Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    So, I've been collecting programs to try out and thought I'd do a hard reset and clean my system before starting. I removed all 3rd-party apps, but realized that with Activesync, doesn't it keep a backup of my apps like it does with Palm. Is their a backup directory like on the Palm that I can go in and remove files so that they won't go back on my phone as soon as I sync after the reset?

I'm also trying to decide the best first apps to put on. I guess mem maid and some backup program like Sprite backup would be the best ones to start with, eh?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Wait, further research seems to indicate that apps are not backed up with activesync the way they are with a PalmOS hotsync. Is that right?

It depends how you install them. I like to keep my desktop system as clean as possible, so I almost never use .exe installers through AS. I prefer cabs, so I can keep backup copies on the SD card if I need them later. If you install through AS, though, you should be able to reinstall whatever, as it will keep copies of the cabs in the AS folder in the main programs directory on your system.
    END OF LINE
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Yes, I kind of saw that yesterday - that I was able to reinstall some programs I had removed without having to reinstall them.

Just wondering about your method. Could you do both - keep cab files on the SD card as well as on your PC?

In a related topic, it doesn't seem that Sprite Backup will backup to your SD card? On PalmOS there is a program Resco makes - Resco Backup, which lets you create a kind of image of your system and put it on the SD card. This way if you need to hard reset anywhere you can just run the installer on the SD card and then do a restore and Voila, your system is back to exactly how you left it when you did the backup. It's really handy and I was wondering if a similar app was available for WM, and if indeed such an app would even work in this very different OS???

5. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Yes, I kind of saw that yesterday - that I was able to reinstall some programs I had removed without having to reinstall them.

Just wondering about your method. Could you do both - keep cab files on the SD card as well as on your PC?

In a related topic, it doesn't seem that Sprite Backup will backup to your SD card? On PalmOS there is a program Resco makes - Resco Backup, which lets you create a kind of image of your system and put it on the SD card. This way if you need to hard reset anywhere you can just run the installer on the SD card and then do a restore and Voila, your system is back to exactly how you left it when you did the backup. It's really handy and I was wondering if a similar app was available for WM, and if indeed such an app would even work in this very different OS???
    Ive been using Sprite Backup for the past 2yrs & its never failed me. It actually saves all my backups to my SD card. I highly recommend it.