Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1.    #1  
    My pal Ben Higginbotham of Technology Evangelist has called me out publicly on our debate about email on the iPhone. I say the iPhone sucks at email, he says it the bestest (yes, I'm oversimplifying. A lot.). I've been meaning to comment over at TE (you should consider doing it yourself, it's an interesting post), but instead am just going to do a full WMExperts Smackdown here.

    I love you Ben, but you might want to go find some ointment, because I have a strong feeling this is going to sting a little. Click through for the fun.

    Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sma...ile_email.html
  2. #2  
    ZOMG this was an awesome post. You're still wrong, but it was well written.

    Has anyone seen my ointment?
  3. #3  
    So am I wrong because you give look and feel (insert pinky into mouth) one billion points?

    Sorry about the ointment jab, sometimes I let me snark get the better of me.
  4. #4  
    Attachments
    On the iPhone, you can view any office doc or pdf and forward them on. You can also view photos within emails.

    On Windows Mobile, you can view any office doc or a pdf. More importantly, you can edit and create these documents directly on the phone. That's huge. Really huge.

    It goes further than that, though, much further. On Windows Mobile we have this neat little thing called a "User Accessible File System." This means that Windows Mobile has these strange little concepts built-into it like "save" and "open." You can, you know, save attachments for later use. You can save a photo and then use it as a picture for your contacts.

    I know, it's crazy, right? I've taken such functionality for granted for so long, it's weird when I can't. More specifically, being able to save a photo from an email so that I can use it in other contexts on the phone.

    Additionally, Windows Mobile is able to attach any file to an email either from within a new email or within pretty much any other context like the photo app or the file browser. The iPhone is only able to attach photos and links from Safari or YouTube, and then only from those apps, not from within a new email.
    This is worth 2 points.

    Of course, for iPhone users 'teh Purty' is worth 1000 000 points. Who cares about functionality anyway.

    Surur
  5. #5  
    Well, there really is a point to be made that 'the Purty' actually is an important piece of functionality.
  6. TheO.Z.'s Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    #6  
    Thats' the thing - for a lot of apologists, "teh purty" is functionality. The functionality is literally that it's pretty when they use it.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheO.Z. View Post
    Thats' the thing - for a lot of apologists, "teh purty" is functionality. The functionality is literally that it's pretty when they use it.
    Yes, but how much is it worth. I would trade being able to save attachments for any amount of Purty.

    iPhone owners obviously not. It makes one wonder about their other life choices. Do they go around driving a 2 seater sports car, even though they have children? Do they change their wives every 2 years?

    Surur
  8. #8  
    Well written and I am surprised Windows Mobile only won by 5 points...lol!

    Once they get 3G, native push of Exchange, and allow some amount of customization to the iPhone (yes, I know I am dreaming after all it's AT&T and Apple were talking about) I would drop my dinosaur of a Treo in a heartbeat fofr one.
  9. #9  
    Things will be changing. The iPhone SDK is coming and features will abound with the coming of "real" applications to the iPhone platform.
  10. #10  
    Heh...good sum up septimus, although between this and the podcasts it's apparent that you're struggling not to like the iPhone . The iPhone did get one thing right, though, and that's the display of email. It's as good as safari is. My compaint about WM6 on the treo 750 right now is that when I open an email, the font size of the "To:" "From:" Subject:" is so needlessly big that before I can see even one iota of some of my emails I have to hit the down button several times. It's important to note that once the email is displayed on the iPhone, you see most of the contents right away, and I think that's a big plus.

    Plus, keep in mind, the iPhone ain't done yet, Mail is one of those apps that just feels unfinished right now, and file system access will likely come with the SDK. But yes, PUSH blows chunks on the iPhone right now, and I love my 750 for it.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Yes, but how much is it worth. I would trade being able to save attachments for any amount of Purty.

    iPhone owners obviously not. It makes one wonder about their other life choices. Do they go around driving a 2 seater sports car, even though they have children? Do they change their wives every 2 years?

    Surur
    Surely only an ***** would think that. ..the point here is that win mob email is a developed application that has been on the go for years (and is still lacking in several important respects) whereas the iphone app has been on the go for a fraction of that time.
    The fact that it has taken win mob up to version 6 to be a decent email application speaks buckets.. Let's see how things stand in 2 years time and I'll wager with anyone that the latter will have improved vastly and will be a much more credible alternative.
    Having used win mob, symbian and palm devices over the past 12 months I personally find win mob to be the most "powerful" (how I hate using that word in terms of devices as it wrongly implies "better") yet the least wieldy and most cumbersome....good lord, it has taken Microsoft up to version 6 to realise it is a better idea to put "delete" as one of the soft key options.
    To compare a win mob 6 device with an iphone at email is generally rather pointless, the former are getting things done jack of all trades but master of very few devices whilst the latter are still very much multimedia centric devices with a few immature business style apps tagged on at present. But that will change and the fact that Apple has released the sdk will ensure that is sooner rather than too much later...it will be interesting to see if things have changed in 12 months time once there is a 'snappermail" type 3rd party email application available for the platform.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex View Post
    Surely only an ***** would think that. ..the point here is that win mob email is a developed application that has been on the go for years (and is still lacking in several important respects) whereas the iphone app has been on the go for a fraction of that time.
    The fact that it has taken win mob up to version 6 to be a decent email application speaks buckets.. Let's see how things stand in 2 years time and I'll wager with anyone that the latter will have improved vastly and will be a much more credible alternative.
    Having used win mob, symbian and palm devices over the past 12 months I personally find win mob to be the most "powerful" (how I hate using that word in terms of devices as it wrongly implies "better") yet the least wieldy and most cumbersome....good lord, it has taken Microsoft up to version 6 to realise it is a better idea to put "delete" as one of the soft key options.
    To compare a win mob 6 device with an iphone at email is generally rather pointless, the former are getting things done jack of all trades but master of very few devices whilst the latter are still very much multimedia centric devices with a few immature business style apps tagged on at present. But that will change and the fact that Apple has released the sdk will ensure that is sooner rather than too much later...it will be interesting to see if things have changed in 12 months time once there is a 'snappermail" type 3rd party email application available for the platform.
    Please, thats laughable. How mature does a device have to be for you to know an e-mail app needs to be able to save attachments to local memory. Did this slip the mind of those wonderful OSX engineers?

    The fact is that most of the functionality of the iPhone are an afterthought, vs the prettiness of the interface.

    Actually, maybe you are right. I remember waiting in the days of pocketpc 2003 for Microsoft to develop cut and paste. Those were terrible days... Not!

    Jobs had a choice between scroll bars, pop-up menus and cut and paste, and his whizz-bang "impress the weak of mind" flick scrolling and zooming, and guess which one he picked?

    BTW, Apple have not released an SDK yet, and when they do we still dont know if it will provide access to local resources. You know, poor iPhone users need to be protected from themselves, dont you know?

    Surur
    Last edited by surur; 10/28/2007 at 05:43 AM.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Please, thats laughable. How mature does a device have to be for you to know an e-mail app needs to be able to save attachments to local memory. Did this slip the mind of those wonderful OSX engineers?
    I guess I'm in the minority, but all the years I have used windows mobile and blackberry devices, I have never once saved an attachment locally. I think its probably because the screen size and resolution make viewing these attachments difficult.

    I of course would always prefer the option to do so, especially since the iPhone screen would allow easier viewing.
  14. #14  
    That speaks volumes about your device use, and why an iPhone is suitable for you.

    Surur
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    That speaks volumes about your device use, and why an iPhone is suitable for you.

    Surur
    Me having no desire to download attachments on my mobile device speaks volumes why the iPhone is suitable for me? Are you kidding me? Get off your soapbox Surur, and don't assume you know anything about me.

    Could it possibly be that I just have no need to download attachments? Are mobile phones created just to fit the needs of Surur. Maybe the next phone Apple should produce will be the iSurur.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Me having no desire to download attachments on my mobile device speaks volumes why the iPhone is suitable for me? Are you kidding me? Get off your soapbox Surur, and don't assume you know anything about me.

    Could it possibly be that I just have no need to download attachments? Are mobile phones created just to fit the needs of Surur. Maybe the next phone Apple should produce will be the iSurur.
    I have never once saved an attachment locally
    So you dont think this speaks volumes about your smartphone usage? Not once, in all the years you used a smartphone?

    Face it, you dont need a smartphone, thats why you have an iPhone.

    Surur
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    So you dont think this speaks volumes about your smartphone usage? Not once, in all the years you used a smartphone?

    Face it, you dont need a smartphone, thats why you have an iPhone.

    Surur

    So, the requirements for something to be considered a smartphone is the ability to save attachments?

    I never saved attachments on my blackberry or WM devices either.

    Can anybody ever have a different opinion than the mighty Surur?
  18. #18  
    I am not even talking about the iPhone. I am saying YOU clearly dont need a smartphone.

    Surur
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I am not even talking about the iPhone. I am saying YOU clearly dont need a smartphone.

    Surur
    And I'm saying the requirements for smartphone use should be more than the ability to save attachments. The thing that you have never been able to compute in your 5 month long iPhone rant, is that not everybody uses their phone for the same features that you do.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    And I'm saying the requirements for smartphone use should be more than the ability to save attachments. The thing that you have never been able to compute in your 5 month long iPhone rant, is that not everybody uses their phone for the same features that you do.
    You are happy with a phone without

    - 3rd party apps
    - cut and paste
    - ability to access the file system
    - ability to customize the interface

    You clearly dont need a smartphone to keep you happy. Why you struggled with so many though the years you will probably never know.

    Surur
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions