Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After being a loyal Palm fan for 10 years now, I could no longer wait for AT&T to come out with a 3G version of the Treo for the Palm OS, it never happened. I broke down and purchased a 750w and I am VERY VERY disappointed in it. Maybe WM6 will be drastically better, but I have no idea now when it will be available. To add further insult to injury the Treo 755p is only offered on Sprint.

Here are my issues:

First, the WM IE doesn't work with any java scripted sites out the box, friggin brilliant!

Second, nothing is intuitive with regards to the phones operation features. Mute button, speakerphone etc.

Third, the 3G speed is really not that fast at least not in my calling area which is NYC!

Fourth, the ease of use is just too cumbersome for a PDA in my opinion . The Palm OS is so far superior in terms of ease of use and logical layout.

Overall I think I am going to return it for my money back and just wait until the Linux Palm OS comes out in Q1 2008.

Yes, I am a WM5 newbie and I am sure there are a lot of people who will look at this thread as a waste of time, but again comparing the WM OS to the Palm OS, there is NO comparison for PDA use in my humble opinion.

Talk about flame bait....nice first post.

Try WM6. You will transform the thing into a phone. Then check out apps such as SPB Mobile and SPB Diary to help make the thing more of a one-handed operation.
    You need an iPhone. All newbies should be directed to buy one.

Surur
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    You need an iPhone. All newbies should be directed to buy one.

Surur
    Dumb comment.

No I don't need an iPhone, it's too limited for my needs, I need the Palm OS. I have had a few Treo's, love them, but HATE the WM5. The 750 would be perfect with the Palm OS, but oh well for now.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Talk about flame bait....nice first post.

Try WM6. You will transform the thing into a phone. Then check out apps such as SPB Mobile and SPB Diary to help make the thing more of a one-handed operation.
    How am I going to try WM6, it's not offered yet to AT&T subscribers?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    By using the leaked version
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    By using the leaked version
    Ok, sounds good. Dumb question, can it be rolled back to WM5 if I decide I don't like it still? Reason I am asking is that I have 30 days to test this phone and if I don't like it I can return it for a full refund. I am asking can one procure WM5 very easily ?
    If you are planning on returning it within 30 days, I wouldn't put a leaked rom on it. I have wm6 on my ATT treo750 and it works well....but it's basically a minor upgrade from wm5. WM5 did everything I needed it to and the the treo is a great phone/pda (IMO)....but if you don't like it, you don't like it...

***If you don't like wm5, I don't think you'll love wm6. Sounds to me like you should return it and try something else (ie stick with palm OS)***
    Mike

Eph 2:8-9
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmtnskier View Post
    First, the WM IE doesn't work with any java scripted sites out the box, friggin brilliant!
    Like what? Examples might help

Second, nothing is intuitive with regards to the phones operation features. Mute button, speakerphone etc.
    Unfortunately they're hidden in the right soft key menu on WM5 (I built a little app called InCall to make it a little easier on WM5). In the WM6 ROM (leaked) for AT&T they've added them to the screen while on a call for easier navigation thankfully, but then if you have the touchscreen disabled when you're on a call, you can only see the tops of them

Fourth, the ease of use is just too cumbersome for a PDA in my opinion . The Palm OS is so far superior in terms of ease of use and logical layout.
    You need to give it time. It's different and takes getting used to, but I find it just about as easy to navigate as PalmOS after a while
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I don't think wm6 will do any good to you. If you don't have any patience to use a new OS, you'd better return it for a refund.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Overall I think I am going to return it for my money back and just wait until the Linux Palm OS comes out in Q1 2008.
    Look, get an iPhone. There wont be a PalmOS Linux till 2009, and you obviously cant be bothered to read a manual.

Surur
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Look, get an iPhone. There wont be a PalmOS Linux till 2009, and you obviously cant be bothered to read a manual.

Surur
    I see why you have over 4000 post....endless amounts of banal pointless suggestions...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewchandler View Post
    If you are planning on returning it within 30 days, I wouldn't put a leaked rom on it. I have wm6 on my ATT treo750 and it works well....but it's basically a minor upgrade from wm5. WM5 did everything I needed it to and the the treo is a great phone/pda (IMO)....but if you don't like it, you don't like it...

