1.    #1  
    I have the AT&T 750 w/ wm5 and a 2gb mini sd card.

I have loaded a *lot* of apps... Magic Button, HandyLauncher, Google Maps, Opera, Agenda One, List Pro, Pocket Streamer, various utilities, etc. etc. etc.

My knee jerk approach is to load these apps on the mini sd card to keep from eating up internal memory...

More recently I have begun to think that that is not always the best approach. Some applications that have a component that starts up automatically with the phone after a reset & can have some problems if the applications are not loaded in the phone's internal memory.

Specifically, HandyLauncher will require two successive press and holds on the side button to get it to load--if you don't realize it needs the extra button push, you might think it has hung. Had to do a kludge to stop it from doing that. (copy it to the Startup folder)

Also, the ListPro Alarms feature used to have some problems if you loaded ListPro on the card. They just updated ListPro... not sure yet if they fixed it.

Lastly, Agenda One sometimes won't run at all... the phone seems to lose it and forget it is on the card. I am seriously thinking of reinstalling it in internal... just concerned it will eat up too much memory.

I am interested in hearing from others how you decide where to put your applications... internal vs the mini SD card. I don't want to eat up my internal memory with applications, but it seems like some must get put there to function properly.

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!

PM
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    My rule is that any applications I use frequently, or in some way modify the standard behavior, go in internal memory. This would include any calendar or alarm software. Large independent applications I use infrequently can go on the card (games, for example.)
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your reply... your approach makes sense I think.

Time to reinstall some stuff I think. I wish there was a way to just say "move this app from the card to internal memory".

PM
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I generally agree with what holmes4 said, but I am running AgendaOne from my SD card (700Wx) and it runs well. Perhaps could be faster if installed in main memory, but I haven't had any stability issues from the card. FWIW.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The problem I have with running calendar software from the card is that if the card somehow "disappears" (which has been known to happen, though not to me since I bought a SanDisk card), the calendar app stops working. There's a risk of freezing or crashing if you run software that "hooks" into the OS from a removable card. In general it will work ok, but I choose not to do that.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    The problem I have with running calendar software from the card is that if the card somehow "disappears" (which has been known to happen, though not to me since I bought a SanDisk card), the calendar app stops working. There's a risk of freezing or crashing if you run software that "hooks" into the OS from a removable card. In general it will work ok, but I choose not to do that.
    I have had what you mention happen to me, usually at worst possible time... then have to do soft reset. Very annoying to not be able to access calendar and contacts. Drives me nuts...

That is actually what prompted me to start this thread...

I just moved Agenda One to internal memory. Now, however, my Treo is noticibly slower overall. Maybe need some "cleanup"... I don't know. Will work with Pocket Mechanic and see if I can improve the situation.

PM
    get one of the leaked WM6 roms or wait for the official rom from AT&T, the disappearing SD problem is fixed.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    get one of the leaked WM6 roms or wait for the official rom from AT&T, the disappearing SD problem is fixed.
    Waiting on the official rom...
    Not willing to install something that there is no official support for yet.

Besides all of the comments above, there is the issue of what software would I would like to have available if I decide in the future I want to periodically swap out my mini sd card for one of the mini sd wifi cards so I can view web pages very fast on the small Treo screen. In that case, can't use the software on the card if it is not there.

PM