1.    #1  
    In the forums, a recent discussion came up regarding screen sizes, orientation and resolution and which is preferable. Leaving resolution to the side for a moment (since I think it’s universally agreed that higher is better), let's look at what WM devices currently offer and why some orientations are better for certain things than others.

- WM5 & 6 Non-touch screen: 320x240 i.e. landscape. These are devices like the Motorola Q series, HTC Dash/Excalibur and Samsung Blackjack I & II
    - WM5 & 6 Touch screen: 320x240 (very few e.g. Zenum Opus), 240x240/320x320 Square (Treos & Samsung i780), 240x320 (HTC 6700, 6800, Touch, Tilt, etc.)

Overwhelmingly WM devices tend to be 240x320 orientations, and 320x240 for smartphones. Exceptions abound such as the Treo line or the HTC Vox.

So when shopping a device, which is better and for what? Obviously some of this just comes down to personal preference and some people will just flat out like one orientation over another. But besides this there are some practical things to consider when judging a device.

The Full Smackdown is after the break!

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sma...en_type_f.html
    Its only devices with fixed keyboards that make you chose between portrait and landscape. My Universal, Vox, Touch and Kaiser all give you a choice, which is the best of both worlds.

PS: Why is the iPhone used as some kind of benchmark for the ideal UI? Plenty of people are wishing for a landscape keyboard in the e-mail app to type more easily with. Apple does not get it right all the time.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 10/11/2007 at 09:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Its only devices with fixed keyboards that make you chose between portrait and landscape. My Universal, Vox, Touch and Kaiser all give you a choice, which is the best of both worlds.
    Right, which is why I say...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    These devices can have 2.8 inch and larger screens since the keyboard is removed from the front of the device. In a way, these devices have the best of both worlds: for heavy text reading and normal phone operation, the default 240x320 is perfect; for video, switching to 320x240 (landscape) offers a large, nicely orientated viewing position.
    I mean, you basically just paraphrased me.

The fact is, sliding keyboards and orientation switching on not preferable for all people for the reasons I point out. Even after using the 6800 and it's "improvements" I won't be switching to that style anytime soon, but for some high end so called "power users" it's probably ideal.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    PS: Why is the iPhone used as some kind of benchmark for the ideal UI? Plenty of people are wishing for a landscape keyboard in the e-mail app to type more easily with. Apple does not get it right all the time.

Surur
    I didn't mention anything about a UI (the graphical front end) or an ideal one. True, it is easier to type in landscape since the keyboard is wider but as mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta
    However there is one negative side effect: you read an email in one orientation (240x320) and have to respond in another (320x240). This physical switching (and sliding keyboard) is disorientating for some and annoying for others. This switching for the same task is something the iPhone forcefully prevents, which looks to be a design decision not accident.
    This comes down to preference, but ultimately I think Apple did it on purpose. Landscape is more ideal for typing because the keyboard is larger, not because the 320x240 screen looks nicer to type or read on. If the device is wide enough in the first place, like a Moto Q, the need is attenuated.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    While being able to switch between landscape and portrait does indeed offer the best of both worlds, in practice I always find it slower than I'd like.

What I'd like to see - when phones get a little more power (not much more than they already have), it would be cool for some sort of "cache" system where Windows Mobile would draw both portrait AND landscape "behind the scenes" so switching between them could be instantaneous.