1.    #1  
    I'm looking to upgrade my data plan to unlimited. I'm currently at 10mb, which is not enough for what I'm doing, and am paying overage charges (which are ridiculously expensive). So, I have a couple of questions:

1) When I go to the site to upgrade, all the "Data" plans are the MediaConnect plans, which don't seem to reflect the same sub-group of plans I originally chose from. If I do the unlimited MediaConnect for $29.99 will I be able to access what I need (Internet, e-mail, etc.)?

2) When I was with T-Mobile, and had my Treo 650, there was a way to connect to their T-Zones (ie, MediaConnect) for $9.99 unlimited and tweak the port settings so that the Treo could access the Internet. Is there that possibility with Cingular?

I'm just wondering if there's a way to access the Internet unlimited for cheaper than $69/month, which is ridiculous considering how much Internet connections cost in every other faction of technology.

Thanks!
    I've used the $19.99 plan since I was moved from the old blue to orange. That's on a pair of treos, first 650's and now 750's. Best bet is to do it online, if you call them, they'll give you the "smartphone jive".
    Candela is right. This question regularly comes up and it appears that the network has no way of telling what type of data user you are. People claim they can tell by the amount of data you use but I don't buy it. I mean you could sit there and watch video all day on your RAZR with 3G speed and get use a ton of data if you really wanted to. I use an old unlimited $19.99 data plan that is not supposed to "work" with a pda but guess what it does.

Go online and change to the cheapest unlimited data plan you can find.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Login to your account and change your data plan to:

Media Max 200 ...$19.99 and includes unlimited internet and 200 txts
    i too am also tempted to switch to at&t but i was wondering what plans i should look at.

any help would be great.

I would get the cheapest voice plan at 39.99 since i dont talk much
    i need to have unlimited texts, IM's etc
    i used the internet alot so which plan would be the best???

should i just go with the 39.99 voice and 39.99 unlimited data plan?

the price is a little high which is why im not sure i want to switch from tmobile
    Did you read the post right above yours? The answer is there as far as internet. As far as text messages is concerned, AT&T has the $29.99 unlimited text option. That may even have the data combined for less than $50. Go to their site and check it out.
    yes i did but i was unsure of which one. i was trying to see if there was something like t-zones for cingular. t-zones is only 5.99 and i get unlimited email and internet

i guess if i do switch i will just get the $40 voice plan and the $40 data plan which includes unlimited texts as well as internet
    Quote Originally Posted by M5Rahul View Post
    Login to your account and change your data plan to:

Media Max 200 ...$19.99 and includes unlimited internet and 200 txts
    This works. I moved over to this plan for $19.99 today.

For the record, AT&T has no idea I have a Treo 650. They still think I have a 1 year old Nokia 6102i. And actually, I stopped using that 6102i about 4 months ago when I switched to a Motorola Ming A1200 I bought on the side. So don't worry about having your phone "discovered".

And thanks for the money-saving tip, M5Rahul!
    I know it was probably propaganda that they were giving me, but when I asked a rep whether I could switch, of course he gave me the smartphone spiel, but he also said they were now checking each line of service on a regular basis for smartphones that had a mediaconnect plan. He said if it was detected, they would cancel the data plan and put them on a pay as you go for data, charging the .10/KB or whatever it is.

Has anyone experienced this or has everyone that is on mediaconnect been fine?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Over at Howardforums this has been discussed a lot. It appears that some people have had no problems, but others have. AT&T supposedly does check the data plan you have periodically based on the phone that is active in the system at the time. I am not sure that I have read where anyone has been actually switched to a pay as you go plan, but I would not be surprised if they did it. So I would say use caution when using a Medianet plan with a PDA. I would suggest checking your acount online often to make sure that they have not removed it from your plan.
    well i just signed up with att after switching from tmobile, so anyway yesterday i get my bill and its $725 and im like WTF. So i look and when i first signed up i only got the 5mb Media plan, however i knew i needed to switch so not even a week after signing up i changed it to unlimited MEdia. So i call in today to ask why my unlimited plan didnt cover the $625 in usage charges and he said blah blah blah, finally he filed a claim for a refund but he said they would probably only give me about 50% to 75% refund back. I was still mad because ive had this happen a couple times with tmobile and they just say oh dont worry well put an unlimited data plan on and you dont have to pay all the usage charges, so i told him this and he still said the same thing. So im goina be really pissed if i even have to pay 75% of the charges
    tmobile has blackberry unlimited tor 29.99 plus 300 sms and it works great. unlmiited data plan. Just need APN and enter it into the treo and it works.
    Lance
    http://www.aslmentor.com
    (my avatar means "I love you" in sign language.
    --------------------------
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
    Quote Originally Posted by th3godf4th3r View Post
    well i just signed up with att after switching from tmobile, so anyway yesterday i get my bill and its $725 and im like WTF. So i look and when i first signed up i only got the 5mb Media plan, however i knew i needed to switch so not even a week after signing up i changed it to unlimited MEdia. So i call in today to ask why my unlimited plan didnt cover the $625 in usage charges and he said blah blah blah, finally he filed a claim for a refund but he said they would probably only give me about 50% to 75% refund back. I was still mad because ive had this happen a couple times with tmobile and they just say oh dont worry well put an unlimited data plan on and you dont have to pay all the usage charges, so i told him this and he still said the same thing. So im goina be really pissed if i even have to pay 75% of the charges
    Sounds like BS--tell them you were on an unlimited plan and they have no right to charge you beyond that. If they want to tell you that you are not eligible then let them switch you going forward.

I am on the $20 unlimited MEdia net and one of their reps actually sold me on it when I got my Treo 650 2.5 years ago or so. I could see them stopping that plan but they can't just charge you for a bunch of data usage.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Not BS. When you make a change of service plan or feature, the change takes effect with your next billing cycle. You may get some cooperation from a rep to make an immediate change, if you insist and are persistent, but be prepared to spend considerable time on the phone until you can verify that your change is "immediate". The timeframe for the change should've also been spelled out to you during your call, but then, customer service reps aren't exactly paid well enough to expect consistent professionalism.

As for your high bill, you should be able to get agreement to get that reduced, if not down to actual feature rates, at least down to a reasonable figure.
    it is BS because if they want to do me like that then ill just switch back to tmobile where the reps actually care and will simply just take all those charges away and you would only have to pay for the data or text plan
    it is BS because if they want to do me like that then ill just switch back to tmobile where the reps actually care and will simply just take all those charges away and you would only have to pay for the data or text plan
    If you're generally content with TMobile anyway, it may be wiser to just wait for 3G-enabled smartphones to begin surfacing in the future. I've had good experiences with Tmo's customer service, more good than bad, but then I usually get decent customer service from AT&T also. If you're not happy with their response, change.
    I've been on the Medianet unlimited 24.99 plan for quite a few months now and haven't had a problem. It's the same as the 19.99 plan, but includes unlimited texts to other ATT/Cingular customers. And they know that I have the 750 BTW. And I didn't get it from them, I got it new from an unlocked phone shop. All I did was put my sim card in it. I think it was the next day it showed as my device in the online account managment. It also showed the change from the Nokia to the Samsung on my other line, and neither of those are smart phones, just regular old GSM handsets. They're not even 3G. Now I haven't been hit yet, but I take it easy just in case.
    Just found this on Data Plans

http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/patterson/17133

It may, or may not be interesting.
    Just thought I'd share
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Note that the article is from April and is already obsolete, at least in terms of the iPhone. I'm not quite sure about the description of AT&T's plan - I do not see that they have a combined voice and data plan for smartphones. Combining the 450 minute voice plan and unlimited data plan is about $90.
    Yea, I thought about that after I posted.
    Oh well,
    It goes well with this 07 thread. :-/