1.    #1  
    In Part One of this series, we covered How To: Install, Uninstall, and Transfer Files on Windows Mobile. Now that you're an expert on installing, let's take a good look at the What... what software do you want to install and where to find it. Because there is so much WM software out there to choose from, it can be a VERY expensive adventure, trying to figure out which programs you really want or need.

In this part of the the Windows Mobile Guide, I will focus on what are the must have software apps I recommend everyone should have, software apps I would suggest getting, and where to get them all. I will even show you where to get tons of software for free...legally!

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ho...ile_softw.html
    Great article, Hobbes. My first installs are all on your list:

Resco 2007, SPB Shell, Sprite Backup.
    What is the difference between SPB Diary and PocketBreeze / ContactBreeze?
    They are very similar....to the point that I think it is a matter of personal preference rather than a decision of superior features. They both offer their pros and cons when compared in a smackdown style. But truthfully if you are happy with one or the other you will be doing good and not missing much by not using the other.

I personally use ContactBreeze/ContactBreeze probably because I have been using it since before SPB Diary was ever available. I also liked the big screen option it offers for easy one handed finding of contacts. But with the new SBP contacts that comes with SPB Shell (which is what I have assigned to one of my soft buttons), that becomes kind of a dead point.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Movin on up huh Hobbes? Great article and nice to see they added you on!

CLICK HERE

A great free game I found for my PocketPC (don't have a WM phone) is Pocket UFO. It's a free port of the old PC game XCOM. It looks like a very well done conversion. It is from a group of Russian developers. Downloads are here: http://www.smksoftware.ru/index.php?page=110&lang=en
    I've got one I NEED to find?

I need a Windows Mobile version of the old Treo Callfilter software.

http://mytreo.net/store/product.php?xProd=38

Specifically, I KNOW there are a lot of Call Filter apps out there, but NONE of them seem to offer the one feature this did. That is, being able to block a number from making your phone ring, or going to voicemail, or even showing that the number had ever even called you. Anyone know where something like that is???? IF something like that IS?????

Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Hey Doom! SPB Phone Suite comes close. You can add numbers, contacts, etc... to your black list and then set Phone Suite to answer all calls except those on your blacklist. When a blacklisted number calls, you phone will not ring. But it will be included in your call history (which I think would be a benefit for a lot situations), and the blacklisted person can still leave a VM.
    Thanks! Unfortunately the "no VM" thing is the deal breaker! I can't believe this can be done on POS and not WinMo?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    The voicemail issue sounds like the other programs merely ignore the call.
    In order to abort the voicemail, the phone has to answer the call (silently in the background) -- then hang up immediately.
    Disabling voicemail for blocked numbers would otherwise have to happen at the cell-provider's system end of things (and while I'm sure they have the capability, I suspect they'll charge a pretty penny for the privilege).

Problem case might be a call from a blocked party coming in while you're on another call; would need to make sure that it dropped the correct call.

Shouldn't be too difficult to implement for someone who knows what they're doing (that, of course, would NOT be me.)

-Rusty
    Last edited by Rusty J; 10/27/2007 at 03:47 PM.
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    Great article Hobbes! I personally use many of the choices you selected. However, I choose Pocket Plus over Mobile Shell.

I have a question about Phone Suite. When the device receives a voicemail, SMS, or email, does the default system message still activate itself or does Phone Suite override that functionality? I think I recall reading somewhere that the default messagebox still gets displayed. Having that prompt still displayed kind of defeats the purpose of having the phone suite. Can you verify this?

TIA!
    What is showing the weather and traffic?
    It is Marsware Weather Panel. IMHO, it is by far one of the best weather apps every created for WM. But sadly the author of the program totally disappeared several years ago. So there is no longer any official updates or support. But as a testament to it's superiority many have taken up the roll to keep it alive and well.
    While on the topic of weather panel. Mine stopped recieving weather updates. I did not change anything. Anyone else experiencing it?

I agree, up until now it was the best weather applet.
    ok. got it to run. I had some slowing problems when WP was connecting and trying to get the data so I disabled the connection. It looks like it is connecting but it wasn't.

All good now.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
    I've got one I NEED to find?

I need a Windows Mobile version of the old Treo Callfilter software.

http://mytreo.net/store/product.php?xProd=38

Specifically, I KNOW there are a lot of Call Filter apps out there, but NONE of them seem to offer the one feature this did. That is, being able to block a number from making your phone ring, or going to voicemail, or even showing that the number had ever even called you. Anyone know where something like that is???? IF something like that IS?????

http://www.novomobile.com/smartfilter.php
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    That looks like a handy way to get rid of a stalker ex-girlfriend without getting a restraining order. lol

Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    So Hobbes, is there an updated list of reccomendations for the new WM 6.1 pro?
    MS might have changed/ added stuff and moving from POS to it, I am wondering what I will be needing.