Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Just got a new Tilt/Kaiser. Nice device, killed a 1GB micro-SD card dead while I was setting it up though.
    Anyhow...
    Mobile Office saves document files as type *.docx which can't be interpreted by OpenOffice.
    It also can't open some *.doc files from OpenOffice.
    Other than getting MS Office for my desktop machine, is there something I missed? Can it be made to save in *.doc format?

On the other hand, I'm running a trial of Documents To Go (DataViz) for WinMobile and while it saves in *.doc format, it doesn't allow text selection from the touchscreen, though the touchscreen does work for the application's menus. Is there a setting on that version or is there a new version of DTG that allows text selection from the touchscreen -- a feature present in all of the Palm OS versions of that application?

-Rusty
    (Treos 90-650, Samsung Blackjack)
    (and looking at my preset sig, I've been away a while...)
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    You can set open office to save in the native doc format. If you hit saveas, it gives you a drop down list for options like word 97 format, 2000 format, etc. Never had a problem going between open office and ms office. Always wished they would had a pim to openoffice.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Ok, found the setting, and it works. Whew!
    Still need Docs to Go for a few doc files -- there are a few that OM won't open.
    Ah well -- they're older and don't need editing on the device, so it's ok.
    Thanks!

-Rusty, Keepin' it like a Kaiser.
    (Treos 90-650, still hoping for a Palm OS device that supports HSDPA)
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    ...seems to be related to font changes.

OM only seems to handle Tahoma and Courier New, substituting in Tahoma for whatever the default font happens to be. (I haven't looked into whether or not MS has other fonts available as add-ons.)
    The files that were giving me problems had multiple fonts, and clearing out to a single font made the files saveable.

I haven't yet tried to determine how many font changes in a document will provoke this issue; that's for another day.

-Rusty J
    Gotta keep it like a Kaiser
    (Treo 650, Blackjack, Tilt, Samsung Q1 UMPC, and see below...)
    -Rusty