Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't know if anyone else has been having the problem I have since about last night midnight, but I figured I should post it here:

My treo kept lagging for about 1 minute whenever I'd try to go to a website. Same would happen when I'd send/receive email in outlook. The odd thing was that once I was on the page it ran fine. Figured it had to be a DNS server issue. I found a fix online.

This will show you how to manually change your dns server. My webpages open faster now than they did before this problem started.

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?p=1404254
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I tried this and it really does seem to bring things up much faster on web browsers at least...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

I've used these DNS servers for years on all my computers. I think they belong to Verizon, and have always been quite fast. Not sure why I never thought to add them to my phone. Thanks for the idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by ydounvme21 View Post
    I don't know if anyone else has been having the problem I have since about last night midnight, but I figured I should post it here:

My treo kept lagging for about 1 minute whenever I'd try to go to a website. Same would happen when I'd send/receive email in outlook. The odd thing was that once I was on the page it ran fine. Figured it had to be a DNS server issue. I found a fix online.

This will show you how to manually change your dns server. My webpages open faster now than they did before this problem started.

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?p=1404254
    I have a 700p on Verizon and yes, I noticed that they seemed to have had internet problems at a couple times today. The way I fixed it was to reset my phone. I never have to do that which is why I mention it.
    YES! This has been happening all week. My email/broswer have been useless. The symptoms are:

1. Browser stuck on "Locating" for long period of time "30-120" seconds.
    2. Poor EVDO performance after.

I spent an hour on the phone with sprint and did everything you can do to this phone. Even a hard reset. They are creating a network ticket.

I just tried the DNS trick and it looked like it fixed it. It looks like Sprint has been having DNS issues since Tuesday and have not addressed it. I'm kinda pissed at this whole situation, especially the hard reset which cost me all my apps.

Oh well, they'll probably discover the DNS problem. I knew it was DNS. I assumed windows-speak "locating" meant "dns lookup."
    Also,

I was in a movie theater last night and got on a roaming network (assuming verizon). The EVDO data flew by. so this is definitely a Sprint DNS issue.
    How do you add these on a Sprint 700P? I've been having this issue for a couple of days I guess and assumed it to be a DNS issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    How do you add these on a Sprint 700P? I've been having this issue for a couple of days I guess and assumed it to be a DNS issue.
    The instructions for changing the settings on Palm OS are included in the link the OP provided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chunk View Post
    The instructions for changing the settings on Palm OS are included in the link the OP provided.
    Tried that but it doesn't seem to work for me. When I attempt to connect I get an message "Error: (0x7301)".
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    ok stupid question but what is dns and if I belong to sprint and use verizon can't they charge me a lot of money?
    also will this help dtreaming video faster...
    help I'm lost....
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinF View Post
    ok stupid question but what is dns and if I belong to sprint and use verizon can't they charge me a lot of money?
    also will this help dtreaming video faster...
    help I'm lost....
    DNS = domain name system ...

"On the Internet, the Domain Name System (DNS) associates various sorts of information with so-called domain names; most importantly, it serves as the "phone book" for the Internet by translating human-readable computer hostnames, e.g. en.wikipedia.org, into the IP addresses, e.g. 66.230.200.100, that networking equipment needs for delivering information. It also stores other information such as the list of mail exchange servers that accept email for a given domain. In providing a worldwide keyword-based redirection service, the Domain Name System is an essential component of contemporary Internet use." (taken from wikipedia)

as to charging $$$ for using a different dns than the ones your carrier assigns ... it hasnt happened to me
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by captblaze View Post
    DNS = domain name system ...

"On the Internet, the Domain Name System (DNS) associates various sorts of information with so-called domain names; most importantly, it serves as the "phone book" for the Internet by translating human-readable computer hostnames, e.g. en.wikipedia.org, into the IP addresses, e.g. 66.230.200.100, that networking equipment needs for delivering information. It also stores other information such as the list of mail exchange servers that accept email for a given domain. In providing a worldwide keyword-based redirection service, the Domain Name System is an essential component of contemporary Internet use." (taken from wikipedia)

as to charging $$$ for using a different dns than the ones your carrier assigns ... it hasnt happened to me
    Thanx, as for the charges are you on sprint?
    one more thing using a different dsn then would not speed my streaming just how I open the site and find it is that correct?
    yes i do use sprint as my carrier and some dns servers are faster than others... i am guessing sprint fixed there dns issues today , because i am now back on the default servers with no lag at all
    Oh my god has the internet been ever so slow in the last 2 or 3 days. The fastest I have been able to get using the DSL reports mobile speed test this afternoon was about 256kpbs and it even dipped down to 125kbps. Before I'd easily get 600-750kbps. Also my phone started to get that "no modem" error and I had to call sprint tech for them to reset my phone information. I even have open DNS as my DNS server but it didn't seem like it was making it any better. The problem I'm now having is that it just seems to hang on PIE; the flag stops waving and it doesn't want to load anything but when I do "send/receive" for my email, it connects. I'm having to manually disconnect from vision then reconnect. I wish Palm would come out with a newer phone as my Treo is starting to annoy me. There's nothing that can replace my Treo unfortunately.
    Sprint PCS ****
    Treo 700wx
    I didnt want to start a new thread so I figured I would post here...

My internet isnt working on my phone today. It seems I can still get text messages, but can browse website. Anyone else having this issue today?
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitchblack98 View Post
    I didnt want to start a new thread so I figured I would post here...

My internet isnt working on my phone today. It seems I can still get text messages, but can browse website. Anyone else having this issue today?
    Nope It's fine for me.

You probably SHOULD start a new thread, and it would also be good to give some more pertinant info - like what carrier you are with and what location. Could very well be a local outage.
    Twitter: @dvdmon

lol thats probably a good idea... I will do that. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    LbSigMan,
    How do you get 600-750kbps. I always get around 240 kbps here in SF Bay Area. Did you change any settings?
    Didn't change any settings at all. Maybe its cause I live in a huge residential portion of Long Beach where there aren't many tall buildings to kill my reception, although reception in my apartment is crap. I wish I could take screen caps to show you.
    Sprint PCS ****
    Treo 700wx
    SF bay area on Sprint as well, and the performance has been awful since last Friday. The DNS issues seem to have been resolved, but the latencies, throughput, and data stalls are still really bad. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast