Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    I came up with this last year and posted it in a 650 forum when I had a 650, The idea didn't go over too bad. I know the Radio portion has since been solved for me due to the fact I now have a 700wx. Please peek at this link and tell me what you guys think......

    http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,48735.0.html
  2.    #2  
    53 Views And Not A Single Reply?..................BUMP
  3. #3  
    No offense, but I think the reason no one has replied is that your idea, however inventious it might be, is preposterous. "The idea didn't go over too bad" is optimistic at best.

    I also don't know what you mean when you say the radio portion has been solved since you now have a 700wx. What hardware capabilities are in your 700wx that were not in your 650?

    Unless you can figure out a way to design your own IR or Bluetooth receiver, integrated that into a board, come up with the proper chips, and then program your own operating system that will respond to beamed codes by powering a servo to unlock your doors... you're SOL. So good luck with that.
  4. #4  
    I agree, this idea makes little sense to me. If anything it would be close to bottom of my list of the top 100 priorities of things to add to the Treo.
  5. #5  
    Every device you mention operates on it's own specific frequency band, which is completely seperate from the cellular frequencies. And you should be glad of that, or you'd be getting interference from garage door openers, car remotes, etc.

    The car will only respond to a remote presenting the right codes on the right frequency. You could program a Treo to transmit the codes, but without adding another radio transmitter it won't be on the right frequency.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6. #6  
    Meyerweb is correct.

    It's like asking why you can't listen to AM/FM radio with your satellite dish, or why you can't use your GE wireless landline home phone on Sprint's cellular network, or why you can't use your garage opener as a television remote, etc. etc. etc.
  7. #7  
    Forget all the technical explanations. This idea is just plain bad. Is carrying a key really bothering you that much?
  8. #8  
    Not such a stupid idea. Lots of kits for adding remote start to cars. They often use their own key fob. Would just be a matter of making the receiver on a device like that compatible with the multitudes of connectivity options with your phone (BT, IR, receive a phone call).

    It would be a hard thing to build yourself, but definitely the companies that make those remote starters would have an easy time of making something that would work.
  9. #9  
    So what happens when you loose your phone? Or leave it at home/office, or your phone battery goes dead?

    That's why there is the saying "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

    Convergence is great, when the single point of failure is acceptable. Entry into my car does not qualify.
  10. #10  
    Yea, I used to have that old fashion way of thinking.

    Here's a quiz for you: If a twin engine airplane can't fly on only one engine, which is safer, a single engine or twin engine airplane?

    I used to carry around 4 things for all my needs: Wallet, cell phone, PDA, and camera.

    Guess what, I was always losing one of those things. Now all of that is one with the 700wx with a case that holds some cash, drivers license, and 1 credit card. The case clips to my belt for easy carrying.

    I never lose my phone, because it's the one thing that MUST be with me at all times. Much easier to keep track of one item. And I never have to worry about someone trying to steal my phone because they don't know it's my wallet. I have had my wallet stolen one more than one occasion (avoid Detroit airport if possible).

    That should answer your question. Unless you are one of these old people that goes around saying, "I've been doing it that way for 20 years, and I don't see a need to change anything."
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo650Man View Post
    Yea, I used to have that old fashion way of thinking.
    ...
    Guess what, I was always losing one of those things. Now all of that is one with the 700wx with a case that holds some cash, drivers license, and 1 credit card. The case clips to my belt for easy carrying.

    I never lose my phone, because it's the one thing that MUST be with me at all times. Much easier to keep track of one item.
    ...
    Carefull there, reread what I posted, especially what is in bold.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodisi View Post
    Convergence is great, when the single point of failure is acceptable. Entry into my car does not qualify.
    So you see your entire counter to my post is invalid. A single point of failure is acceptable to you, fine, with my car keys it is not. I do not want access to my car through my phone. That does not make me "old fashioned", or whatever.

    And your post does not answer the question as to what happens if your phone battery dies, or I suppose you would carry a spare one around with you at all times.

    Obviously, as a Treo 700wx user, I am not
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo650Man View Post
    one of these old people that goes around saying, "I've been doing it that way for 20 years, and I don't see a need to change anything."
    btw - the best way to keep your wallet from being stollen is to keep it in your front pocket, not your rear one.
  12. #12  
    uh, i don't carry 5 sets of keys around with me everywhere i go in case i lose one. do you? guess what? single point of failure. lol.

    a lot of people didn't want no stinking computers driving their cars for them either.

    considering how everything is computer controlled in your car, you are already screwed. the threat of not being able to get into your car because a computer failed you is the least of your worries.

    just don't fight it. and don't be a player hater. hate the game, not the player.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo650Man View Post
    uh, i don't carry 5 sets of keys around with me everywhere i go in case i lose one. do you? guess what? single point of failure. lol.
    What? Keys, a single point of failure?

    You use the same key for your house, your car, and your office?

    That's a neat trick.

    Quote Originally Posted by Treo650Man View Post
    a lot of people didn't want no stinking computers driving their cars for them either.
    Who said anything about computers driving cars?

    Quote Originally Posted by Treo650Man View Post
    considering how everything is computer controlled in your car, you are already screwed. the threat of not being able to get into your car because a computer failed you is the least of your worries.
    Invalid statement. I never said anything about a computer failing. I was talking about batteries.

    Quote Originally Posted by Treo650Man View Post
    just don't fight it. and don't be a player hater. hate the game, not the player.
    "Be Cool" was a good movie, Vince Vaughn is hillarious.

    Your no Vince Vaughn.
  14. #14  
    just give it up.

    when the feature comes out, you don't get to have one. sorry.

    actually i only need one key -- for my car because, guess why? my home and office both have numeric key pads that run off of -- wait for it -- batteries! oh my god!

    i am glad to hear your car doesn't have a battery. you must be starting it using the flatulence from your mouth.

    you just don't get it do you.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo650Man View Post
    i am glad to hear your car doesn't have a battery. you must be starting it using the flatulence from your mouth.

    you just don't get it do you.
    And now a fart joke.

    Attention everyone, this thread is officially dead.

    Move along, nothing more to see here.
  16. #16  
    No one has answered my question. Is it really that hard to carry a key? You have to carry keys anyway. I could see if the thought was to make the phone at as an electronic key for all the places we need keys for. If we were eliminating keys altogether. Where is the joy in getting rid of one key?
  17. WarDogg's Avatar
    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    #17  
    LOL. I want and RFID chip installed in me so that when I fail to pay my taxes the Federal Reserve can cut my finances. Zeitgeist.... Look it up....
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post
    No one has answered my question. Is it really that hard to carry a key? You have to carry keys anyway. I could see if the thought was to make the phone at as an electronic key for all the places we need keys for. If we were eliminating keys altogether. Where is the joy in getting rid of one key?
    I am already down to one key as I said before. The fact that you don't have keyless entry for your house and work is just a personal problem, because I do.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo650Man View Post
    I am already down to one key as I said before. The fact that you don't have keyless entry for your house and work is just a personal problem, because I do.
    You are the luckiest brother!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo650Man View Post
    just give it up.

    when the feature comes out, you don't get to have one. sorry.

    actually i only need one key -- for my car because, guess why? my home and office both have numeric key pads that run off of -- wait for it -- batteries! oh my god!

    i am glad to hear your car doesn't have a battery. you must be starting it using the flatulence from your mouth.

    you just don't get it do you.
    Lol, you're one persuasive guy, Treo650Man. You really know how to structure an argument and convince everyone with your smooth logic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions