Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    I'm really amazing that Palm actually put this thing out. There is absolutely nothing of real interest what so ever about this device other than it's "Palm."

Sit this next to, say, the BB Curve, or the one of the new Samsung smartphones, or the Mongul and it is almost comical. This new Treo doesn't even look all that nice.

Let's recap Palm's summer:

- Treo 700P MR fiasco

- Foleo fiasco

- A new smartphone that is basically last years technology.

I keep trying to hold out hope for Palm, but they really are losing it.
    Last edited by ~Q~; 09/14/2007 at 08:59 PM.
    you're just now realizing it? joking!

poor palm....at least they have this website going for them!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I don't think it's disappointing if you've never used a WM smartphone before and want something very basic.

Remember what this aiming for (source):
    One thing in advance, Palm and Vodafone are targeting the consumer mass-market with the device and therefore it cannot compete with similar Windows Mobile Smartphones like the Samsung SGH-i600 which has a better feature-set but is also more expensive. No, Vodafone is expected to price the device fairly low and therefore, I'm sure, the Palm Treo 500v will find its customers as well
    Since rumors are that this is free with a contract on Vodaphone, it doesn't seem all that bad.

I wouldn't expect really anyone at TC to be "impressed" with this device as it is purposefully made to be a major step down.

Take the perspective a novice, who wants SMS, some email and some media, but not wanting to spend any money on a device and you might see who this device was meant for.

It's a great thing that WM devices have such a spectrum from very basic/very cheap (free?), to highly functional/quite expensive. That gives MS/WM deeper market penetration, covering a large class of people. If Palm can make a buck off of that market, good for them.

Just a couple of years ago, all smartphones (POS and WM) were hundreds of dollars, now we're talking "free" in 2007 for ones that are much better than anything offered last year.

I'd also point out that Palm successfully did update the Sprint 700wx with no issues this summer, which I appreciated.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/14/2007 at 08:41 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  4. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I
    Take the perspective a novice, who wants SMS, some email and some media, but not wanting to spend any money on a device and you might see who this device was meant for.
    Interesting perspective. Seems I've read this on the Foleo board, with slightly different wording. With the Foleo it was: What if all you need is email, web browsing, and document editing. This device was coined by many as the worst idea known to man.

Further to your thoughts: Just a few years ago, mobile computers where a few thousand dollars, while the Foleo was priced nearly free in comparison. Again, it was coined a loser.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    When what is experienced fall short of what is expected, the gap is filled with dissappointment. Q, I respect your dissatisfaction with Palm in general and the 500 specifically. However, this is Palm's new Toyota Camry model. The Centro is like their Toyota Corolla model. You're probably a Lexus man. Let's wait to see what their Lexus line turns out to be. Why bash a Camry for being a Camry or a Corolla for not comparing well to a Lexus LS. I know frustrated MotoQ users that would trade their devices in for a 500 in split second. The grass isn't always greener on the other side... And with 150mb of available memory, that's pretty good for a free/cheap unit. BTW I think the device looks nice and initial reviews suggest it feels even better in hand. This may not be the right device for you (it's certainly not for me) but it'll be good many others.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Wow what is going on with them its crazy. im thankful for this forum though :-p
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I

Since rumors are that this is free with a contract on Vodaphone, it doesn't seem all that bad.
    At least in Italy the prices are:

359 € w/o contract

199 € with prepaid sim (and two years agreement)

149 € with a traditional two year contract.

The prices are official because I was at the presentation in Milano.

(if you can understand some Italian you can read here http://www.newsmobile.it/notizia/07,09,13,9665862-1.htm the my first impressions)
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
  8. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
    At least in Italy the prices are:

359 € w/o contract

199 € with prepaid sim (and two years agreement)

149 € with a traditional two year contract.

The prices are official because I was at the presentation in Milano.

(if you can understand some Italian you can read here http://www.newsmobile.it/notizia/07,09,13,9665862-1.htm the my first impressions)
    These aren't exactly the low end prices everyone is raving about. 149 Euro is about $200 US. I believe I paid $249 for my 700P with a two year agreement on Verizon.

If I were a teenager, I'd be scrimping and saving for an Iphone instead of this thing. Worst case, I'd be going for something like the BB Pearl.

This thing is going to fall flat on its face.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    These aren't exactly the low end prices everyone was raving about. 149 Euro is about $200 US.
    You have to consider that for some "strange reason" often, in the tech world

1$=1€, if we are speaking about Apple products, the equation is always true.
    Last edited by The Solutor; 09/15/2007 at 02:00 PM.

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
  10. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
    You have to consider that for some "strange reason" often, in the tech world

1$=1, if we are speaking abotut apple products, the equation is always true.
    That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A US company using this equation and setting the price based on Euros is basically given its largest market (i.e., the US) a discount. From an US consumer standpoint, the device costs $200 if bought overseas, but only $149 if bought here at home. Why would Palm do this?

Apple using this equation makes very good sense because if they set the price here in US dollars (e.g, an Iphone costing $599 US), then they are getting more for the same device over in Europe: 599 EURO = $831US!!
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    Doesn't make a lot of sense for me too, but this is the (sad from our point of view) reality.

Just go to www.palm.com/us and www.palm.com/it ant try to buy an unlocked treo 750...

the official price is 649 $ for the US market, 649 € for the italian market.

There are obviously some discount and special offers, but this is true for the both countries.

Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Consumer appliances sold in Europea have to offer better return policy and warranty than they are in the States. Also in the States we have larger distributors (Walmart, Best Buy) that can save further operational cost. It make perfect sense to me.

And everything its more expensive in Europe than the States. Including European product like BMW.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Consumer electronic devices always cost way more in the UK then they do in the US with VAT being a large part of the difference. The Treo 750 is listed as 429.00 on Palm's UK website which equates to $860. High end phones only become affordable when you buy them with a contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    I'm really amazing that Palm actually put this thing out. There is absolutely nothing of real interest what so ever about this device other than it's "Palm."

Sit this next to, say, the BB Curve, or the one of the new Samsung smartphones, or the Mongul and it is almost comical. This new Treo doesn't even look all that nice.

Let's recap Palm's summer:

- Treo 700P MR fiasco

- Foleo fiasco

- A new smartphone that is basically last years technology.

I keep trying to hold out hope for Palm, but they really are losing it.

I think you're being a bit too harsh, Greg. The 500 brings a lot of features to the plate for a reasonable price.

The Maintenance Release problems shouldn't have happened, but were due to a legacy of buggy code and kludges that have turned PalmOS 5 into a Frankenstein OS.

The Foleo was a nice idea - it was just too expensive and didn't have enough software ready when it was announced.
    I also think that assesment is harsh. The smartphone interface is great and the 500 packs a ton of power compared to the Q, the blackjack or the dash. 256 megs of onboard memory. A2DP support. If it were available here, I would have already gotten it. And as far as the Iphone goes, it blows it away. The Iphone is pretty and the UI wonderful, but no 3G, no A2dp and a closed OS means that the novelty, IMO, would wear off quick.
    Disappointing for the geeks perhaps but this is Palm spreading its portfolio to lower end devices. It's not meant to impress the geeks but to open up this type of phone to a much wider audience. Simplicity is a virtue when you are trying to convert 12-key phone users. I have a HTC s710 and I find Windows Mobile 6 Standard ed has a lot more complexity and depth to it than you would expect once you use it for a while. For example there is a cool inbox search feature I have not seen on other OSes - you type a few letters to filter messages that use this string in the subject. Most of the time I dont miss the touchscreen - you dont need it.
    When I really think about it I mostly use the touchscreen to play games. But that is reason enough to have to have it. After all, how am I supposed to play Billiards with no touchscreen?
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    When what is experienced fall short of what is expected, the gap is filled with dissappointment. Q, I respect your dissatisfaction with Palm in general and the 500 specifically. However, this is Palm's new Toyota Camry model. The Centro is like their Toyota Corolla model. You're probably a Lexus man. Let's wait to see what their Lexus line turns out to be. Why bash a Camry for being a Camry or a Corolla for not comparing well to a Lexus LS. I know frustrated MotoQ users that would trade their devices in for a 500 in split second. The grass isn't always greener on the other side... And with 150mb of available memory, that's pretty good for a free/cheap unit. BTW I think the device looks nice and initial reviews suggest it feels even better in hand. This may not be the right device for you (it's certainly not for me) but it'll be good many others.
    Here is the other side of your analogy.

When Treo was introduced it WAS the Lexus. Year after year Palm kept producing that Lexus. They made some minor adjustments to the body and traded out the cassette deck for a cd player. Then Palm stopped paying attention to how well their Lexus ran. New models were coming out of the factory with defective engines, and there minimal design adjustments made the product look dated. Lexus owners started looking at BMW owners enviously for the innovation in body style and function. The once proud, innovative and stylish Lexus BECAME the Camry. If Palm isn't careful, they'll soon be producing the Corrolla.
    Perfect analogy, fwinst. I agree.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Here is the other side of your analogy.

When Treo was introduced it WAS the Lexus. Year after year Palm kept producing that Lexus. They made some minor adjustments to the body and traded out the cassette deck for a cd player. Then Palm stopped paying attention to how well their Lexus ran. New models were coming out of the factory with defective engines, and there minimal design adjustments made the product look dated. Lexus owners started looking at BMW owners enviously for the innovation in body style and function. The once proud, innovative and stylish Lexus BECAME the Camry. If Palm isn't careful, they'll soon be producing the Corrolla.
    Fwinst, nice job in reference to the past. More recently, however, Palm just released their new generation Camry(500v.) Promtional pics of their new generation Corrolla(Centro) have also been seen. As it turns out, the new generation midrange and low-end units are competitively or even better equipped than their older generation high-end model(750,755p). So, what do you think we might see with their new generation Lexus? The Linux model is still just a concept. So what are they going to put on the street next?
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 09/24/2007 at 11:30 PM. Reason: I added the Palm model names/numbers for clarity.
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast