1.    #1  
    Hello!

Do somebody use the Treo 750 with Linux?

Which program is the best for syning the Treo with Linux for the contacts, calender, notes and task?

Any restrictions for working with Linux?

Greetings & THX for answers!

Plattfuss
    Finchsync and synce. Both are beta.
    Which of the 2 do you use? Which is more stable?
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcc4444 View Post
    Which of the 2 do you use? Which is more stable?
    Neither. Synce is definitely buggy still. I wouldn't trust it for anything important. I have > 1000 contacts, tons of appointments, and I can't lose anything. :/

Now, if you have maybe 100 contacts you want to keep synced, and you can just look at them occasionally (or don't care that much if one might accidentically go missing), go for it! It's great for casual use, any will likely get better one day.

Finchsync seems to be solid, but it only syncs to Netscape type applications, and that's useless for me. As well, they've just released a whole new beta, and realistically.. it isn't tested enough for it to be stable.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with a small VMware virtual machine just for this purpose.. to sync my apps.
    I would setup a dedicated Windows box just for syncing the phone it was designed to be used with Windows!!! Whether or not you like MS or not the phone was completely designed from the start to be used with Windows. Any Linux solution will be cluggie at best.
    Thanks. I use Crossover Office for these kind of reasons. However, It gets about halfway through the install and bombs out.

I prefer CO over VMWARE because I can launch Windows apps just like they are Windows apps and not in a virtual machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by albiemanmike View Post
    I would setup a dedicated Windows box just for syncing the phone it was designed to be used with Windows!!! Whether or not you like MS or not the phone was completely designed from the start to be used with Windows. Any Linux solution will be cluggie at best.
    Er.

The only problem is that the solutions are in beta. There is no 'designed for', in the way you are using it, when it comes to computing. Likely in a year, perhaps eighteen months, Linux solutions will be solid.

Frankly, in every case were Linux has decided to surplant Windows, it proves to be more solid, provide better reliability, and is essentially better all around.