Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    So Sprint's 1.15 update makes DUN/Modem Use/Tethering impossible with the wonderful 700wx. How to fix?

Is there any way to downgrade to the 1.13 firmware?

PdaNet still seems to work, which would be great if I wanted to waste $34, but turns out I don't feel like doing that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozzer View Post
    PdaNet still seems to work, which would be great if I wanted to waste $34, but turns out I don't feel like doing that...
    is it that much of a waste to spend $34 to be able to use your treo as a modem ? one days wifi access at some hotels is $25 so for me the cost was well worth it
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by captblaze View Post
    is it that much of a waste to spend $34 to be able to use your treo as a modem ? one days wifi access at some hotels is $25 so for me the cost was well worth it
    "Waste" was probably not the correct word to use. I agree that treo modem functionality is worth a one-time fee of $34. However I'm a student and as such, after interest has added up that $34 will cost me $80 down the road, as well as stop me from going out for a weekend :-)

If PdaNet can function, clearly there's a way for things to work, and it's really irritating that a phone "update" did nothing for me other than disable functionality. Who are these people, Microsoft?
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Just be glad that you have been able to do the tethering for free with Sprint. Verizon customers have had to pay for PDANet the entire time for pay Verizon extra for the service.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    Just be glad that you have been able to do the tethering for free with Sprint. Verizon customers have had to pay for PDANet the entire time for pay Verizon extra for the service.
    Well either that or I purposely chose Sprint because I know they had free tethering, despite the fact that they have an inferior network and inferior customer service, which I accepted solely because of free tethering due to my price sensitivity. ;-)

Anyone want to exchange their 1.13 or 1.14 ROM'd 700wx for my 1.15 ROM'd one? Perfect condition...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozzer View Post
    Well either that or I purposely chose Sprint because I know they had free tethering, despite the fact that they have an inferior network and inferior customer service, which I accepted solely because of free tethering due to my price sensitivity. ;-)

Anyone want to exchange their 1.13 or 1.14 ROM'd 700wx for my 1.15 ROM'd one? Perfect condition...
    Sprint has never stated that tethering was free. They have always wanted you to use there PAM service. It's just that until recently Sprint did not consistently block tethering.

If you read your agreement with Sprint you will note that it clearly states that your phone is not to be used as a modem for your laptop. So even PDANet users could get dinged by Sprint.

However Sprint has not actively sought to catch users tethering their PCs. Today's modern smart phones use a lot of bandwidth as is, and it appears Sprint feels it is not cost effective to sniff usage to detect traffic not coming from your phone.

DUN does work on the Treo 700wx out of the box on all ROMs. You just need to subscribe to Sprint's PAM service for it to actually work on the later updates.

PDANet costs less than one night out drinking with your buddies, even on a college budget (unless you mooch your drinks )
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    It still seems to work fine on my Apple iBook. Probably because I don't have to use Sprints Connection manager.
    This problem has to be resolved. It is not possible that a supposed fix, can damage other important function of a phone. If there anything that can be done in order to fix this issue? I was able to use USB cable to connect to the internet and now, after the update, I am not able to do it. The update clearly says that it fix some issues with Modem function. Who can you fix something that was having no issues before, and now it cant be ussed?
    Quote Originally Posted by villeban View Post
    The update clearly says that it fix some issues with Modem function. Who can you fix something that was having no issues before, and now it cant be ussed?
    The issue is $print isnt getting the $40 a month it wants for using your phone as a modem ...
    The 1.15 update "fixed" that
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodisi View Post
    Sprint has never stated that tethering was free. They have always wanted you to use there PAM service. It's just that until recently Sprint did not consistently block tethering.

If you read your agreement with Sprint you will note that it clearly states that your phone is not to be used as a modem for your laptop. So even PDANet users could get dinged by Sprint.

However Sprint has not actively sought to catch users tethering their PCs. Today's modern smart phones use a lot of bandwidth as is, and it appears Sprint feels it is not cost effective to sniff usage to detect traffic not coming from your phone.

DUN does work on the Treo 700wx out of the box on all ROMs. You just need to subscribe to Sprint's PAM service for it to actually work on the later updates.

PDANet costs less than one night out drinking with your buddies, even on a college budget (unless you mooch your drinks )
    I'm quite aware of the Sprint service agreement, and have been for several years, no need to be preachy :-)

For the last 4 years Sprint has not blocked DUN with the 6600, 6700, 700wx; now it appears the update has disabled it. Regardless of the agreement wording, it was very reasonable to expect that free DUN would continue given the past service history. (I use it maybe 3-4 times a year while on vacation, but when I use it, I really appreciate it).

And I think you need to be introduced to the concept of "pre-gaming". If $34 is so meaningless to you, feel free to paypal it my way, I'll put it to good use ;-)
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradg33 View Post
    It still seems to work fine on my Apple iBook. Probably because I don't have to use Sprints Connection manager.
    And this is with the 1.15 ROM?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    My phone )700Wx is a week old and I was able to tether with a download from this forum (using laptop with vista).

Maybe I have the 1.13 rom in lieu of the 1.15? How can I tell?
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    You almost certainly have the 1.13 or 1.14 ROM, erm, it's somewhere but I can't remember where now...I wouldn't worry about it, just don't "upgrade" to 1.15!
    oh well, i never got pda net to work reliably with 700wx wired and never on blue tooth. just not enough time to beat it in submission. it worked well on my 650. sighhhhh
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodisi View Post

What exactly is PAM service? When I purchased my phone it was advertised as "use phone as modem"....
    Well I agree with this post. Yes, its broken. I shouldn't have to use PDA Net to make something work that had been working before a firmware *update*

This is crazy. so I guess I'll bite the bullet and either get PDA net or figure out a way around this issue myself.
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Quote Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
    Well I agree with this post. Yes, its broken. I shouldn't have to use PDA Net to make something work that had been working before a firmware *update*

This is crazy. so I guess I'll bite the bullet and either get PDA net or figure out a way around this issue myself.
    If you have any luck let us know. I've been working on it but haven't had any success as of yet.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post

It sounds to me that Sprint finally closed the door to their customers using tethering on the Sprint network for free. Verizon customers have been dealing with this the entire time. And if I have to pay somrthing I would rather pay a one time fee for PDAnet then pay every month.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    It sounds to me that Sprint finally closed the door to their customers using tethering on the Sprint network for free. Verizon customers have been dealing with this the entire time. And if I have to pay somrthing I would rather pay a one time fee for PDAnet then pay every month.
    I agree with that.

However, it just irks me to pay for something I was already getting for free... Also, it irks me that anyone should have to pay for this as we are all already paying for unlimited data anyway.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    So I shouldn't update right?

It's not like I use the DUN, but I would like it use it when I need it is all.

There isn't way around at all after update?

Hope someone finds it, til then, I'm not updating.
    Palm Treo 700W with Verizon PDATP Plan.

Palm Treo 700WX w/ SERO plan

Love both
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast