1.    #1  
    Nothing earth shattering about the review. They seemed to like it but honestly there isn't much here on such a low-end device.

Link to FULL Review

With Vodafone stating that they will be offering the Treo 500v free with certain contracts, we reckon Palm might well have a hit on their hands with this phone.
    Our verdict
    Ease of use: 84%
    Build: 82%
    Features: 80%
    Phone quality: 85%
    Value for money: 90%
    Overall: 87%

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Value for money: 90%....what a concept!!!

Just when you thought that the only thing all smartphone buyers care about is how thin the device is.
    To quote:

"We liked the QWERTY keyboard and overall usability of the Treo, and we’d go as far as saying that this is the best all-round Windows smartphone we’ve used to date."

Pretty big statement. Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    To quote:

"We liked the QWERTY keyboard and overall usability of the Treo, and wed go as far as saying that this is the best all-round Windows smartphone weve used to date."

Pretty big statement. Congrats!
    Seeing how the device is more or less devoid of Palm's touches that statement is in fact rather worrying.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Seeing how the device is more or less devoid of Palm's touches that statement is in fact rather worrying.

Surur
    We can never seem to please you Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    We can never seem to please you Surur
    No, its in fact really a concern. Given, the keyboard is Palm's responsibility (and the comments about the bad keyboard referred to the much narrower PalmOS device) the UI is a standard Vodafone UI, meaning other companies are firmly stepping into an area which used to be Palm's main advantage and area of expertise - ease of use.

Palm seemed to have dived straight into being a generic re-brander, without even any special sauce to differentiate them, and this is bad news for future prospects, because it means Vodafone may as well deal directly with Asus, and the device would be identical. This bodes poorly for their future, and they stand a great chance of being dis-intermediated.

Surur
    Who's to say that palm didn't design it and Asus simply built the design. Even if the internals were all of Asus creation and palm did that outward design that is still the most important part. Take the Asus phone that was posted in another thread that is supposed to be the phone that the 500 is based on. The phone looks different than the 500 externally. To me the 500 looks much better and the keyboard is different. The article is also speaking of actually using the keyboard not just the look of it. That is because Palm is using a different manufacturer which in the case of the keyboard appears to be a good move. Let's not forget that Palm has never been a phone manufacturer. They have always used companies like HTC. They simply design the phones and add their extra touches when possible. It is possible that the switch to Asus as the manufacturer will end up being one of the smartest moves they have ever made. Only time will tell. As for "special sauce", that is software/firmware and can always be added in the future.
    No, its in fact really a concern. Given, the keyboard is Palm's responsibility (and the comments about the bad keyboard referred to the much narrower PalmOS device) the UI is a standard Vodafone UI, meaning other companies are firmly stepping into an area which used to be Palm's main advantage and area of expertise - ease of use.

Palm seemed to have dived straight into being a generic re-brander, without even any special sauce to differentiate them, and this is bad news for future prospects, because it means Vodafone may as well deal directly with Asus, and the device would be identical. This bodes poorly for their future, and they stand a great chance of being dis-intermediated.

Surur
    Vodaphone could have dealt directly(they dealt directly with HTC, didn't they), and they didn't. Best Buys could have dealt directly with Foxxcon, and they didn't. Exxon could have dealt directly with Quanta, and they didn't.

Ever wonder why? Because it is not just about the hardware, and brand does matter.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    If the Treo 500 has had FCC approval, as I read somewhere, then it's likely to be on sale in the US at some point, if that is the case then what UI will it use as I can't see Vodafone wanting to let other carriers use the existing one
    Well, since Vodaphone owns a part of Verizon Wireless, they could make it a Vnz exclusive?...
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!

Surur
    At their last call (at least the last one I was on), Ed C spoke of leveraging ODMs more for future models. This is probably the first of a slew.

On Palm's side, its not a good thing, and at the same time it is. Let the ODM deal with customizing for the carrier, value add a few things in (ignoring the PRPRPR $play$ &$quot$;$special$ $sauce$&$quot$;) $and$ $then$ $let$ $support$ $costs$ $be$ $minimal$. $Its$ $not$ $a$ $long$ $term$ $stragety$ $for$ $a$ $outfit$ $the$ $size$ $of$ $Palm$, $but$ $a$ $timely$ $one$.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    As positive as that review was, it all sounds very generic QWERTY WM/Std. I would like to see a head-on comparison between the 500v and the new Q9's and the HTC Excalibur and whatever Blackjack is au current. See if anything truly stands out. The coming Samsung i780 certainly looks like a standout...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    As positive as that review was, it all sounds very generic QWERTY WM/Std. I would like to see a head-on comparison between the 500v and the new Q9's and the HTC Excalibur and whatever Blackjack is au current. See if anything truly stands out. The coming Samsung i780 certainly looks like a standout...
    i780 is a touchscreen.

Q9 is rehashed Motorola mediocrity.

Excalibur is just Dash with 3g and the BJ is just BJ.

All WM Smartphones are generic--there is none that really stands out, imo.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    All WM Smartphones are generic--there is none that really stands out, imo.
    I agree, that was kinda my point...
    If Palm leverages the ODMs to push out inexpensive WM devices, the Palm brand is seen by the masses in carrier stores. Maybe that's their intention.
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    If Palm leverages the ODMs to push out inexpensive WM devices, the Palm brand is seen by the masses in carrier stores. Maybe that's their intention.
    Good point.

Surur