1.    #1  
    I am a new graduate student. I am now on a 30 days test of Verizon 700wx, starting from October 2, 2007. I bought this phone on the same day ATT released ATT Tilt. Tilt is absolutely powerful. As for me, I don't use cell phone a lot, except using it to talk with my GF, actually, I think if we are both online, I prefer Skype. I like to try kinds of software on my phone, while 240-240 screen stops many software. No WIFI, no GPS gadget, you know, I won't use the data plan, as it's really expensive for me.

I bought Treo 700wx at a price of $499(plus $100 rebate, I have not sent the rebate yet). I got my SSN one month ago when I got a Research Assistance Job at my graduate study, as my credit history is empty, I have to deposit another $400 for this line(I don't know when I can get this money back, on the day I terminate the service? I am not sure). I spent lots of money on this phone(as I ever had two handheld from Palm, TT and TT3) while after I got this phone, I keep reading reviews and videos about ATT Tilt. Actually, I am not excited to get this phone at all. I want a WM6 system and maybe WIFI, big screen. I keep thinking to get the ATT Tilt.

I am now thinking to return this phone and my service from Verizon. Will I be charged? Any guy has such return experience?

What still keep me hard to embrace ATT is that my girl friend uses Verizon, and what's more, I and my girl friend have 3 hours time difference; I am in Arizona, while she is in Michigan. If I change to ATT, I am not sure, the basic plan 450Mins will be enough or not, as Free night time may not work due to the time difference. But I really like a powerful phone, like Tilt.

Please help to decide what should I do. Bye the way, my uncle who has a strong credit history may be willing to help me make a order on his name, in this case, I don't need to pay security deposit of $400. What's more, he can also enjoy 15% discount from ATT, and order Tilt without any data plan via ATT premier.

Please help me to decide, I am still disappointed and hesitant to continue use my 700wx for the two year contract. Any comments or suggestions are greatly welcomed, and appreciated.
    I have the MDA Vario III, which is the Tilt on T-Mobile UK. It is certainly the more modern device, whereas the 700w is nearly 2 years old, with a replacement due in the next 3 months. They are different devices though, for example typing while walking is not exactly easy or safe with a Tilt.

In your situation I would either go for the Tilt now, or wait for a device with a similar form factor as the 700wx, such as the upcoming 800w, HP 914c or Samsung 690.

Surur
    My GF and I have Verizon, and to be honest, that's the only reason I'm staying with them. If you want a big screen and Windows Mobile, Verizon has the i760 and Mogul coming soon:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/18/v...ng-i760-comes/

I *love* my 700wx, but in my opinion you've paid too much for it this late in the game. I'd get one off Ebay or Craigs for less, or just wait as Surur said.
    wait - there are a lot of new phones in the pipe for all carriers that are an upgrade to the wx. Or, as g said, buy one off eBay or Craigslist.

(or I could have just said "ditto")
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    My GF and I have Verizon, and to be honest, that's the only reason I'm staying with them. If you want a big screen and Windows Mobile, Verizon has the i760 and Mogul coming soon:

I *love* my 700wx, but in my opinion you've paid too much for it this late in the game. I'd get one off Ebay or Craigs for less, or just wait as Surur said.
    Why can't Verizon release a phone that's capable of using EVDO Rev A? Obviously they spent money to implement the network, now they can't even offer a phone that can use it.
    The i760 is out online today. No RevA. The 6800 is not out yet, but will be RevA, though I don't think it will be out of the box. To be honest, we got a demo unit for the VZW 6800 and I was not impressed.

Something to be aware of, Treo 700w/wx users. Using just one hand I can type a few letters of a contact and start a call/email/text message in about 2 seconds. All these side slide out keyboards are not that simple.

For all the grief Palm has gotten, I don't think they get enough credit for how sweet the 700wx is to use as a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    For all the grief Palm has gotten, I don't think they get enough credit for how sweet the 700wx is to use as a phone.
    You are 100% right!

But can you blame the ppl? Palm made no real effort to showcase the 700wx, probably to protect themselves over the ram discrepancy which they publicly do not disclose (check out the comparison page, the 700wx are grouped together as if they are identical models). I got my 700w/wx last September on Sprint. That makes the model 1 year old already, yet the design is the exact same as the 700w which debuted January 2006, it's big, bulky and has a large protruding antenna.

Frankly, I was shocked to find that as of this week, they're still charging that much for it.

/rant plz
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post

What do you mean by getting one off from Ebay, Craigs? Does this mean, I tell Verizon to return my 700wx, and use my own device, so I can have the contract price for the up-coming devices? Is it possible?
  9.    #9  
    Thank you very much for your opinion. It is really stupid to buy 700wx now at a price of $499. I am Planning to return it. I just got to know that 800w is also on the pipeline which may be released in Q42007. I prefer to wait, but I should do now?

Can I return the 700w/wx with full price in 30 days? Will I be charged 15% of the price or something?

Any recommendation to a cheap phone to continue at Verzion?
    Call Verizon, i had 30 days to decide when i got the 700wx. I had a problematic Moto Q, they upgraded me for free. Didn't fix my issues with Vzw, but the 700wx is a much better device. For that price

Which leads to the Moto Q, you can get them sorta cheap, especially used, if you still want PDA capabilities. The PPC-6700 I've seen at ebay for 150, so that's somewhat affordable too.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I will be staying with Palm but I would love for Verizon to bring the Treo 750 cause I don't want to leave the Windows Mobile.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    Very true... it is such a nice phone. The 700wx is by far the best phone I've had since the Treo 600.
  13.    #13  
    One more question, Palm Treo 700wx works perfect at my location for Voice. While the small screen and lack of Wifi really make me difficult to keep it for the 2 year contract, as I am using this equipment without data-plan.

I am now at Tempe, Arizona. Is the Signal Strength from AT&T good?