Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Come On, How Does Palm Expect To Be Competitive? Have They Not Heard Any Of Our Wants?? We Need Wi-fi!!
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Yes we do--after playing with an iPhone with wifi, I realize how much we've been missing! Wifi is faster and smoother than any of the phone company high-speed options.
    wifi is nice but not killer with 3g.

Fact is, Wifi is useless in the car, on the train, walking around...just about everywhere besides home, a coffee shop or a hotel.

I'd rather have 3g and no wifi, than wifi and no 3g. Having both is nice but I rarely used it on my 6700.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    You live in the US with nice data rates.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Bear in mind this is a low-cost/free device aimed at consumers. Other issues aside, I suspect that 3G (along with HSDPA) was omitted to meet a price point. And yes, with the right tariff, even UMTS pretty much removes the need for Wi-Fi.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You live in the US with nice data rates.
    Thanks for reminding me

Have you been to Europe lately? When I was there a couple of months ago I had a Wifi card for my 700wx.

90% of the time it was useless since just about everyone locks down their network. So I could pay $10 per Wifi spot everyday, which would quickly make me broke, especially if I'm on the move, which I was. Even the airports & hotels charged.

So how is Wifi necessarily a better system? You act like it's some free alternative to 3g.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Thanks for reminding me

Have you been to Europe lately? When I was there a couple of months ago I had a Wifi card for my 700wx.

90% of the time it was useless since just about everyone locks down their network. So I could pay $10 per Wifi spot everyday, which would quickly make me broke, especially if I'm on the move, which I was. Even the airports & hotels charged.

So how is Wifi necessarily a better system? You act like it's some free alternative to 3g.
    This is completely true. My Touch has WIFI, but its useless except at home.

Mal, did you know this neat trick. If you go to PIE, and type in the address bar file://computername/ you can browse your shared network files. No additional software needed. This of course only works when connected internally to the network, usually via WIFI.

Surur
    WiFi is moot. Soon, U.S. cities will have WiMax. So you will always be connected to a network (no logging in etc). Sprint is rolling it out, Intel's making the chips. Perhaps, Palm should leapfrog WiFi for WiMax?
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    This is completely true. My Touch has WIFI, but its useless except at home.

Mal, did you know this neat trick. If you go to PIE, and type in the address bar file://computername/ you can browse your shared network files. No additional software needed. This of course only works when connected internally to the network, usually via WIFI.

Surur
    huh, neat trick. I didn't know that. That's sort of eerie for open networks....

wifi is nice but not killer with 3g.

Fact is, Wifi is useless in the car, on the train, walking around...just about everywhere besides home, a coffee shop or a hotel.

I'd rather have 3g and no wifi, than wifi and no 3g. Having both is nice but I rarely used it on my 6700.
    interesting statement given the hundreds of posts around this place crying for wi-fi on any new device (iphone, ahem) that comes to market.

i thought everyone around here had to have wi-fi?
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    If the iphone had 3G, i'm sure the cries for wifi wouldn't be there as much. That phone is awesome on wifi..i will say that. I only used it at home though. Still, with the desktops and laptops i have at home, the iphone (or similar) is more used on the road.

The most secure connection you have is through the carrier. Even with the laptop, i'd rather use a data card then hop on a public wifi system (unless its my own). That's nuts..
    Wifi - let's see, my hotels that I stay at for business charge $10-15 a day, the airports charge $8-15 a day usually, coffee shops charge it...of course I can expense these charges, but for someone that has to pay it themselves, why would they want to?

At work I'm on my laptop, at home I have multiple computers so what's the point in using my phone for internet? 3G is everywhere that I don't have wifi essentially, which is a lot of places.

With that said, it is nice when powerhouse devices like the iPaq 910 or HTC Kaiser are released with basically every wireless option. Even though I rarely ever use wifi on my phone, there are very rare circumstances when it comes in handy.
    I think Palm should put in wifi in their phones just for the free publicity it would generate. It would by like the second coming, and old treo users would upgrade just because the phones has the wifi they have been waiting 3 years for.

Palm is stupid.

Surur
    I thought for sure wifi would be here already HMMM.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlopa View Post
    Bear in mind this is a low-cost/free device aimed at consumers. Other issues aside, I suspect that 3G (along with HSDPA) was omitted to meet a price point.
    Hang on - it does have 3G
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Oops, my bad - I meant "Wi-Fi (along with HSDPA)" -- it only has UMTS.
    Palm is stupid.
    ^ what he said
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I think Palm should put in wifi in their phones just for the free publicity it would generate. It would by like the second coming, and old treo users would upgrade just because the phones has the wifi they have been waiting 3 years for.

Palm is stupid.

Surur
    c'mon surur,

Old Treo users would upgrade? Right, WM pro users want nothing more than to trade in their devices for a non-touchscreen, dumbed-down version of WM.

And POS users have not switched to the "darkside" because they really wanted a non-touchscreen WM device, something never offered before.

And it would be real smart for Palm to offer a feature on their low-end device not currently offered on their high-end.

Who would be doing these upgrades? Does anyone state-side want a Euro GSM phone without carrier subsidies anyways?

If not for this one they should for the next, ignoring any actual utility, just for the PRPRPR $value$.

Surur
  19. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    c'mon surur,

Old Treo users would upgrade? Right, WM pro users want nothing more than to trade in their devices for a non-touchscreen, dumbed-down version of WM.
    I agree with surur. If they threw wifi in this thing, they'd likely get customers just because it is the only treo with wifi. People do strange things for the latest gadget.

Look at all of the people who jumped on the iphone bandwagon... Many of these people dumped infinately faster and more reliable networks for the really bad ATT network for a little gadget candy.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
  20. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    huh, neat trick. I didn't know that. That's sort of eerie for open networks....
    This is a feature common to all windows clients since XP. However, access to this share follows standard ACLs.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast