Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    yup, confirmed...........that's for sure
    not too sure whether 3rd party apps such as the textr will work.
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    IMHO, threades SMS messages are what Palm has consistantly done better than anyone else. Not to include this in any Treo is a whopper of a mistake. Of course, with Palm, we should all be used to this by now.
    Considering being low end...I am not surprised.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Low end shouldn't matter; it,s still a Treo. Threaded SMS is the one thing they did and did well.

For all of us using T|SMS on devices - not Treo, just shows how valuable this application is.

How do you as a company stop doing something that made your line a top seller?
    Answer- You call your company Palm.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex View Post
    Low end shouldn't matter; it,s still a Treo. Threaded SMS is the one thing they did and did well.

For all of us using T|SMS on devices - not Treo, just shows how valuable this application is.

How do you as a company stop doing something that made your line a top seller?
    Answer- You call your company Palm.
    I agree. All I am saying is whenever you deal with any thing or device being labeled as low end, any thing lacking shouldn't be a surprise, even if it is important selling point and if it was offered on previous models.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I agree. All I am saying is whenever you deal with any thing or device being labeled as low end, any thing lacking shouldn't be a surprise, even if it is important selling point and if it was offered on previous models.
    Sorry, but I don't agree. They still need people to buy this thing. This is a consumer aimed device and without threaded SMS, there is no point of differentiation. The cost for Palm to have added this is probably close to 0. They still have to compete with all the other WM smartphones out there in the EU and without this, without WiFi (another huge mistaked for that market) and without anything special all they have is their name (which is probably worthless) and price (which may not be as cheap as first expected). Their target market is perfect for threaded SMS and it would be a huge selling point. I think once again, they just don't understand the marketplace. Here in the US, in the EU or probably anywhere.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev View Post
    Sorry, but I don't agree. They still need people to buy this thing. This is a consumer aimed device and without threaded SMS, there is no point of differentiation. The cost for Palm to have added this is probably close to 0. They still have to compete with all the other WM smartphones out there in the EU and without this, without WiFi (another huge mistaked for that market) and without anything special all they have is their name (which is probably worthless) and price (which may not be as cheap as first expected). Their target market is perfect for threaded SMS and it would be a huge selling point. I think once again, they just don't understand the marketplace. Here in the US, in the EU or probably anywhere.
    I am not saying its ok or exceptable...all I am saying I am not surprised, especially when dealing with Palm. Not being surprised and being passive about any short commings from Palm. I try not to get mad or personal anymore...just not surprised.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I am not saying its ok or exceptable...all I am saying I am not surprised, especially when dealing with Palm. Not being surprised and being passive about any short commings from Palm. I try not to get mad or personal anymore...just not surprised.
    OK, now I get what you are saying. You are right. When it comes to Palm, none of their bone-headed decisions surprise me anymore. I remember when the Treo 600 came out and didn't inlcude an upgrade to the screen resolution of the Treo 300 (160x160) everyone was shocked. Someone at that time said something very insightful: "Palm never fails to dissapoint." It was true then and it's still true now 5 years latter.
    Jeff
    OK, now I get what you are saying. You are right. When it comes to Palm, none of their bone-headed decisions surprise me anymore. I remember when the Treo 600 came out and didn't inlcude an upgrade to the screen resolution of the Treo 300 (160x160) everyone was shocked. Someone at that time said something very insightful: "Palm never fails to dissapoint." It was true then and it's still true now 5 years latter.
    Its actually my fault...I should have stated why I wasn't surprised in the beginning, instead of justifying it because of the device being low end which opened my post up in debate.
    at&t iPhone3G
  10. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol View Post
    yup, confirmed...........that's for sure
    not too sure whether 3rd party apps such as the textr will work.
    This is more evidence that this is a device that Palm rebranded just to get something out there. I've never used a WM Treo, but doesn't it have threaded SMS? If so, why can't Palm just install this app on the 500V.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I really can't understand Palm re: the threaded SMS app on their WM devices. They created a great one for the 750, and the native WM5/6 one is so crappy, why on earth wouldn't they put it in all their WM Treos? It's not like they need to create anything new, just put their existing app into the ROM.
    Thankfully, we can do it ourselves thanks to cody, et al.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Threaded txting is a MAJOR seller! Especially when it can be shown on a Palm and not an HTC device!

I know the 700w/wx didn't have it and the 750 did. Maybe they are just still working on it?
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I like threaded SMS on the Treo 680. I think it's a unique feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
    I like threaded SMS on the Treo 680. I think it's a unique feature.
    It was unique when the Treo 600 had it. That was a killer addition going from Treo 270 to the 600. But now everyone is praising apple for it, but they are a little tardy for the party.

I'm glad they made it for the 750 (and I was even happier that It was hacked for my old T-Mobile Wizard!) but not making it for the Treo 500v is just dropping the ball.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    They still have to compete with all the other WM smartphones out there in the EU and without this, without WiFi (another huge mistaked for that market) ...
    Wow, I must have been sleeping the past years ...
    Since when is WiFi considered a differentiator in Europe ?

Living in Europe and having travelled already quite a lot for the past years across its countries, as far as I know there are not that much free hotspots. Let be enough hotspots even disregarding if you need to pay or not. So what would be the use of having WiFi ?

No, not having 3G is a big mistake in Europe. Apple anyone ?
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    Quote Originally Posted by holvoetn View Post
    Wow, I must have been sleeping the past years ...
    Since when is WiFi considered a differentiator in Europe ?

Living in Europe and having travelled already quite a lot for the past years across its countries, as far as I know there are not that much free hotspots. Let be enough hotspots even disregarding if you need to pay or not. So what would be the use of having WiFi ?

No, not having 3G is a big mistake in Europe. Apple anyone ?
    Data is very expensive in Europe so wireless data is used very sparingly. Therefore wifi is a big time requirement to them.
    Whether or not there are hostspots, one can take advantage of wifi at home, the office, or while doing business at another office for example, an airport etc.

Apple has Wifi so it may sell.
    I doubt the threaded SMS app would just run on the 500v. Remember this is Windows Mobile Standard edition versus the Pro edition on the 750. I think it would take a great deal of effort to port it across. The two versions of the OS are quite distinct especially with regards to the two button controls on the standard edition rather than menus.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Data is very expensive in Europe so wireless data is used very sparingly. Therefore wifi is a big time requirement to them.
    Whether or not there are hostspots, one can take advantage of wifi at home, the office, or while doing business at another office for example, an airport etc.

Apple has Wifi so it may sell.
    T-Mobile offer more or less unlimited (3gb pm) data downloading for £7.50pm in the UK and one or two other carriers are following suit...sort of...O2 will be offering 200mb for around the same price. Basically, the data is expensive in Europe myth is not so relevant, thankfully, anymore.
    Never having had a phone with threaded messaging, other than IM, this lack of a feature hasn't affected me. I must admit to being happy with the built in messaging app and its the keyboard on my 500v that really makes texting a lot more convenient. It's a stand up device and I'm very happy with mine.
    Without defending Palm's decision to not include threaded text, for those who really want it, I have to highly recommend Birdsoft's "Extreme Text".

It adds

• Threaded SMS to the default mail client
    • Extremely tiny (< 300kb), won't slow down your device
    • Requires no additional files
    • Very fairly priced ($12.95)
    • Works like a charm

http://www.birdsoft.biz/extremetext.htm

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast