1.    #1  
    I go on certain websites through the phone that have like bottons you press that say like log on or click here or whatever and there is no way to press the bottons on the screen it doesn't do anything, it just brings a pop up window, anyone else have a fix? cause now i know why apple said REAL internet
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    I go on certain websites through the phone that have like bottons you press that say like log on or click here or whatever and there is no way to press the bottons on the screen it doesn't do anything, it just brings a pop up window, anyone else have a fix? cause now i know why apple said REAL internet
    lol

(1) What sites? It might help if you tell us to recreate the situation.

(2) It's probably b/c the site runs Flash, which PIE doesn't do

(3) Have you tried other browsers (Opera Mini, Mobile, Netfront, etc.)

(4) iPhone can't do Flash either, so not much help there

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #3  
    phonezoo.com (good website for free ringers) but for some reason it sends text messages but instead of texting me the ringer, it sends it to my sprint email ...how do i setup my sprint email on my outlook whats the servers and stuff?
  4.    #4  
    btw i figured id try opera mini and did sms download and it downloaded the file in a .jad format and wont open on my phone what do you recommend and what are advantages of using this browser over ie?
    The short answer to your question is because they are not buttons.

Long answer is more technical.

Traditional buttons are either <button> or <input type=button>. This HTML code tells the browser to render an OS type button. These buttons function like most other buttons you would find in desktop applications.

These traditional buttons are rather boring (check out the "Post Quick Reply" buttons at bottom of this page vs the Quote button below this post). To get greater control over appearance early HTML developers used images that are flagged as "links" (<a> tags).

Pocket IE supports both traditional buttons and <a> tag links.

However HTML development has grown beyond basic screen layout and now includes support for more programmatic functionality (click this, pop up that, change the other thing). One aspect of this are events. For example, clicking a button or an <a> tag causes the button's "onclick" event to fire.

Phonezoo uses rather advanced HTML. For their login "buttons" they are not using traditional buttons or images. Instead they are using styled <div> tags with an "onclick" attribute.

Onclick events on <div> tags are not supported by Pocket Internet Explorer.

Another example of why some sites don't work on the mobile format.

And, yes, these buttons probably do work on the iPhone.
    same happens to mine on when i try to hit send on excite.com

pisses me off too...but i have no choice
    i think the not so far future of browsing from phones is going to be the logmein model.

just take a look at the the iexplorer process running on your pc. right now mine is using 88mb of ram, and that's low by normal standards. the downloads of these browsers are huge. it's far from the original concept of a "thin" client and more like a full on operating system in itself.

phones are just not going to be able to do everything these browsers do. so when i am in a bind, i logmein to one of my home servers and browse the web through the server's browser.

a true thin client approach!

with better network speeds and better screens on phones, this seems like the logical direction to me.

moral of the story: don't expect any time soon for your phone to browse like your desktop. i know it sucks, but it's reality.

btw, logmein rules, and it's free.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I have the same problame of not being able to press buttons on cetain web site e.g. on ebay you cannot place a bid, on facebook you cannot send a reply with the messaging feature, and on yahoo you cannot compose new mail.... I am not much witj computers but if one of the many computer whizez on this site could devise a way around it that would be amazing.....