1.    #1  
    > *(Editor note: Malatesta checks in with a review of **SPB Mobile Shell**, easily in the top 5 pieces of software amongst us here at WMExperts. It made HobbesIsReal's list of Must Have Windows Mobile Software for a reason. It's my default "first install" suggestion for any Windows Mobile user - **especially** someone who is new to the OS.)*

Way back in early 2007, I had given up on the Treo 700wx (and touchscreen WM devices in general) to head to the lofty and intriguing world of WM smartphones, notably the Motorola Q. Part of this was the allure of a thin device the other I wanted to try the smartphone (non-touchscreen) version of Windows Mobile.

But I switched back around March of this year and one of the reasons has to do with SPB Mobile Shell ($29.95). In short, it sort of redefined the user interface (UI) for Windows Mobile and vastly improved how I use my Treo 700wx. Indeed, every time I think about switching to a WM smartphone device, I pause and remember I’d be giving up on Mobile Shell too. So why all the fuss? I hope to explain below…

Read on for the full review!

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/so...ile_shell.html
    Great review of a great product - you managed to be as compact and useful as the app itself. Nice job ...
    Great review Malatesta, mobile shell's added functionality and that "now" screen actually give the iPhone a run for its money (speed and functionality-wise). Lord knows why microsoft doesn't have enough insight to design something like this directly into the OS, but I guess that's why microsoft is microsoft and apple is apple.
    I guess then that I am in the minority in thinking this is an overrated, overbloated, destined for an uninstall piece of **@#&@*#^.

A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I guess then that I am in the minority in thinking this is an overrated, overbloated, destined for an uninstall piece of **@#&@*#^.

You are not alone. I agree that its overrated. Unless the form factor of the device is designed to utilize the UI, it will always feel tacked on.

Surur
    I tried this program twice for a couple of days each time.
    I don't get it.
    The new menu structure of where it locates things and how to find them doesn't seem very logical to me, and part of the beauty of this device is that it can present so much info right up front, without having to go to tabs and navigate to find things. It seems like it takes more clicks to accomplish the same tasks with it.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post

Well, I have yet to see anything in the Smartphone world that everyone agrees on, lol. I mean even in every Slingbox discussion someone always chimes in saying how they think it's a waste and prefer Orb.

As far as "overbloated" that I'm not sure about. If you mean feature-wise, than maybe if you don't use half of it. But it takes up < 2mb of ROM and uses between 1.5-2mb of RAM, which are both quite small for such a comprehensive program.

I'll be honest, up till Mobile Shell I didn't like SPB much--I always thought PocketPlus was bloated and programmed well. But something happened and they've been turning out some solid products like Shell, Insight, Phone Suite & even the new Pocket Plus. I was shocked that I liked Shell so much.

Also, I would suggest perspective taking: for newbies to WM, Mobile Shell makes using WM infinitely easier to navigate and use. I've had a couple of people, new to WM, try it out and swear by it. But, at the end of the day if you don't need more today space, like the default Start menu and don't need a Now Screen, then obviously it's not worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    I tried this program twice for a couple of days each time.
    I don't get it.
    The new menu structure of where it locates things and how to find them doesn't seem very logical to me, and part of the beauty of this device is that it can present so much info right up front, without having to go to tabs and navigate to find things. It seems like it takes more clicks to accomplish the same tasks with it.
    Re: the today screen/tabs, the issue for me is this:

I want to display
    (1) Weatherpanel with 130px theme
    (2) One week of appointments
    (3) Ultimate Search
    (4) PhoneAlarm with my custom large icons

I can't possibly do that on a single screen without 2/3 of it being off screen. So for me, the default way just doesn't cut it. The tabs fix this for me with just an extra push of a button and no delays.

Re: Start Menu
    Did you customize it and set up your programs in the lists? Because you can add and delete programs from any of the default Categories--they just don't go under "Programs". That's why in my screen shot for "Internet" I list my custom apps:

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Great review Malatesta, mobile shell's added functionality and that "now" screen actually give the iPhone a run for its money (speed and functionality-wise). Lord knows why microsoft doesn't have enough insight to design something like this directly into the OS, but I guess that's why microsoft is microsoft and apple is apple.
    Thanks Merlyn and I agree, MS needs to get a better UI department. Mobile Shell should be the default UI on these devices. Even HTC recognizes this with their Today plugin and TouchFlo system.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I agree that this is useful for newbies used to Palm OS or other GUIs.

And you are right that not everyone can agree on anything. But people actually think Orb is better than Sling????
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I love SPB Mobile Shell... it could be a better...I had to get SPB Diary after I got Shell though.
    I had to ditch my 700wx for a Blackberry...