***If you don't like wm5, I don't think you'll love wm6. Sounds to me like you should return it and try something else (ie stick with palm OS)***
    Thank you for your constructive input. I think you hit the nail on the head about not loving the WM6. I might just have to suck it up and get a Treo 680 and deal with EDGE network for another year.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    I don't think wm6 will do any good to you. If you don't have any patience to use a new OS, you'd better return it for a refund.
    I hear you. I tried to give it a chance, I read the manual configured my unit to my liking, but it's more of a 2 handed system with WM than a 1 handed system with the Palm OS. What's frustrating is that AT&T bet on Palm to deliver the Linux OS in late 2007 originally and then in Q1 2008 so they didn't agree to bringing on the Palm 755p like Sprint did. I can't use Sprint because their network is so limited.
    What parts are two handed? I can do almost everything with 1.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Like what? Examples might help
    Banking websites
    Netflix
    Other encrypted sites that run java scripts

I wanted to download Opera Mini, but according to their support page it does not work on the Treo750w.

Unfortunately they're hidden in the right soft key menu on WM5 (I built a little app called InCall to make it a little easier on WM5). In the WM6 ROM (leaked) for AT&T they've added them to the screen while on a call for easier navigation thankfully, but then if you have the touchscreen disabled when you're on a call, you can only see the tops of them
    That is good to know that in WM6 is on the screen during a call. That is identical to the Palm OS while a call is in progress.

You need to give it time. It's different and takes getting used to, but I find it just about as easy to navigate as PalmOS after a while
    Yes you're probably right, I am being a bit impatient. However, I have been using Windows longer than the PalmOS, one would think I should be able to get use to it, but it's very much an OS that requires using the stylus to move quickly around. I am going to play around with it for a few more days.

Thank you for taking the time to post positive suggestions.
  17.    #17  
    What parts are two handed? I can do almost everything with 1.
    Meaning that I need to use the stylus to get through the commands and navigate quickly. With the PalmOS I could do anything with one handed through the 5 way button etc.
    I went through the same adjustment coming from a Treo 680 and Chatteremail. WM5/6 definitely needs help from third-party apps to approach the ease of use of Palm. But there are a lot of upsides for me beyond UTMS (which I needed due to my frequent international travel). For me having BT headset working along with TT6 is terrific. I also like Activesync to my Exchange server quite a lot since changes to my calendar and contacts are darn near real time now between desktop and phone without having to sync things up.

You need to figure out what is really important to you. Email is my top app and I have multiple accounts so I had to find a way to get a pseudo-chatter interface in order to live with mine. TT6 works very well for me on my 750 - I often ran into memory issues with my 680. The phone app is fine for my needs and BT2.0 seems better to me on the 750.

So I get what you are saying - the Microsoft UI is just plain cumbersome compared to POS. But if you give it time and spend more $$ on third-party apps you can make due with it. But if you only bought the 750 for 3G speeds I frankly think you'll be better off doing just what you said - return it and stick woth POS until a POS-3G phone ships.
    I can see your comments/concerns regarding the "ease of use" of the Palm OS vs. WM5. I remember similar feelings when I went from a Palm Pilot to a Dell Axim running Windows Mobile 2003. At first I thought I was never going to come to like the WM OS on the Axim. I decided to give it a shot and give myself at least a couple weeks to really use it and then make a decision. I'm glad I stuck with it. While WM is certainly not perfect I do really like the fact that it multi-tasks which is something the Palm OS cannot do. This really comes in handy. I agree with you that Pocket IE is frustrating with some functionality like Java missing but overall I really like the browsing experience that Pocket IE provides. I.E. fonts actually look like they were intended to. Try adding something like Pocket Plus and make the Pocket IE even better with multiple tabs etc. Another thing that will help you in regards to system stability would be to get a program that actually closes the open programs when you click the "X". Programs like iLauncher or Magic Button will do that (just to name a few).

Hope this helps.
    Meaning that I need to use the stylus to get through the commands and navigate quickly. With the PalmOS I could do anything with one handed through the 5 way button etc.
    You can do everything via either the 5-way, the left/right buttons, the windows mobile start menu and OK key.

I never touch the screen unless it is for an app that requires it. The only time I need to touch is when I choose to use SmallMenu's task closer which is currently not d-pad compliant. I can use iLaunchers task closer mapped to the press/hold of the ok key which is totally d-pad compliant. Sling Player is also not WM5 menu compliant.

The argument that WM needs any kind of screen touch is pretty much non-existent, especially on a WM Treo.\

I wanted to download Opera Mini, but according to their support page it does not work on the Treo750w.
    You can run Opera Mini, you need to install a Java Midlet Manager.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1231472

Works great and has become my primary browser.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast