1.    #1  
    Hi, I am restoring my phone from new so I can clean it out but won't be able to sync my phone with outlook for a few days. I there any way to save my contacts and calender entries to my storage card before hard reset and them importing them back in after the hard reset? Do you know where the files are?
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I've never figured out how to back them up to the card.

I do a sync. Then from Palm Desktop you can export them to vCal and vCard and import them to your new phone's software.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    spb backup
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23 View Post
    Hi, I am restoring my phone from new so I can clean it out but won't be able to sync my phone with outlook for a few days. I there any way to save my contacts and calender entries to my storage card before hard reset and them importing them back in after the hard reset? Do you know where the files are?
    pim.vol located in the root of the device's file system. You'll need Resco Explorer, or another file explorer that can show hidden files, in order to copy it.

But be careful doing this. Most of the time you will end up with duplicate data when you sync with Outlook.

Your best option is to use a backup utility like Sprite Backup or SPB Backup to backup your data/configuration to an SD card, then (if necessary) you can do a selective restore of either all or some of the files.

I had an issue once where my phone wouldn't connect to the Bluetooth in my car until I hard reset and restored everything but the Registry. (A corrupt entry in the Registry that I couldn't find was the culprit.) Having a backup program was a lifesaver.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I checked show hidden files in the regular windows file explorer and I see a file callem pim it doesn't have a vol after it.
    is that the right file? and if I just copy paste it to my sd card and preform a hard reset and then paste it back to my device will that restore my contacts? if not is there anyway I can back up the contacts only to my sd card (with a free program...)
    thanx in advance!
    -Devin
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Yes that is the same file. As long as it is in the root of you device.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    Yes that is the same file. As long as it is in the root of you device.
    so just copy paste?
    (I deleted a contact and it went up in memory???) does that make sence?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    You don't need any special programs, just copy it to the SD card and re-name it (usually I use today's date). The regular windows file explorer doesn't show extensions, so it will just be "pim", not "pim.vol" as it is with better explorers - personally I like Total Commander (freeware).

The size of the file is totally random in my experience. It can have 300 calendar events, and be a couple hundred K, then I delete a bunch and it still hovers around the same level or sometimes increases. No logic to it.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    so after I hard reset must I repaste it into my device
    and then it will automatically reenter all my contact/calendar entries?
    sorry for all the questions I just am new at this and really don't know anything....
    thanx again
    -Devin
    Yes,

Just paste it back to the root of your device's file system. Be sure it is named pim. (pim.vol in actuality...That is why a better file explorer is recommended, so you can see the extensions).
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    please see next post i messed up.....
    Last edited by DevinF; 11/01/2007 at 04:06 PM. Reason: duplicate post
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    ok it doesnt let me delete it or copy it!
    it just says that its been locked by another program! (but everything else is closed! and yes im using resco)
    help....... why does everything have to be so complicated for begginers!
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Is active Sync running?
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    nope nothing...