1.    #1  
    Self professed tech *****. Just got a new Treo 700wx thru Alltel. Was surprised to learn that it has a WM 5 platform and not a WM6. Why would a new phone have an older platform. Then that brought up "What's the difference between the 2 and do I need to worry about upgrading already? Any help would be much appreciated, just remember to bubbafy it for me(keep is simple).
    Unfortunately the 700wx isn't that "new" its been around since about this time if not a little earlier last year, its like that last minute comptuer that came out with XP when vista was right around the corner. If I was you, and you wanted WM6 I may look at running back within your 30 days and exchanging it for the PPC 6800. Its the only Alltel phone that has WM6, I have Alltel too. I'm trying to upgrade to the 6800 already for that reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFiDawg View Post
    Self professed tech *****. Just got a new Treo 700wx thru Alltel. Was surprised to learn that it has a WM 5 platform and not a WM6. Why would a new phone have an older platform. Then that brought up "What's the difference between the 2 and do I need to worry about upgrading already? Any help would be much appreciated, just remember to bubbafy it for me(keep is simple).
    Very little functional difference. Mainly better memory management (presumably) and slightly improved Interface (presumably).

WM6
    -WM5
    -----

-Frank
    Ability to have html mail and search the exchange server.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks ya'll. I think I'll keep it. It does pretty much everything I need it to. I'm just playing the dickens trying to customize it with themes and skins right now. Again, appreciate the education.
    i went from a WM6 device (Mogul) to WM5 (Treo 700wx) recently and except for the UI skin, I can't tell the difference at all. Memory was a nightmare anyway on the Mogul so I wouldn't know what is improved in that department on WM6.

The only actual difference I can notice is the HTML email, which is not a big deal at all to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFiDawg View Post
    Functional differences:

- HTML email (I do like that, but it is not a deal breaker)

- Better exchange server features for Exchange 2007 (e.g. you can set an "out of offfice message" from the device). Of course these features are not useful unless your work has Exchange 2007. For example, mine is Exchange 2003 only.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net