Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

The long (looong) wait for Windows Mobile 6 on the Treo 750 may soon be over, according to a document leaked on the TreoCentral forums. Of course, said document states that the target date for releasing it was October 15th.

Grumble.

People have been getting themselves WM6 the hard way, either through a leak or, more recently, by hacking the Australian version. We still don't know what's causing all the delays. It's certainly not Good Mobile Messaging, they've already released their updated software (congrats on that, by the way).

We're more than 6 months out from the original announcement and I'm just plain exhausted. Seriously: I was so excited about Windows Mobile 6 on a 750 that *I haven't slept* since they told us we'd get it. It's been rough.

Read: treocentral.com >> Stories >> Rumors >> Treo 680 and 750 Updates Coming on ATT

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ru...0_delayed.html
    *chuckle* Well, any 700P owner would probably say "ha! six months? stop your whining!" Honestly, though, I think Palm has much bigger fish to fry (that's the polite version, though a**es to fry would probably be more accurate) now that Apple just dropped the big SDK bomb, and that it's expected *much* sooner than Palm's late '08 date (which we know they have a habit of slipping anyway). Ah well...
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Well its the 22nd, and no 680 or 750 updates posted nor any other updates / leaks / rumors given. My new prediction is it will be launched in March, 1 year plus 1 day after it was announced
    Quote Originally Posted by driazen View Post
    Well its the 22nd, and no 680 or 750 updates posted nor any other updates / leaks / rumors given. My new prediction is it will be launched in March, 1 year plus 1 day after it was announced
    Give the guys on the West Coast a chance to wake up, get into the office, get a cup of coffee and THEN press the button unleashing the WM6 upgrade...

On the other hand, that cup of joe could take a couple of months to make....
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    ok its 9:50 on west coast, id be on my 3rd pot of coffee by now..
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Here is my chat from just a few mins ago. Prefaced my question as looking for a fix to the SD card dropping issue which is one of the things supposedly fixed in the WM6 update.

eSupport Chat Transcript

driazen > MiniSD card drops from my phone and requires a phone
    reset or card reinsertion every day or so. I have heard this is fixed in
    the WM6 update for the Treo 750. When is this available for
    AT&T(Cingular) phones?
    Perry > Hello driazen, Thank you for contacting Palm Technical
    Support. My name is Perry. How may I help you?
    Perry > Hello.
    Perry > I understand that you want to know when you can get the WM 6
    update for your device.
    Perry > Am I correct?
    driazen > sry had to step away reading..
    driazen > yes
    driazen > I have heard that the MiniSD card and other issues are
    addressed in that update. So I just wanted to know when it was coming
    for the at&t devices, since it has been released for all other
    providers.
    driazen > So i Hear.
    Perry > I would like to inform you that the update is not yet released
    and our engineers are working on it.
    driazen > ok
    Perry > The update WM6 for Treo 750 going through the testing phase to
    enhance the features of the device ' and 'Currently we do not have any
    ETA for this. However, I can assure you that the release will be more
    powerful than your expectations'
    driazen > Any idea why it is taking longer than the other
    networks?
    Perry > Our Engineers are working on the final phases to add some more
    advanced features to provide our customers a satisfied product finally.
    driazen > I hope so, the mini sd issue is very frustrating, as
    lots of the applications including email that I use it for mainly store
    data there
    Perry > This is for your information that the Update is under testing
    and it can be released at any time.
    driazen > Are there any suggestions for WM5 usuers to help the
    drop issie?
    driazen > any settings or anything? Since the WM6 update is not
    ready?
    Perry > I would like to inform you that the issue you are facing is an
    emerging Hardware issue.
    driazen > So no fix?
    Perry > My request you to please contact our Voice Support who are our
    nect level support and are expertise in fixing the hardware related
    issues.
    Perry > You can contact Palm Voice Support Department at 877-426-3777 (
    5AM to 9PM PST )
    driazen > Ok. So the SD card dropping alot from the os is a
    hardware issue that I need to report for my device?
    Perry > Yes, you are correct.
    driazen > Ok thank you very much. I will try Voice technical
    support.
    Perry > However, please try to contact our Voice Support who can assist
    you in this issie.
    Perry > You are welcome.
    Perry > Please accept my heart felt apologies for not being able to
    assist you in this regard as the issue is an Hardware issue.
    Perry > Hope you understand the technicality involved.
    driazen > Thats ok, its more information than I knew before we
    started.
    Perry > Thank you for all your understanding.
    Perry > You are welcome.
    Perry > Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. Please feel
    free to contact us for further assistance.
    Perry > Please click on the "X" button at the top of the page to close
    the chat window.
    Perry > Have a great day!
    Perry > Bye!
    What is this, a software update or a new Jedi in training?

I think I might have posted elsewhere on the AT&T forums and possibly here as well that there are rumbles now that the hold up is due to the possibility that it will not only make the phone HSDPA compliant, but also HSUPA as well. Not sure how muxh stock I will put into ANYTHING AT&T and/or Palm says anymore, but if we end up getting HSPA network speeds out of it, while the wait sucked, it may be worth it.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Just called phone technical support as advised to see about a fix for the Mini SD card dropping. "Perform a hard reset to wipe out all applications. This will fix the SD card issue."

sigh..
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    > Our Engineers are working on the final phases to add some more
    advanced features

As long as we're wildly speculating on these "advanced features", perhaps Visual Voicemail (ala iPhone) is one of them...
  10. umc
    Just called phone technical support as advised to see about a fix for the Mini SD card dropping. "Perform a hard reset to wipe out all applications. This will fix the SD card issue."

sigh..

I've done two hard resets on my 750 and that has NOT fixed the card problem, not sure you should waste your time...
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    i didnt, ive soft reset it and hard reset it, i know its a software issue, they just dont wanna give out dates.
    Do yourself a favor and don't ever contact or call Palm support. You would be better served banging your head against a wall. If you have found this site and know how to search it then you are light years ahead of anybody they either put at a computer or on the phone to talk to you.

How they can say we don't have a clue when it will come out, nor do we know anything about it but it will be much better and you will really like it is comical.

They read from a script and search a database that is identical to the database you can search on their site.

How the ***** could tell you the sd card is a hardware issue when anybody at Palm even remotely related to the device would know it is a software issue and that it will be fixed is amazing. My guess is that Palm wants to keep those people in the dark too because the last thing Palm ever does is acknowledge a problem--until they release the fix.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Palm Announces Microsoft Mobile Device Manager 2008 Support

snip it:
    Availability
    The Palm Treo 750 smartphone will support Mobile Device Manager through an update starting in the second half of calendar 2008.
    If is the super special features the tech mentioned above then we just got set back to second half of 2008. Wonder what happens when MS makes mobile center 2008 service pack 1, they'll have to delay until 3rd quarter 2008, then sp1 hot fix 2, that'll put it into December 2008...and so on...
    Palm Announces Microsoft Mobile Device Manager 2008 Support

snip it:

If is the super special features the tech mentioned above then we just got set back to second half of 2008. Wonder what happens when MS makes mobile center 2008 service pack 1, they'll have to delay until 3rd quarter 2008, then sp1 hot fix 2, that'll put it into December 2008...and so on...

The press release is ambigious in my mind as to what this update is. Certainly the MS Mobile Device MGR is WM6 only. It is unclear if Palm's support of this new app will coincide with the WM6 update or if it would be an update to WM6.

I think there is still some hope that Palm is soon to release the WM6 upgrade. Not all users need the MS Mobile Device MGR - it is an enterprise tool
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seaflipper View Post
    The press release is ambigious in my mind as to what this update is. Certainly the MS Mobile Device MGR is WM6 only. It is unclear if Palm's support of this new app will coincide with the WM6 update or if it would be an update to WM6.

I think there is still some hope that Palm is soon to release the WM6 upgrade. Not all users need the MS Mobile Device MGR - it is an enterprise tool
    I was basing my reply around this comment from palm tech support that I got yesterday:

I'm sorry if I come across as sour but this cat and mouse game Palm and Microsoft is playing with the release of WM6 is getting boring. The "top-secret" approach is so stupid.

Why can't they just come out and say, "We've put it off until next year." or "If everything falls into place WM6 will be release Nov. 1, 2007" If there's an unexpectant delay, tell us that and I'm sure everyone (or most) will understand. But to hang WM6 on a stick like a carrot is dumb.

All the games Palm and MS are playing starts to make the Blackberry appealling.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    I'm sorry if I come across as sour but this cat and mouse game Palm and Microsoft is playing with the release of WM6 is getting boring. The "top-secret" approach is so stupid.

Why can't they just come out and say, "We've put it off until next year." or "If everything falls into place WM6 will be release Nov. 1, 2007" If there's an unexpectant delay, tell us that and I'm sure everyone (or most) will understand. But to hang WM6 on a stick like a carrot is dumb.

All the games Palm and MS are playing starts to make the Blackberry appealling.

Given how impatient you all seem to be, it would be disastrous for Palm to put a date to anything it releases. If something goes wrong, and it always does with electronic devices, the date could be pushed back.

Take a stress free approach: It will be released soon. Until then, have a nice day!
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
    I'm not impatient and would rather see a firm date, then if it's delayed so be it. But to have all the leaks, rumors and speculation is ridiculous and makes Palm look worse than if they had to push back an announced date.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    I'm not impatient and would rather see a firm date, then if it's delayed so be it. But to have all the leaks, rumors and speculation is ridiculous and makes Palm look worse than if they had to push back an announced date.

It doesn't make Palm look worse, because they are not releasing any info. the speculation and rumors are coming from customers who are desperate for an upgrade.
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    So they are saying that the WM6 upgrade for AT&T will have more features than the one released for other carriers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast