1.    #1  
    ok so I had posted this over in the WM Multimedia forum like a good soldier, but that forum seems to be a barren wasteland where no man exists.

At the risk of offending the YouTube gods in Zbop's forum, I offer up another solution for full YouTube and video access, that I like a TON. vTap. Just go to www.vtap.com on your device browser, and download the cab file for your specific device.

vtap is basically a self-contained front end search AND playback engine for YouTube and just about any other video site - all in one. In other words, no need to load up TCPMP (which I'd done) and the Flashvideo Bundle cab file, which I'd also done. Yes I used those, and like them, a lot. But - vtap is all in one.

The search process is better as well (maybe the best part actually). Instead of going to a Skweezed version of the full YouTube to find videos, you launch the vTap app, and it has an embedded search process right in it. And it's all one-handed as well. Very nice.

Still in beta right now - grab the cab and see what you think. I'm liking it a lot. www.vtap.com - right on your device browser. They also have a little Today screen plug in.

(love ya Zbop, by the way - not trying to rain on your parade at all; just letting folks know about another cool option)
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Checkin it out now... will report back...
    cool interface but video doesn't play, the program shuts down right as it's about to start, when buffering reaches 99%.

I tried both Smartphone & PPC versions.
    I tried vTap a few days ago, it seemed like a pretty cool piece of software, but I really didn't think it beat flashbundle + TCPMP.

It's absolutely great to have the extra choice though!

BTW - you don't need to use a skweezed version fo YouTube when using TCPMP, the full YouTube.com website works for me without any issues. Just thought i'd point that out in case you didn't know
  5.    #5  
    Yep I knew that but Skweezer just seems to make the page load faster (which of course is the whole point of Skweezer).

G-funk - don't know what to tell you. I've played literally 100s of vids on my 700wx using vTap, with no issues.
  6. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Can you have both flashbundle & vTap installed on your device without them interfering with each other?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    Can you have both flashbundle & vTap installed on your device without them interfering with each other?
    Yep, definitely. Although vTap performance wasn't as good as TCPMP in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    ok so I had posted this over in the WM Multimedia forum like a good soldier, but that forum seems to be a barren wasteland where no man exists.

At the risk of offending the YouTube gods in Zbop's forum, I offer up another solution for full YouTube and video access, that I like a TON. vTap. Just go to www.vtap.com on your device browser, and download the cab file for your specific device.

vtap is basically a self-contained front end search AND playback engine for YouTube and just about any other video site - all in one. In other words, no need to load up TCPMP (which I'd done) and the Flashvideo Bundle cab file, which I'd also done. Yes I used those, and like them, a lot. But - vtap is all in one.

The search process is better as well (maybe the best part actually). Instead of going to a Skweezed version of the full YouTube to find videos, you launch the vTap app, and it has an embedded search process right in it. And it's all one-handed as well. Very nice.

Still in beta right now - grab the cab and see what you think. I'm liking it a lot. www.vtap.com - right on your device browser. They also have a little Today screen plug in.

(love ya Zbop, by the way - not trying to rain on your parade at all; just letting folks know about another cool option)
    Hey JohnnyMac, no offense taken, I firmly believe in having many options and you use whatever suits you at the time. That's the beauty of using Windows Mobile and an open development platform. And hey, if I had 28M in startup investment and 3 years to work on it, I'm pretty sure I would have done a little bit more myself But anyways, the whole point to my releasing the FlashVideoBundle was so you could directly use the website as it was intended.

I have played with vTap and yeah it's pretty cool. I think for some people it may be a better option. For me, I just didn't like the interface and thought the quality of the streaming was not as good. But the simple search and the lower-bandwidth streaming may be just what some people want.

It's funny I hear people saying that the vTap player is so much better than TCPMP, but what you don't realize is that their player *IS* a hacked-up version of TCPMP. They threw some menus on it to interact with their search engine, but it is TCPMP underneath. Trust me, I checked into it

The other thing to note is that using it for free is probably going to end and it will be a fee-based service once they are out of beta.
  9. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Ok,so from what I gather so far, vTap only streams YouTube vids. All the additional vid sites that zbop enabled, wouldnt stream using vTap. Am I right?
    vtap seems to be working great for you tube
  11.    #11  
    I've watched Google Vids on vTap as well as YouTube - probably others but I wasn't paying attention.

I think that for the generic, non-techie user, vTap can make the process easier to get going with watching videos. Yes I have and use TCMPM and Zbop's app, but will my clueless lawyer brother be able to install both those apps and get them going on his device? He can easily go to vtap.com and do the OTA install....maybe the combined FlashVideo cab file is an option..?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    I've watched Google Vids on vTap as well as YouTube - probably others but I wasn't paying attention.

I think that for the generic, non-techie user, vTap can make the process easier to get going with watching videos. Yes I have and use TCMPM and Zbop's app, but will my clueless lawyer brother be able to install both those apps and get them going on his device? He can easily go to vtap.com and do the OTA install....maybe the combined FlashVideo cab file is an option..?
    Yeah, it does index ALOT of different web sites, so it is pretty good in that respect. One notable exception is that it seems to index stage6 (divx) content, but it cannot play it.

I agree with you 100% on the ease-of-use factor. Like I said, it's a better option for some. My implementation requires many moving parts to operate together (TCPMP, flv codecs, javascript, PIE and my code) and ALL of them have bugs and limitations. Most of this would be solved if we had a decent browser, but we have what we have...

I've thought about modifying TCPMP and/or bundling everything together in a simpler-to-use package, but have decided against it for one reason, GPL. The minute you modify TCPMP and redistribute, all sorts of other issues come in regarding 3rd party licensing, etc. Which is kinda interesting, since the vTap player is based upon GPL source code, they may be violating GPL if they aren't releasing the source code (unless they have a magical deal with the CorePlayer team that allows them to do otherwise).

BTW, another interesting thing I found is a reference to SlingPlayer in their binary. Not sure what else they are doing or have planned, hmmm...

EDIT: my apologies, I just noticed that they released the source code to their player. Nice move on their part!
    Last edited by zbop; 10/01/2007 at 03:23 PM.
    it might just be the video i sampled but the sound quality doesn't seem to be very good. but it is always good to have alternatives.

ps- i agree with Zbob, as soon as that is perfected they are going to capitalize on it.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Yeah, it does index ALOT of different web sites, so it is pretty good in that respect. One notable exception is that it seems to index stage6 (divx) content, but it cannot play it.

I agree with you 100% on the ease-of-use factor. Like I said, it's a better option for some. My implementation requires many moving parts to operate together (TCPMP, flv codecs, javascript, PIE and my code) and ALL of them have bugs and limitations. Most of this would be solved if we had a decent browser, but we have what we have...

I've thought about modifying TCPMP and/or bundling everything together in a simpler-to-use package, but have decided against it for one reason, GPL. The minute you modify TCPMP and redistribute, all sorts of other issues come in regarding 3rd party licensing, etc. Which is kinda interesting, since the vTap player is based upon GPL source code, they may be violating GPL if they aren't releasing the source code (unless they have a magical deal with the CorePlayer team that allows them to do otherwise).

BTW, another interesting thing I found is a reference to SlingPlayer in their binary. Not sure what else they are doing or have planned, hmmm...

I work for Veveo Inc. who provide the vTap service. Please stay tuned for our developer program. If you have any further questions, email us at developer@veveo.net.
    Quote Originally Posted by aalvino View Post
    I work for Veveo Inc. who provide the vTap service. Please stay tuned for our developer program. If you have any further questions, email us at developer@veveo.net.
    That's cool, but are you talking about opening up the API to your servers, or about opening up the player?

I was more curious as to the lack of any GPL license in your lengthy EULA, except with respect to Wikipedia content.
    some of the videos that i watched on YouTube didnt show up in vTap search no matter how specific the search was. Is vTap a reduced list of videos just like youtube mobile?
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    That's cool, but are you talking about opening up the API to your servers, or about opening up the player?

I was more curious as to the lack of any GPL license in your lengthy EULA, except with respect to Wikipedia content.
    Stay tuned. More details to follow in the next few days.