Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Link

snipit from bellington74
    After posting that I called back to AT&T and after several transfers, I got a hold of someone who was willing to actually talk straight with me about the fate of the Treo and WM6. I spent the better part of an hour and a half on the phone with him, venting about the entire situation and then letting him talk to me like a person, not like someone reading from a script. In a nutshell this is what he said.

Yes, in CERTAIN markets the Treo is being pulled from the shelves, but it is not a company-wide thing. The markets where the phone had the lowest sales have either had the phones pulled from stock, or tranfered away to other higher-volume stores. To the best of his knowledge, there are no plans in the immidate future to pull the Treo 750 completely. Its a case of supply and demand, with the areas that have little or no demand clearing the space for something that will move better. He went on to say that aside from Motorola, they have had a fantastic partnership with Palm, and they are one of their most important partners, with absolutly no plans at all of ending that partnership.

In regards to the WM6 update he was probably more helpful and informative than anyone I have yet to talk to. The reason he gave for the multiple dates is that they (AT&T) get the release updates from Palm. Palm is the one cooking the ROM, and yes, he understands that we are all getting disenfranchised with the situation, but he can't give us a concrete time that the upgrade will be made available. He said he could say, for the record, that it IS going to happen, just not when. There is apparently an issue with two key programs that they are trying to iron out, something that was stumbled upon with the release for the 750v. There is a compatability issue with both GMM (Good Mobile Messaging) & BBC (Blackberry Connect). AT&Ts ROMs are all installed with GMM, and the current version is not compliant with WM6. GMM is now owned by, guess who, Motorola. (There is also apparently an issue of compatability with TomTom GPS Solutions as well). He then did something that actually restored my faith in this whole situation a little bit. He said "Here, this is my email address, (He asked me to not disclose it publicly) email me with your information because we have Palm reps coming in Thursday and I will ask them if there is ANY information they can give on the update. Once he hears anything, he will email me. If I indeed do hear him, I will be on here posting ANYTHING he can tell me.
    Cool. I guess we'll wait and see....
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    ...There is also apparently an issue of compatability with TomTom GPS Solutions as well...
    TomTom Navigator 6 runs perfectly on my 750v under WM6
    I think he is talking about the software+gps receiver bundles from TomTom
    Newness Developments apps:

Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    TomTom Navigator 6 runs perfectly on my 750v under WM6
    if this is the issue then i second it -
    with default wm5 and ttn6, u can simultaneously use the bt headset and gps at the same time. meaning when a call comes, ttn mutes voice directions and bt headset picks up the call with screen showing the ttn visual directions...but with wm6(leaked) and ttn, this does not happen...i have noticed few times, treo just drops the bt signal for a second or two and again picks up when a call goes to the bt headset....also the screen switches to the phone call and today window...and when call ends does not switch back to the ttn!!!

all this seem quite simple if we assign a quick button to ttn but practically to me is still unusable if u want to use gps...

p.s. i have noticed this prob on two diff 750's...it also happens on other wm6 devices...so either its a prob of ttn or wm6??
  6. yud
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk View Post
    if this is the issue then i second it -
    with default wm5 and ttn6, u can simultaneously use the bt headset and gps at the same time. meaning when a call comes, ttn mutes voice directions and bt headset picks up the call with screen showing the ttn visual directions...but with wm6(leaked) and ttn, this does not happen...i have noticed few times, treo just drops the bt signal for a second or two and again picks up when a call goes to the bt headset....also the screen switches to the phone call and today window...and when call ends does not switch back to the ttn!!!

all this seem quite simple if we assign a quick button to ttn but practically to me is still unusable if u want to use gps...

p.s. i have noticed this prob on two diff 750's...it also happens on other wm6 devices...so either its a prob of ttn or wm6??
    No issue here. TTN6 mutes it's voice during an incoming call and switches it back on when the call ends.

I'm using the vanilla ROM, Bluethooth GPS receiver and Sony Bluetooth headset.

Y.
    Treo 750 WM6 ROM (was 3 Australia, now vanilla) + 2GB miniSD
    Tungsten T3

no longer (thank goodness):
    Dopod 838 Pro
    i don't really understand why you guys keep waiting for it, are you just wanting something straight from AT&T? i have the xda wm6 rom installed on my 750, been using for about a month or two and i HAVENT had any problems with it. i have all functionality with everything, it runs great, very stable...

...maybe someone can tell me what the big deal about this wm6 rom?
    Quote Originally Posted by fventura03 View Post
    i don't really understand why you guys keep waiting for it, are you just wanting something straight from AT&T? i have the xda wm6 rom installed on my 750, been using for about a month or two and i HAVENT had any problems with it. i have all functionality with everything, it runs great, very stable...

...maybe someone can tell me what the big deal about this wm6 rom?
    You don't run the risk of bricking your phone if you are using a supported OS.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yud View Post
    No issue here. TTN6 mutes it's voice during an incoming call and switches it back on when the call ends.

I'm using the vanilla ROM, Bluethooth GPS receiver and Sony Bluetooth headset.

Y.
    i dont know y, but it does not work for me!!!
    i will really appreciate if u can send me the installation file u use..i have also tried the update for t750 put up by palm...but same thing...thanks
    I have the Palm bundle. Works a treat with WM6
    Treo 650 -> Nokia N91 (why?) -> Treo 750 unbranded

Finally on HSDPA - Theanks 3
    Hello all,

Someone told me that some of my posts had been linked to on here so I thought I would claify a few things.

First, the reported issues with Tom Tom and WM6.

On Palms website they stated that there was an issue with WM6 and TomTom GPS Solutions, this was for the 750v update. I know that since then there has been a patch released by Palm that will correct this.

Go here and look under restrictions:
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...Case=Obj(2031)

I know that since this release, there has been a patch made available by Palm to address issues with TomTom Navigator 6.

Delays due to GMM:

GMM 5.0 is now available, and was supposed to fix compatability issues between that program and WM6, however at the present time, even the website states compatability with WM5, no where is it stated that it is compatable with WM6. If this is still causing the hold up, I do not know.

I actually made two seperate posts regarding the delayed release and the fate of the Treo 750, and I think that my first post has been quoted more than the second. I actually digressed on my first post after talking with a senior support rep within AT&T, the majority of that conversation is actually posted above.

I posted earlier today on the AT&T Palm forms that I have yet to hear back on the email I sent to said rep earlier today. However I read, on these forums I believe that a tenative date of Oct. 21 was given via a Support Chat session. I find that date hard to stomach for a couple reasons, namely being it is a Sunday, and even AT&T wouldn't be that stupid as to release a Major update, that could easily brick a phone, on a day when support is closed. If I had to bet money, and thankfully I don't, on a release date, I would wager on sometime this coming week as the major tradeshow is going on, and I'm sure that AT&T would like to have SOMETHING to make a big announcment about.

On a side note, I read that AT&T has launched its HSUPA in select markets. Read more here: http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...upa-this-year/ If that is what they have been waiting on, the ability to incororate HSDPA AND HSUPA in a single bundled update, then great, I just wish they would have been up front about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcc4444 View Post
    You don't run the risk of bricking your phone if you are using a supported OS.
    oh, i see. i haven't heard of anyone bricking their phone as a cause to using the XDA rom, now i get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fventura03 View Post
    oh, i see. i haven't heard of anyone bricking their phone as a cause to using the XDA rom, now i get it.
    The other issue being warranty. If you look in the support forums on the ATT site, there's a sticky right at the top explicitly stating that any update to a non official release voids the phone's warranty. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but for me it's the worth the wait and the minor frustrations of WM5 for the piece of mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by bellington74 View Post
    GMM 5.0 is now available, and was supposed to fix compatability issues between that program and WM6, however at the present time, even the website states compatability with WM5, no where is it stated that it is compatable with WM6. If this is still causing the hold up, I do not know.
    Although hidden pretty well, I am able to find a few references on Good.com that says 5.0 works with WM6.
    Well that at least is good to know, so we know the holdup is no longer on that particular product. I seriously wonder if the delay now has something to do with the announcments yesterady and today at the CTIA show.