me, I had to return back to my loved 750. It actually made me love my 750 even more after trying the Tilt for a few days. Again, just my two cents on the topic.
    The 750 is definitely easiest for finding contacts, but I don't see how hard it is to do on the Tilt. Press the Green "SEND" key and use the keypad to type in a few characters of the person's name and you can call them? Sure it's not as easy as searching on the Today screen, but HTC's method searches by number AND name. I still prefer the Treo's methods.
    Isn't the only extra step to slide open the slider, as you can start dialing from the today screen too?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    The 750 is definitely easiest for finding contacts, but I don't see how hard it is to do on the Tilt. Press the Green "SEND" key and use the keypad to type in a few characters of the person's name and you can call them? Sure it's not as easy as searching on the Today screen, but HTC's method searches by number AND name. I still prefer the Treo's methods.
    A guy on XDA just launched an app called Finger Friendly and it is amazing! It narrows down the list of contacts as you hit a regional-sensitive keyboard. e.g. if you press the "S" or thereabouts it narrows the list down to names that begin with Q, W E, A, S ,D, etc. So you don't need to get the stylus out and make sure you select "A", you just need to be within close proximity of the letter "A". Anyway....this changes things quite a lot for me in terms of useability of the Tilt.

This is only an alpha release...I cannot wait to see what the guy comes up with for beta!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=340227

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcross View Post
    I have had the kaiser since it was released. In the past I would try the lastest device for a while and switch back to the treo. I dont think that I will switching back this time. Using the PockeyCM Keyboard I no longer have an issue with "one handed operation"

Typically I am able to use 2 hands for the slider, but when I cant, my default sip is set to this on screen - dare I say iPhonesque keyboard that works well for the quick reply. I have also set up several Mortscripts with canned replies that work well too.
    Umm... What's in the image? I can't view it... it won't let me, says I'm not authorized.
    I was very frustrated. My first major disappointment was that the Tilt didn't wake up to retreive email (I have Gmail and a POP account) when it went to sleep! I went to xda-developers and they hadn't been able to isolate the problem to fix it. I was going to return it, when I discovered that I would have to conform to use Blackberry Connect with no html email viewing. I really started missing my Treo 750 with WM6 (unbranded rom) when AT&T made me pickup a $69.00 tethering plan, in order for me to connect to to the internet with my laptop! From my region, I am no longer able to tether through my unlimited data plan using Internet Sharing as I used to do with my T750.

My perspective on the device has shifted 180 degrees thanks to this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=333898 Despite my new tethering plan, I like the feel of this device and even though I am not used to a slider phone, the desigh and keyboard are a huge plus. I have sold my treo on ebay a few days ago and have no regrets (after the tweaks, of course).
    Palm m100 => Palm 515 => BB 7290 => BB 7100g => Treo 650 => BB 8700c => Nokia E62 (for 10 days) => Treo 750 => :Treo 750 with WM6:AT&T Tilt (for 20 days)=>BJII=>Treo 750 WM6=>Treo Pro WM 6.1(for sale)=>Treo 750 WM6 'til a GSM Pre comes up!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12