1.    #1  
    Well I was one of the lucky few who managed to get in on the Samsung i760 last week and order it during the brief window that Verizon had not locked down the leaked SKU#. Here is my story...

I had a Treo 700w from January 2006 to January 2007 and a Treo 700wx since then. I really thought the i760 would be a great device for me. BT 2.0, wifi, bright big screen, and front dial pad to use one-handed. Seemed perfect. Palm wouldn't get me wifi built in or state of the art BT 2.0 with every profile known to man or WM 6.0, so I'd go get it myself.

First, the good things about the i760:

- Big bright screen (this is the thing I actually liked most)

- PIE was fast even for "tough sites" using just EVDO. Not sure if it was the faster processor or the WM 6.0 improvements.

- Great BT stack. Had every profile and bonded like glue.

- Built in wifi. Not often needed with EVDO, but good to have anyway.

- HTML email (this was the only clear benefit I saw to WM 6.0 for myself. Might be different if we had exchange 2007)

Now the things I did not like:

- No hard ringer switch on the top. Why doesn't every phone have this?

- Awkward placement of the send and end phone keys on the side. Easy to accidentally hit them during a call. Actually, I merely disliked the placement of those keys. What I despised....

- Placement of the Start and Ok keys on the right side of the device. This sucked. Particularly bad since the D-pad was on the left side of the front. Basically, unless you have really big hands it is almost impossible for me to use one-handed, even when I didn't need to slide the keyboard out!

- I thought the front keypad would enable one-handed use for quick typing of SMS. Wrong! It only has ABC text input. They didn't even include T-9! Basically, unless you are using as a phone only, forget one-handed use.

- Power button. Any time I wanted to turn on the phone I had to hit the power button on the top (not easy one-handed for a lefty) or slide out the keyboard. On the Treo I can just hit the send or end or start keys. I have the option to use keyguard if I don't want that for a particular situation.

- No abilty to diable the touch screen during a call. Why don't all WM phones have this option?

- No abilty to choose ringtones for known vs. unknown callers when not linking a specifc tone to a contact. I assumed this was standard in WM 5+.

- WM softkeys not alingned under their screen functions

I could go on, but the basic truth I came to is this...

I have gotten used to the one-handed functionality of the Treo's tightly packed buttons and hard exposed keyboard. I can not live without a one-handed device anymore. I got so busy thinking about what features I wanted, I forgot what I needed.

Well less than 48 hours later, my brand new i760 went back to Verizon. I'm back together with my old Treo 700wx, but with a better appreciation of what Palm did.

I used to make fun of Palm fanboys, but I guess I'm sort of one of them now! (well I still only use the windows version though)

Sigh.. I guess I'lll have to wait for the rumored 800w.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    Sigh.. I guess I'lll have to wait for the rumored 800w.
    ... AND hope that they don't mess with the good stuff. At this point I'm just no sure Palm is smart enough to know that they shouldn't mess around with the critical parts of the Treo experience.

In other words, I don't put it past them to release a new treo without a ringer switch and a stupid button arrangment. Remember they have changed the arrangement of their buttons on almost every device since the Treo 600.
    Oh, btw, thanks for your quick review, this is good stuff. I also cannot believe all phones don't have a ringer switch. Unbelievable.
    Good review. Just goes to show the grass isn't always greener.

Surur
    I agree on the review. I have tried three different WM phones recently, with the 1-hand usage emphasized and none came close to the Treo.

Ben
    Good review. Its amazing, all the hot-looking phones that Samsung has in the wings, and they release this ugly device. I never found it appealing at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    Good review. Its amazing, all the hot-looking phones that Samsung has in the wings, and they release this ugly device. I never found it appealing at all.
    Can you say "N400" ... Samsung tries but usually misses the mark
    Thanks for the report! Luckily, I have not been easily swayed by advertising of any other devices. I very much appreciate all the features of my Treo that other phones don't have (many of which you mentioned) and plan on keeping it until something better comes out. I hope it's the 800, but if that doesn't add to functionality, I'm not changing!

Question: I see numerous people talking about how WM6 has html email. Well, I check my html (web) email all the time on my Treo700wx with WM5. What's the deal?

-Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by captblaze View Post
    Can you say "N400" ... Samsung tries but usually misses the mark
    The i730 and Blackjack were certainly on the mark, and if you check out the "other handhelds" sections you will see 2 that look amazing (for wm phones of course). Then you look at the i760 and wonder why.....
    The i730 and Blackjack were certainly on the mark, and if you check out the "other handhelds" sections you will see 2 that look amazing (for wm phones of course). Then you look at the i760 and wonder why.....
    look at the spec sheet for the blackjack and tell me what mark was samsung trying to hit ?

before switching to my treo 700wx all i had were samsung phones . there have been few models that sprint carried that were capable of half of the things my 700wx is
  11. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post

Question: I see numerous people talking about how WM6 has html email. Well, I check my html (web) email all the time on my Treo700wx with WM5. What's the deal?

-Frank
    HTML email is a feature in WM6 & it doesnt appear as if us 700wx users will be receiving that update.
    Excellent comparison, levinda. Gave you some love on WMExperts.

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/sa...ot_so_hot.html
    Quote Originally Posted by captblaze View Post
    look at the spec sheet for the blackjack and tell me what mark was samsung trying to hit ?

before switching to my treo 700wx all i had were samsung phones . there have been few models that sprint carried that were capable of half of the things my 700wx is
    Yeah but you are comparing PPC to Smartphone, which is not fair. I liked the Blackjack but stuck with the 750 because of the touchscreen (and more verstaile OS IMO).

If you compare the Blackjack to the Q (which is a FAIR comparison), you'd see that the BJ was a better device. Not superior, but better, because of the little things Samsung added on their end. Similar to the Palm/WM tweaks. Some may disagree, but I had the opportunity to use both for a long time, and gave the nod to the BJ.

Did you check the spec sheet of the i780? Check it out:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=152918
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    HTML email is a feature in WM6 & it doesnt appear as if us 700wx users will be receiving that update.
    If html is a feature of WM6, how come I can check my html email on WM5?

-Frank
    You can check it and read it, but it will not be formatted properly

Ex: images will be seen as attachments instead of embedded in the body of the message.
    You can check it and read it, but it will not be formatted properly

Ex: images will be seen as attachments instead of embedded in the body of the message.
    Thank you.

-Frank
  17.    #17  
    Thabks Septimus. In fairness to Samsung, those who are only concerned with a one-handed device for using the phone, speed dial, or smart dial may be ok with it. As long as they understand that other functions will likely be with two hands. I'm sure the 760 would be good compromise solution for some who would like a Mogul/6800 but need a full numeric pad for the phone part.

However for someone who uses their Treo one-handed frequently it is not the device for you.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I know the feeling, I tried a Q9m for about a week coming from my 700w. Nice, but took it back. I use voice dialing all the time and the Q sucked at it. Can't wait for the 800w. Hope it comes out before my 700 dies.

WCK
    You probably could've made some good money if you had sold it on ebay. im surprised that i didnt find any of the early ones sold on ebay. Also, forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a hard ringer button? Is it the button that stops the ring when theres an incoming call?
    Quote Originally Posted by Interference View Post
    You probably could've made some good money if you had sold it on ebay. im surprised that i didnt find any of the early ones sold on ebay. Also, forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is a hard ringer button? Is it the button that stops the ring when theres an incoming call?
    Yes, the Treos have a slide switch on the top of the device that will set the ringer to vibrate. This is much more convenient than having to fumble with a software controlled ringer.