1.    #1  
    I've often expressed jealousy about the iPhone's web browser. It makes me green with envy and gives me a bad attitude overall - Think Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Raphael on a bad day. After using mobile Safari, Pocket IE makes me want to drive a
    Sai into my screen. Green. Angry. Chip on my shell shoulder.

I digress. A lot.

The point, though is that Mobile Safari is based on WebKit, as are desktop versions of Safari (Mac and Windows), Linux's Konqueror (basically), Nokia's browsers, future Trolltech Linux Smartphones, and others. It's a great rendering engine and it's been proven to work well on mobile devices. Soon we'll be able to add another mobile device category to that list: Windows Mobile. Wake 3 is in the process of developing a WebKit-based browser for Windows Mobile.

The video below, besides offering some fun music (turn your speakers down, cube-dwellers), shows that the browser already works. It has a ton of promise - it just looks like they need to do some UI tweaking. First on my list would be making it more iPhone-like: add the tap-to-zoom feature (and make it smarter than Deepfish) and I'll pay you an unreasonable amount of money for this, Wake3.

WebKit is the world's best mobile web browser, used on Apple's iPhone and Nokia’s Series 60 handsets.  Now it runs on Windows Mobile--brought to you by Wake3. 
    Read: Wake3 via WindowsForDevices

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/wa...fari_to_y.html
    I have a confession. I have never even touched an iPhone. I've only seen one in person once, and the guy who owns it looks like such a dysfunctional geek I couldn't bring myself to strike up a conversation.
    I haven't been into an AT&T store to look at one, because honestly, I have no interest in ever owning one. Not gonna switch carriers, not gonna be happy with a virtual keypad.
    But recently I've come to realize there's got to be something to it. "Duh, Doom." Yeah I know. The constant mention of Safari as the best mobile browsing experience available has me curious, and this article, basically stating I could have that experience on my current handset soon, has my curiousity piqued.
    So tell me, people, with as little fan fare as possible, what makes safari so great?
    A big part of it is surely the fact that the screen is an incredibly pixel-dense 320x480. It practialy looks like paper, so there's that.

The main thing is it renders quickly and the tap-to-zoom is SMART. It is aware of table cells, DIV cells, frames, you name it. When you double tap on and area, it defaults to set that cell, whatever kind it is, to the width of the phone, and it does it very quickly.

The multitouch helps a lot too, letting you adjust the zoom and necessary relatively quickly.

Basically the whole thing feels fluid and intuitive AND it gives you great readability. it is on occasion an extra tap here or there, but it's also tough to give up.

Oh, and of course - it acts and feels like a full web browser and has a great tab implementation that doesn't waste screen space with a tabs bar.

So yeah, I'm serious when I talk about the green with envy thing...
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 10/12/2007 at 11:01 AM.
    Alright, awesome. When can we expect this puppy? Because now I'm all curious.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Wait a minute!

Does this mean that we can expect to see the same type of browsing functionality from an iPhone on the HTC Touch?

Where you load an entire web page, and then tap to zoom and scroll?

I couldn't get that from the video, but from the comments.
    It looks like the zoom stuff isn't built-into it yet, just the basic rendering engine for the entire page.

But yes, we're hoping that's the idea. Just not sure when it will be released.
    A back end technology doth not a browser make. I have no doubt that Webkit will be, or rather, has been ported to WM. I do have serious doubt that they will make it as powerful as the iPhone Safari implementation.

It's not just one element, it's not just the backend, it's the entire experience. While possible, I have yet to see anyone come even close to the experience on the iPhone from e-mail to web browsing. I won't be holding my breath, but if someone does it I'll be happy. Competition is nothing but good.
    Quote Originally Posted by benjaminhigginbotham View Post
    A back end technology doth not a browser make. I have no doubt that Webkit will be, or rather, has been ported to WM. I do have serious doubt that they will make it as powerful as the iPhone Safari implementation.

It's not just one element, it's not just the backend, it's the entire experience. While possible, I have yet to see anyone come even close to the experience on the iPhone from e-mail to web browsing. I won't be holding my breath, but if someone does it I'll be happy. Competition is nothing but good.
    Thats laughable. The iPhone experience is nothing if not easily cloned.

Surur
    So easily cloned, but laughable that no one has come close to providing "an iPhone" look and feel. Let me know when someone comes close. BTW, I don't consider the hodge-podge attempt by HTC Touch Flo (from an overall system perspective) or the browser experience of Opera mini coming close.
    Maybe that has something to do with the cease and desists Apple sent over their precious clownfish.

Surur