Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmtnskier View Post
    Banking websites
    Netflix
    Other encrypted sites that run java scripts

I wanted to download Opera Mini, but according to their support page it does not work on the Treo750w.
    Opera Mini definitely works, there is just a trick to it on WM devices.

Read here: LINK

That'll fix your browser issues for sure, especially banking.

If you are coming from POS to WM, all I can say is this: Take a deep breath and approach slowly.

POS is simple and intuitive, but you'll learn that WM is very powerful and infinitely customizable. Just learn some of the basics, read the forums here (and if I might drop ppcgeeks.com too, lol) you'll quickly appreciate the bright points of WM. It's not perfect and yes the UI is a bit kludgy, but just walk with it and you'll adjust to its quirks.

Trust me: I did the opposite: WM to POS and I found it pretty opaque until I learned the ropes/lingo/tricks.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Banking websites
    Netflix
    Other encrypted sites that run java scripts
    Some of this may also be caused by the Cingular/AT&T proxy that's hardcoded but can be disabled by a registry change. In the WM6 ROM they give you a "app" that allows you to make this change without going into the registry directly to make it. Also, changing the UserAgent string in the registry can also make this work if it's not a proxy issue.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  3. kuj
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    After being a loyal Palm fan for 10 years now, I could no longer wait for AT&T to come out with a 3G version of the Treo for the Palm OS, it never happened.
    You should blame Palm and not AT&T. A search of this site yields the following: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=129605

This is from post #4 in the above thread:

Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    The 750 series is supposed to be able to support the new high speed networks from each carrier (Cingular, Sprint, etc.). Palm OS does not support the high speed network (UMTS / HSDPA) that Cingular and T-Mobile will eventually have all over their networks. However, the next version of Palm OS that comes out is supposedly based on a different operating system (Linux / ALP) and that operating system supposedly support UMTS / HSDPA.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    The simple fact that WM can multitask and the Palm OS cannot makes it a winner in my eyes. I originially used Palm PDAs until I got a Dell Axim. Then I went to a Treo 650 and couldn't stand the Palm OS after using WM....thus the reason why I upgraded to the 750.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    I went through the same adjustment coming from a Treo 680 and Chatteremail. WM5/6 definitely needs help from third-party apps to approach the ease of use of Palm. But there are a lot of upsides for me beyond UTMS (which I needed due to my frequent international travel). For me having BT headset working along with TT6 is terrific. I also like Activesync to my Exchange server quite a lot since changes to my calendar and contacts are darn near real time now between desktop and phone without having to sync things up.
    That was part of the reason for me getting the device. Although I had Exchange Active Sync with my Treo 650, I wanted real time Push Technology versus having to pull my emails and calendar changes etc. Since I work both onsite and off and remotely I wanted more real time access.

You need to figure out what is really important to you. Email is my top app and I have multiple accounts so I had to find a way to get a pseudo-chatter interface in order to live with mine. TT6 works very well for me on my 750 - I often ran into memory issues with my 680. The phone app is fine for my needs and BT2.0 seems better to me on the 750.
    Email was the number one reason I wanted the phone, I have my corporate account and 3 personal accounts set-up on both Treo's, but I still find toggling between accounts much easier with Versamail and the mail button then scrolling with WM. Again, the Push technology was a big influence along with 3G speeds. The 3G connectivity was a selling point because where I couldn't get a WiFi connection I wanted to be able to use the Treo 750 as my gateway to broadband (although I knew it still would be like slow DSL).

So I get what you are saying - the Microsoft UI is just plain cumbersome compared to POS. But if you give it time and spend more $$ on third-party apps you can make due with it. But if you only bought the 750 for 3G speeds I frankly think you'll be better off doing just what you said - return it and stick woth POS until a POS-3G phone ships.
    Well I am going to test out a few of the suggestions on here from yourself and others and give it a few more days. At first I was going to just get a Treo 680, but feel it's pointless. If I still am not satisfied in a week then I will just revert back to my 650 and wait until next year when the new PalmOS comes out.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by scubaduba View Post
    I can see your comments/concerns regarding the "ease of use" of the Palm OS vs. WM5. I remember similar feelings when I went from a Palm Pilot to a Dell Axim running Windows Mobile 2003. At first I thought I was never going to come to like the WM OS on the Axim. I decided to give it a shot and give myself at least a couple weeks to really use it and then make a decision. I'm glad I stuck with it. While WM is certainly not perfect I do really like the fact that it multi-tasks which is something the Palm OS cannot do. This really comes in handy. I agree with you that Pocket IE is frustrating with some functionality like Java missing but overall I really like the browsing experience that Pocket IE provides. I.E. fonts actually look like they were intended to. Try adding something like Pocket Plus and make the Pocket IE even better with multiple tabs etc. Another thing that will help you in regards to system stability would be to get a program that actually closes the open programs when you click the "X". Programs like iLauncher or Magic Button will do that (just to name a few).

Hope this helps.
    Valid point, I do like the multitasking ability of WM, it's nice being able to go to another Window and still go back to your browser or other application.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    You can do everything via either the 5-way, the left/right buttons, the windows mobile start menu and OK key.
    You're probably right, however I have not figured out how to navigate nearly as quickly.

I never touch the screen unless it is for an app that requires it. The only time I need to touch is when I choose to use SmallMenu's task closer which is currently not d-pad compliant. I can use iLaunchers task closer mapped to the press/hold of the ok key which is totally d-pad compliant. Sling Player is also not WM5 menu compliant.

The argument that WM needs any kind of screen touch is pretty much non-existent, especially on a WM Treo.\
    Well again, that is probably true, however it doesn't seem very intuitive to me.

You can run Opera Mini, you need to install a Java Midlet Manager.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1231472

Works great and has become my primary browser.
    That's good information, thank you! I will check into that...
  8.    #28  
    You can do everything via either the 5-way, the left/right buttons, the windows mobile start menu and OK key.

I never touch the screen unless it is for an app that requires it. The only time I need to touch is when I choose to use SmallMenu's task closer which is currently not d-pad compliant. I can use iLaunchers task closer mapped to the press/hold of the ok key which is totally d-pad compliant. Sling Player is also not WM5 menu compliant.

The argument that WM needs any kind of screen touch is pretty much non-existent, especially on a WM Treo.\

You can run Opera Mini, you need to install a Java Midlet Manager.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1231472

Works great and has become my primary browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Opera Mini definitely works, there is just a trick to it on WM devices.

Read here: LINK

That'll fix your browser issues for sure, especially banking.

If you are coming from POS to WM, all I can say is this: Take a deep breath and approach slowly.

POS is simple and intuitive, but you'll learn that WM is very powerful and infinitely customizable. Just learn some of the basics, read the forums here (and if I might drop ppcgeeks.com too, lol) you'll quickly appreciate the bright points of WM. It's not perfect and yes the UI is a bit kludgy, but just walk with it and you'll adjust to its quirks.

Trust me: I did the opposite: WM to POS and I found it pretty opaque until I learned the ropes/lingo/tricks.
    I hear you, I am sure if I spent more time and patience I could find other things about the WM OS that are better than the PalmOS, but I just wanted something I wouldn't have to invest and inordinate amount of time learning. If I have a few 3rd Party apps, easy browsing and a tweaked connection with all my email accounts both corporate and pop then I am satisfied for the most part.

One more major complaint with the WM OS, since I use my personal phone for a business phone my caller ID is blocked and I have *82 in front of the numbers that I need to have unblocked, in the PalmOS you can quickly edit the phone number you are texting, in WM OS it DOES NOT allow you to edit the number you are texting in the Text Messaging Client. I use about 200 - 300 text a month, so this is a major annoyance.
  9.    #29  
    KUJ - The Treo 755p is 3G on the PalmOS, but only offered to Sprint. I just think AT&T believed Palm was going to be ready with their Linux OS in late 2007 or Q1 2008 and said we will wait and focus now on the iPhone.
    A couple of thoughts:

I never wanted to give up on Palm OS and especially didn't like the idea of going from 320x320 to 240x240. However, I really felt like Palm was dropping the ball with their OS and Windows was starting to become a clear winner.

Here are the pluses for me:

IMO clear type font and the interface seem better cleaner than my 650 seemed--not sure why gut they do icons seem less cartoony

3G speed (HSDPA) is awesome and very attainable in L.A. for me now. (I think the Sprint 3G is not as fast as HSDPA speed but can't say for sure--I bet others on this forum can speak to that)

Multi-tasking was a long time coming. Nothing was worse than navigating the web or reading an email only to get a call and having to start over.

I can't remember the last time I pulled my stylus out to use it. I can do everything primarily with one hand and sometimes with two. (Don't tell the local law enforcement but I regularly pound out emails on the freeway)

I admit I am not the power user that loads up tons of apps. This is an email (GMM) device for me first and foremost--along with phone. Google mobile maps for traffic is great too. You can load about 8 apps into the start menu which is a huge help too.

I don't suggest holding out for the Linux OS if you are hoping for Palm's target date. They have an abysmal record of hitting their targets. They seem to be totally unfocused right now and this is a brand new OS that will surely be a long time in QA with whichever carriers land the exclusive for the first several months if not longer. What if your carrier never gets a Linux version then what?

I have grown to like the device and it is by and large stable for me. I have the occasional lock up but not nearly frequently enough to offset the advantages above.

I am betting you will get it figured out and appreciate the pros--not to mention most new apps that get written will work on this and who knows about POS or Linux--remember the Apple, considered by most to be superior to Windows but bad business model crushed it and the betamax too. At some point you need to give up on the dream and go with the device that is supported.

Good luck.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    You're probably right, however I have not figured out how to navigate nearly as quickly.

Well again, that is probably true, however it doesn't seem very intuitive to me.

I find the WM environment faily easy to navigate, but I also grabbed SPB Mobile Shell which is just awsome great pairing with Treo 750 and button shortcuts. Holding the OK button is mapped to the SPB Shell Task Manager which is one handed easy.

Regards
    graylion

Also Shape just released a combined IM+ 2.0 for smartphones or standard that works on the Treo 750 one handed. I just installed and it is easy no use of the stylus for me. I asked shape to trade my ppc license for the standard 2.0 version and they did, referencing that the previous version of standard did not function on the Treo 750.

Regards
    graylion
    I hear you, I am sure if I spent more time and patience I could find other things about the WM OS that are better than the PalmOS, but I just wanted something I wouldn't have to invest and inordinate amount of time learning. If I have a few 3rd Party apps, easy browsing and a tweaked connection with all my email accounts both corporate and pop then I am satisfied for the most part.

One more major complaint with the WM OS, since I use my personal phone for a business phone my caller ID is blocked and I have *82 in front of the numbers that I need to have unblocked, in the PalmOS you can quickly edit the phone number you are texting, in WM OS it DOES NOT allow you to edit the number you are texting in the Text Messaging Client. I use about 200 - 300 text a month, so this is a major annoyance.
    I think you can include the *82 in the phone number of the contact which may save you time in the long run. Not sure on this one, milage may vary.
    graylion
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post
    I think you can include the *82 in the phone number of the contact which may save you time in the long run. Not sure on this one, milage may vary.
    I have *82 in front of all my contacts that I want to see my number, which is great when I need to make a call, however when Text Messaging WM 5 grabs the phone number from contacts and does not allow you to edit the number easily before sending the Text . This is very annoying because I wind up having to type in the entire number manually instead of just back spacing out the *82. With the PalmOS, once you select the person's name from your contacts to message it pulls the number up and not the name and let's you edit instantly before sending the Text Message. Because WM does not let you edit the number before you send, the person you intended the message for never receives it .
    10-4 I understand now. Bummer.

Regards
    graylion
  16.    #36  
    10-4 I understand now. Bummer.

Regards
    Hey Graylion, I noticed your using WM6 on your Treo 750, do you find it manages battery power better than WM5? Day 2 and I using my 750 much more efficiently than the first day and I do like the multi-tasking ability, however I almost drain the battery each day so far. The Text Messaging issues are still a major problem for me....
    Last edited by bigmtnskier; 09/20/2007 at 04:30 PM.
    PDA = Powder Days Always!

Palm History: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Vx, Palm550, Treo 650p (Cingular)
    Yes I think WM6 does better with the battery. I am not in a 3G area so I have the band set for GSM only which saves when I pass through or near a 3G area. Also I have the upgraded seidio battery 1600 which fits with the standard cover.

The problem is I have push email, and 3 pop accounts every 15 minutes. I get several hundred emails per day and use about 2300minutes per month. I am ussualy down to 30% at the end of 12-14 hours. I charge every night.

I am happy with the form factor of the 750 as well as the special enhancements palm adds. WM6 really pushed it over the top with email filter and hot keys. also 3rd party software like SPB Mobile Shell and Agnda One great PIM. 19.95 media max unlimited helps with the package.

I am so looking forward to the HP IPaq 914, looks to be a powerhouse.

Also its Graylion.

Thanks
    graylion
    I have *82 in front of all my contacts that I want to see my number, which is great when I need to make a call, however when Text Messaging WM 5 grabs the phone number from contacts and does not allow you to edit the number easily before sending the Text . This is very annoying because I wind up having to type in the entire number manually instead of just back spacing out the *82. With the PalmOS, once you select the person's name from your contacts to message it pulls the number up and not the name and let's you edit instantly before sending the Text Message. Because WM does not let you edit the number before you send, the person you intended the message for never receives it .
    Ok I just check this out say here is your contact:

John Smith
    555-555-1234

Mobile Phone
    555-555-1234

Car Phone
    *83,555-555-1234

If this works it is a question of how many numbers would you have to do this with or how important is the *83. Also I seem to recal that somewhere there are gsm dial codes you could program a contact call on with the gsm dial code for call blocking on and a contact named off with the gsm dial code that turns off call blocking.

Anyway once I have a problem I am ocd with it. Must turn off my brain and the voices.

Regards
    graylion
  19. kuj
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    KUJ - The Treo 755p is 3G on the PalmOS, but only offered to Sprint. I just think AT&T believed Palm was going to be ready with their Linux OS in late 2007 or Q1 2008 and said we will wait and focus now on the iPhone.
    From http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php?topic=42079.0

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    UMTS requires the simultaneous use of voice and data. PalmOS can't handle it, therefore no PalmOS UMTS/HSDPA phone.
    EVDO (Sprint/Verizon) uses separate "connections" for voice and data which PalmOS can handle a la the 700p.
    The post right after that says it is a problem with the networking library. So, technically it can handle it, but the library needs to be reworked...in which case, it is Palm's problem and not AT&T. Not much AT&T can do if Palm has problems with the OS.
  20.    #40  
    Yes I think WM6 does better with the battery. I am not in a 3G area so I have the band set for GSM only which saves when I pass through or near a 3G area. Also I have the upgraded seidio battery 1600 which fits with the standard cover.

The problem is I have push email, and 3 pop accounts every 15 minutes. I get several hundred emails per day and use about 2300minutes per month. I am ussualy down to 30% at the end of 12-14 hours. I charge every night.

I am happy with the form factor of the 750 as well as the special enhancements palm adds. WM6 really pushed it over the top with email filter and hot keys. also 3rd party software like SPB Mobile Shell and Agnda One great PIM. 19.95 media max unlimited helps with the package.

I am so looking forward to the HP IPaq 914, looks to be a powerhouse.

Also its Graylion.

Thanks
    Thanks for your feedback, good info. Like you I have push mail, but I set my 3 pop accounts up for once an hour. BTW, I fixed your name in my last post, it was a typo, apologies.
    PDA = Powder Days Always!

Palm History: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Vx, Palm550, Treo 650p (Cingular)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast