Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I understand what you're saying but what I'M saying is I don't completely think it's the carriers; but Palm's own refusal, reluctance, inability or whatever.

What does "we'll put wifi on at the right time"(remember that from the 750 interview?) mean?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

What does "we'll put wifi on at the right time"(remember that from the 750 interview?) mean?
    It's the same argument Apples gives about 3g: they are not happy with battery life, nor do they think it's that important for a successful device.

Good arguments? Probably not. But if you want a device with Wifi, just buy one and not from Palm.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    But if you want a device with Wifi, just buy one and not from Palm.
    People here are very keen on trying to fit a square peg into a round hole
    Motorola: have you seen any Wifi'd Q's lately? (Little fact: The original Moto actually cannot run Wifi at all, not even via it's mini-SDIO port as it is too underpowered. Brilliant!)
    Even if the Q delivered enough power through its SDIO port to run WiFi, it's standard battery would get sucked dry by WiFi in mere moments. That's one of the things that doesn't get enough discussion/appreciation for WiFi advocates - WiFi was never intended for mobile devices as it is a drain on pda/cell batteries. Hell, its a wicked drain on my laptop battery. I had WiFi on my Palm OS Sony Clie a couple years ago - I'd use WiFi to surf in staff meetings and drain my battery to empty in fifteen minutes. Apparently they made great strides with the Dash by toggling the WiFi connection on and off intermittently as soon as it wasn't being actively used - but when you are using it, it is sucking the life out of a battery faster than a fat kid with two straws and a pint of chocolate milk.
  5. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I understand what you're saying but what I'M saying is I don't completely think it's the carriers; but Palm's own refusal, reluctance, inability or whatever.

There is no doubt that the primary reason why Treos don't have wifi is because of the carriers. They want us using their data connection, not something else. It is unlikely this is going to change anytime soon.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Three possible reasons of not having wi-fi:

1. Carrier;

2. Increase the cost of hardware;

3. shorten the battery life.

Personally, I don't use wi-fi even I own a PPC with wi-fi because not everywhere has free access point. I use the GPRS connection to sync my email from exchange server. (I tested between GRPS and UMTS and found that the speed is not much different.) I only switch to 3G connection when I want to download a big file. The 3G sucks a lot of power.

BUT I think Palm should come out a model with wi-fi and without wi-fi. Anyone wants wi-fi will pay more and user not using wi-fi will pay less.

One of the big problem of Palm, since the era of Palm Pilot professional, is Palm only give whatever they think is good or right. They don't give the customer choices. Example, a lot of people perfer to carry a slim device and a spare battery but Palm keeps saying not enough power for the device to last one whole day. They should learn from HTC. HTC introduces a lot of similar devices with different configuration.
    Last edited by GFONG; 09/21/2007 at 06:23 AM.
    Why does Sprint only have 1 wifi phone? Verizon doesn't have many either (at least the i760 will).
    Sure Palm should party be held responsible, but the carriers are there to order you a product that you would want to buy, so they too should be held responsible. They order them, not you or I.
    Yeah, I like Wifi in my phones (have a Dash, had an 8125). But it does suck battery.

Its plenty clear that when it comes to Wifi, its a symptom of all that's wrong with the current carriers/market in the US: the carriers have too much control over what phones get offered, and it is nothing close to a free market. The fewest Wifi phones are with the CDMA carriers, the ones with the tightest handset control (can't even interoperate/inter-activate between CDMA carriers). Only Tmo has an interest in Wifi-capable handsets, for obvious reasons, hence so many Wifi Tmo handsets.

Ultimately everyone's the loser in the CDMA world: CDMA customers have so limited options compared with GSM, and I believe eventually the US CDMA carriers are shooting themselves in the foot for being so closed, while GSM is so open. Maybe the FCC will have the strength to mandate true interoperability between the CDMA carriers (handsets and networks). And Sprint has to be careful not to adopt a too closed model for its future 4G network. Being isolated, closed and alone has its disadvantages -- it is mirrored in the semiconductor markets, where its also a double-edged sword to have unique products, because OEMs really want to have a second source -- as a buyer, you never want to be beholdened to a single supplier.
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Ultimately everyone's the loser in the CDMA world: CDMA customers have so limited options compared with GSM, and I believe eventually the US CDMA carriers are shooting themselves in the foot for being so closed...
    Yet, but we've had 3g now for 2 years already and get unlimited data for as much as $15 a month (as little as nothing e.g. Sprint sero plans) and as you mention, we're heading into 4g next year.

(also, Wimax will be completely open...not closed.)

For me, having a smartphone with 3g is just a necessity.

But yeah, CDMA has the whole limitations on handsets available. Definitely trade-offs, but I'll take "3g no wifi" over the opposite.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    (also, Wimax will be completely open...not closed.)

But yeah, CDMA has the whole limitations on handsets available. Definitely trade-offs, but I'll take "3g no wifi" over the opposite.
    sure, agreed, 3G over Wifi, if one has to make the choice...

I'm glad to hear that Sprint *talks* about an open market strategy for its WiMax network... we'll see... but even so there are issues of spectrum/frequency and whether any of the other carriers will adopt WiMax or whether Sprint will end up being alone, either through its own closed/proprietary actions or because the other carriers will make non-interoperable choices. The comparison with Wifi only goes so far, as the barrier for deployment is so much lower for WiFi than a nationwide or even regional WiMax network.

If Sprint has "saw the light" wrt the value of an open market for WiMax, one wonders why the same thought shouldn't alter there CDMA/cellular business models. It would be *so* much better for the consumers, and I truly doubt it would hurt the carriers -- my guess is that it would help them as well -- if the CDMA US carriers would reverse their closed strategies and interoperate at both the handset and network level. The GSM carriers benefit from the market synergies of the GSM world and that translates to a competitive advantage that they have over the CDMA carriers.

Anyways, I hope that Sprint can follow through on its open WiMax strategies. I don't see any evidence that Verizon is similarly open in its thinking, particularly after sueing for a closed 700Mhz policy.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123