1. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Could someone please explain the difference between Spb Mobile Shell & Pocket Plus? I read the different functions they both offer & they both seem to be almost the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    Could someone please explain the difference between Spb Mobile Shell & Pocket Plus? I read the different functions they both offer & they both seem to be almost the same.
    they do have some things in common but they both aim to be very different. Shell is really nothing more than a new interface. It offers very little in new functionality. Pocket plus brings;
    -internet tab'd browsing
    -task manager
    -program shortcuts from the today screen via its plug in.
    -a few other shortcuts that can be accessed fromt he today screen plug in.

I use shell and have pocket plus and diary as tabs. Pretty slick.
    Actually, now that I am diving a bit deeper into all the new features I am wondering why keep shell at all. It would seem that the SPB menu and now screen are the only reasons to keep it.

-Ok. Now that I have played with it even more I think I will be getting rid of shell all together. The today plugin replaces shell with the exact same functionality. I dont use the SPB menu and I dont use the now screen.
    Last edited by nyc_rock; 10/17/2007 at 03:34 PM.
  4. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    Actually, now that I am diving a bit deeper into all the new features I am wondering why keep shell at all. It would seem that the SPB menu and now screen are the only reasons to keep it.
    Exactly, thats what I'm realizing. I like the shell menu but it seems as though the newest version of Spb Pocket Plus has now included these features. I'll probably install both like you. How does having both installed affect your available RAM though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    Exactly, thats what I'm realizing. I like the shell menu but it seems as though the newest version of Spb Pocket Plus has now included these features. I'll probably install both like you. How does having both installed affect your available RAM though?
    I noticed no issues regarding Ram. i got rid of shell. It was just overkill.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    im actually running spb_mobile shell, phone suite and pocket plus.

spb_ms/pp/ps only use my resource noticeably when i access them, so im not experiencing any slowdown from running the three.

i installed pp and got rid of pocket cm & pieplus. im good for now.
    Spb Mobile Shell contains light versions of other Spb software like those of Spb Weather and Spb Time. As to photo speed dial tab, it can contain up to 5 contacts on the screen and the user cannot change their order, while Spb Pocket Plus is more connected with the general features, like launching and closing applications, showing the status of your device and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel80 View Post
    Spb Mobile Shell contains light versions of other Spb software like those of Spb Weather and Spb Time. As to photo speed dial tab, it can contain up to 5 contacts on the screen and the user cannot change their order, while Spb Pocket Plus is more connected with the general features, like launching and closing applications, showing the status of your device and so on.
    Excatly, shell has a few more features from other SPB products like weather, time that Pocket Plus does not have. The nice thing about PP is the multiple plugins, which shell is lacking (hopefully they will add that to the new version). Also a nice thing about shell is that it lets you access the options and config. meny by pushing and holding the center button (got used to that). PP does not. A combination of both is good although they do take space and memory
    I use both.

I use Shell for the Now Screen, but not the menu. Although the Mobile Shell menu is pretty, it's not as quick as the regular start menu. Start>O for contacts vs. opening the SPB menu, going to organizer, then going to contacts.

I use Pocket Plus for the tabbed IE browsing, smart scroll, and the new open/save dialog. I think both are great applications to have.