Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I admit to being guilty of getting an iPhone for the gadget candy. I kept my Treo 680 though. I really like the iPhone and having the WiFi is nice. Of course I do only use the WiFi at home. And if Treos had WiFi, I would only use it at home also. But I do think that many people want to have WiFi on their Treos, just to have that choice. I've used the WiFi on my Palm TX quite a bit. It still seems crazy to me that Palm put WiFi on the Tungsten TC, the LifeDrive, and the TX, yet they've never put it on any Treo. We did hear awhile back that Palm actually had a "Treo WiFi team" so maybe WiFi will still appear.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    We did hear awhile back that Palm actually had a "Treo WiFi team" so maybe WiFi will still appear.
    Until they fired all of them .. Maybe its connected.

Surur
    Could be Surur. I was shocked to even learn that there "was" ever such a team in the first place.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I hope Micro-SD SDIO wifi-cards work. A smartphone without wifi in Europe sucks. 3G is still very expensive and there are still a lot of free wifi-spots.
    Last edited by Jozz; 09/16/2007 at 05:53 PM. Reason: added url
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Thanks for reminding me

Have you been to Europe lately? When I was there a couple of months ago I had a Wifi card for my 700wx.

90% of the time it was useless since just about everyone locks down their network. So I could pay $10 per Wifi spot everyday, which would quickly make me broke, especially if I'm on the move, which I was. Even the airports & hotels charged.

So how is Wifi necessarily a better system? You act like it's some free alternative to 3g.
    That's it, it's an ALTERNATIVE. If one isn't available, the other should be.

You would have gotten smacked with charges for 3G usage too, anyway. They aren't giving that away for free either, I understand.

BTW, why DIDN'T you use an unlocked GSM phone with 3G?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It's a trademark for Palm phone by now. It's like watching an Arnord movie without him saying "I wull be bakh."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    That's it, it's an ALTERNATIVE. If one isn't available, the other should be.

You would have gotten smacked with charges for 3G usage too, anyway. They aren't giving that away for free either, I understand.

BTW, why DIDN'T you use an unlocked GSM phone with 3G?
    (1) 3g is expensive, but at least you pay for only what you use. Dropping $10 every time you just want to check your email is pretty crazy, which was all I needed it for.

(2) I'm on Sprint, so CDMA is my main device. My trips don't warrant me investing into an unlocked GSM device. Maybe down the road. Which leads me to...

(3) Alternatives: At least on my 700wx, Wifi is an alternative, at least after I picked up a SDIO Wifi card. I can't add 3g to any device, but at least on some, adding Wifi is quite easy and not that expensive.

Though I concede this point: the 500v is basically impossible to add Wifi to with the micro-SD slot under the battery. (I've also never heard of a Wifi addon via BT...though I don't think there is any reason why it can't be invented?)

In the end, I'm not saying not having Wifi was a great idea, but this is how I look at it:

Vodafone wanted a Palm smartphone, low cost and less than the BJ. Had they wanted Wifi or thought it was necessary for sales they would have (a) requested it from Palm (b) canceled the phone if Palm said they couldn't do it (seeing as the phone is built by Asus, I find that difficult to believe).

So while you and I and others here may want Wifi, ultimately this is Vodafone's device to sell and push. Palm merely filled the order as requested and if Vodafone was let down by those specs, they should have canceled it. Obviously, they feel it will sell, so I feel less inclined to criticize it as a business move.

I think that's the important point here: people need to separate their wants from just a pure business decision. They don't and should not always match up.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I remember reading some place that palm decided not to put wifi on the sprint treos because sprint didn't want people to have that choice. They wanted to make sure that anyone who wanted high speed access would have to buy their vision packages. And palms response to that was that "why would we put a third radio signal in the treo?" refering to the already in place 3g plus bluetooth...
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    I remember reading some place that palm decided not to put wifi on the sprint treos because sprint didn't want people to have that choice. They wanted to make sure that anyone who wanted high speed access would have to buy their vision packages. And palms response to that was that "why would we put a third radio signal in the treo?" refering to the already in place 3g plus bluetooth...
    At the moment, that seems to be the case: carriers decide if Wifi or no Wifi. On Sprint, only the 6700/6800 have it and that is on purpose.

Although the "leaked" Sprint data sheet for the Treo 800w lists Wifi on there, so either Sprint is backing away from this and being more lenient or Palm really pleaded with them that they need this (lol). The 3rd option of of course is that sheet is not accurate or no longer.

I sure hope that sheet isn't up to date because builtin GPS is a much better option than WiFi imo. When I was using my BB8830 I found the GPS to be pretty darn useful especially to quickly look something up. But if the Kaiser has both, there's atleast some hope that we might get an 800w with WiFi & GPS, especially if Palm wants to successfully compete against it's competitors (depending on if Sprint allows it of course).
    Last edited by untouchablez; 09/18/2007 at 11:19 PM.
    It's funny how Nokia always gets away with putting both 3G and wifi on many of their smartphones, but for some reason Palm is always "prohibited".
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
    I hope Micro-SD SDIO wifi-cards work. A smartphone without wifi in Europe sucks. 3G is still very expensive and there are still a lot of free wifi-spots.
    Malatesta said the opposite.

I thought this was the case with European data also, but I'm confused now.

13. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    At the moment, that seems to be the case: carriers decide if Wifi or no Wifi. On Sprint, only the 6700/6800 have it and that is on purpose.
    This is very unfortunate, but it is obvious that the carriers are keeping this from us because they know that the only other alternative is to connect via their network. From a profit standpoint, I guess I can see it. It just seem very unjust.
    Last edited by ~Q~; 09/19/2007 at 02:00 AM.
    Criterion 300>CMT>Huskey Hunter>Handspring Visor>Juniper Allegro>Palm Tungsten>TDS Recon>Treo 650>Treo 700P>Treo 755P>Blackberry Pearl

The Truth About MonaVie:
    http://monavieoregon.wordpress.com/
    Thing is, my reasons for wanting wifi (and I hope I'm not the only one) have nothing to do with internet access at all! I just want access to my home LAN for file transfer, hotsync, media streaming, etc. Granted you can do some of that with bluetooth, but it's much more limited in range and speed.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Sweet Trick, Surur.

I put in my 2c on the WMExperts front page:

In a thread in our forums where folks are discussing the fact that the Treo 500v doesn't have WiFi (more on that below), Windows Mobile superuser surur points something out that I didn't know:

Mal, did you know this neat trick. If you go to PIE, and type in the address bar file://computername/ you can browse your shared network files. No additional software needed. This of course only works when connected internally to the network, usually via WIFI.
    That *is* a neat trick. As surur says, it will only work on Wifi-enabled Windows Mobile devices that are on a network with Windows-shared files. As Malatesta (the referenced "Mal") points out, it's a little eerie for open networks. If nothing else, consider it yet another reason to make sure your WiFi network is secured and that you know what you are and are not sharing on your computers.

Anyhow, the whole thread is a great discussion on whether or not WiFi is a necessary component on modern Windows Mobile devices. My own personal feeling is that:

1. Yes it is,
    2. Hell will freeze over when Palm puts WiFi in a Treo, and
    3. It's actually surprising that the Treo 500v lacks WiFi, because it looks like it was pretty much "built to spec" for a Windows Mobile 6 Standard-Edition device. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of Palm-specific "special sauce" in there, so it's difficult to believe that it would have been hard to include it. It must have just been a cost/battery life decision.
    It's funny how Nokia always gets away with putting both 3G and wifi on many of their smartphones, but for some reason Palm is always "prohibited".
    Nokia? I'm on CDMA, never heard of them. Are they any good? / I guess while they were busy mastering wifi in their devices they forgot how to make good CDMA ones.

This is actually pretty standard and is not a "Palm prohibition". It effects everyone...

Like HTC:

The HTC Touch has Wifi and no 3g. The HTC Vogue (CDMA Touch) has got a processor bump and 3g (I'd argue one entails the other) but now doesn't have Wifi. Why would HTC purposefully dumb down their device? Or rather was it just decided to do it that way?

Or RIM:

New Curves and Pearls get GPS or Wifi, not both. GSM gets the Wifi version, CDMA gets GPS

Motorola: have you seen any Wifi'd Q's lately? (Little fact: The original Moto actually cannot run Wifi at all, not even via it's mini-SDIO port as it is too underpowered. Brilliant!)

Also, no Sprint or Verizon WM devices have GPSOne enabled/usable, so even TeleNav is out the door.

Granted, in Europe this may all be very different. But here in the states, had carriers really wanted devices with Wifi on them, they surely would have had them made by someone. So either everyone is prohibited or the carriers just don't care enough to push the subject when they order devices. Take your pick.

The HTC Kaiser/Tilt will be the nice exception to this, thankfully. I also think carriers may start loosening up on this in order to get more "killer" devices.

What humors me is that people don't get the obvious and blatant overtones of sarcasm dripping from Mal and Sur in this thread.

I appreciate the laughs gentlemen.
    But yet, HTC has other wifi and 3G phones, and has sold them to carriers. Palm has absolutely NONE. Not even ONE.

I used the dash for a couple of days once, and the wifi feature was very underwhelming and slow.

Will the take 3G over wifi any day.
    But yet, HTC has other wifi and 3G phones, and has sold them to carriers. Palm has absolutely NONE. Not even ONE.
    This ignores the part about the Sprint Touch/Vogue no longer having Wifi.

Why does Sprint only have 1 wifi phone? Verizon doesn't have many either (at least the i760 will).

Palm doesn't have many phones to begin with: 2 for WM, 3 for POS--all variants.

Motorola WM devices have no wifi either, even their European GSM variants.

All I'm saying, which you seem to be brushing aside, is this:

Carriers have a responsibility too. If they want devices with Wifi, then they will order them to be made.

It is obvious that Vodafone either (1) doesn't care about Wifi on the Treo 500 or (2) they didn't want it on there. Which do you prefer? Or do you really think Vodafone told Palm: "eh, give us whatever you can make and we'll sell it. Specs and features don't matter."?

Is it any wonder that carriers may want you to use their network over potentially "free" wifi spots? Is this really a mystery? Sure Palm should party be held responsible, but the carriers are there to order you a product that you would want to buy, so they too should be held responsible. They order them, not you or I.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/19/2007 at 07:15 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast