1.    #1  
    http://www.slashphone.com/71/6457.html
    This should be the original Asus model that Treo 500 is based on.
    Asus is confirmed as the ODM, but funnily enough that version has wifi...

Surur
    The version shown has a slightly curved keyboard which Treo 500v does not have.
    But it is still possible Asus was the designer leaving out WiFi for cost reasons.
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
  4. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Asus is confirmed as the ODM, but funnily enough that version has wifi...

Surur
    Let me see if I undestand this: Palm isn't designing the hardware anymore, but is instead outsourcing it. Palm is licensing the OS from Microsoft and is sticking Vodaphone's UI on it.

What exactly is Palm doing, other than slapping their logo on it?
    Last edited by ~Q~; 09/27/2007 at 02:43 PM.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    Let me see if I undestand this: Palm isn't designing the hardware anymore, but is instead outsourcing it. Palm is licensing the OS from windows mobile and is sticking Vodaphone's UI on it.

What exactly is Palm doing, other than slapping their logon on it?
    Very good question... Taking out WIFI?

Surur
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

Surur
    If that's the only thing they do, it's a very stupid decision.
    Let me see if I undestand this: Palm isn't designing the hardware anymore, but is instead outsourcing it. Palm is licensing the OS from Microsoft and is sticking Vodaphone's UI on it.

Surur
    And adjusting the ODM design a little?
    Personally, I don't feel anything similar between the Asus device and Treo 500v. You may say the button location. (Please see the button location of this Sony Ericsson phone: http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?...e=pp&pid=10889.) At a glance, Asus device looks more like Nokia E61 than Treo 500v.

During a CC that took place a few days ago, Palms CFO revealed that Vodaphone brought Palm on to brand a device that it in conjunction with MS had already designed. Clearly this was not Palm's normal development cycle. Still it is nice to know that Vodaphone thought highly enough about Palm to chose them to brand the phone. Actually my guess is that Vodaphone knew that Palm was capable of doing some software modifications for the 500V that Palm's competition could not do as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by rvwink View Post
    Actually my guess is that Vodaphone knew that Palm was capable of doing some software modifications for the 500V that Palm's competition could not do as well.
    Except AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $no$-$one$ $has$ $detected$ $any$ $such$ $customization$ $at$ $all$...

Surur
    I read once that no two cell phone networks around the world operate identically. So cell phones set up to work brilliantly on one network sometimes tend to stumble on others. Palm has developed the ability to software fine tune its devices so that they work more efficiently in different networks. Since Vodaphone operates on a number of different networks around the world, my bet would be that Palm maximized the reception of the 500V on different networks that Vodaphone supports cell phones on. That might explain why you haven't noticed any changes.