Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I have read through all the "SMS threading" threads, all of the "MMS hack" threads, everything that has to do with hacking our 700wx's to allow for the old school methods of SMS and MMS, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get an "MMS hack" for my Verizon 700wx?

Supposedly Verizon 700wx's have Arcsoft's Picture Mail software, but I don't think my treo has that?

I installed the SMS threading hack and it works beautifully, and I know that MMS won't work within the threaded SMS program (Palm Messaging), but what are you VERIZON users using for MMS without going through email? Is there a secret that Sprint users know that will work for Verizon?

I'm going absolutely insane about this, and I apologize for creating a new thread on an overbeaten subject.

P.S. FEAR MY POST COUNT!!!!
    not sure what exactly you are trying to do. the vz 700wx does mms through mms. its right there on the phone.
  3.    #3  
    Well I'd like to be able to use MMS without having to access email or use any data (I don't have a data plan.) Now that I've put the SMS threading app on the phone, any pictures people send to me go through the SMS threading app and I can't seem to open the pictures because I get the dreaded "not enough memory to perform operation" message.

Also, when I try to access the MMS message through the "MMS" feature on the phone (which, btw, switches between MMS and Outlook now that SMS is it's own app), I automatically begin to access some online service that begins to dial #777 and that translates into KB transfer = data usage. I want to be able to get my MMS pictures like I did on my 700p or any other Verizon phone for that matter! I just hope no one tells me this cannot be done, or else I'll probably cry.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'll look into it unless someone can spare me of my ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanity_x View Post
    Well I'd like to be able to use MMS without having to access email or use any data (I don't have a data plan.) Now that I've put the SMS threading app on the phone, any pictures people send to me go through the SMS threading app and I can't seem to open the pictures because I get the dreaded "not enough memory to perform operation" message.

Also, when I try to access the MMS message through the "MMS" feature on the phone (which, btw, switches between MMS and Outlook now that SMS is it's own app), I automatically begin to access some online service that begins to dial #777 and that translates into KB transfer = data usage. I want to be able to get my MMS pictures like I did on my 700p or any other Verizon phone for that matter! I just hope no one tells me this cannot be done, or else I'll probably cry.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'll look into it unless someone can spare me of my ignorance.
    I dont know if Im answering your question, but the MMS should not use data. As you correctly pointed out, many non pda phones do mms. Maybe your mms is not turned on? There is a monthly fee for mms. Im sorry, I have VZW and unlike Sprint, no hack has been needed for this.
  5.    #5  
    Well I have a txt/pix/flix plan, which is why I'm upset that I can't access my MMS messages. I don't understand why it has to "download" the picture and dial up some network access... I didn't have this problem on my 700p. I know that the specs show that MMS isn't supported on the 700wx which is why i was looking for some sort of "hack". Oh well, I ran into a dead end I guess.
    Well I have a txt/pix/flix plan, which is why I'm upset that I can't access my MMS messages. I don't understand why it has to "download" the picture and dial up some network access... I didn't have this problem on my 700p. I know that the specs show that MMS isn't supported on the 700wx which is why i was looking for some sort of "hack". Oh well, I ran into a dead end I guess.
    I have the same phone and Im telling you for sure MMS works. I even have the SMS patch installed as well. For whatever reason, I will sometimes get the "picture needs to be downloaded message", so I have to select for it to be downloaded. but I know that isnt a data charge to do that. I would definatly call VZW tech support.
  7.    #7  
    Ahh gotcha. When it says "picture needs to be downloaded" does it show you the little popup that says connecting to #777? I get that little pop-up window and I assume that is a data connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    I dont know if Im answering your question, but the MMS should not use data.
    Although it does "just work", from the menu, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$ $does$ $use$ $a$ $data$ $connection$. $Folks$ $that$ $have$ $had$ $a$ $data$-$block$ $put$ $on$ $their$ $phone$ $to$ $prevent$ $data$ $use$ $complain$ $of$ $not$ $being$ $able$ $to$ $send$/$receive$ $MMS$. ($with$ $VZW$)

-Frank
    It is in fact a data connection, it is just billed differently than conventional data. It is routed differently hence the pix/flix portion of your plan. Double check with a CSR but I'm sure it is so, I have a 700wx with verizon. BTW, sending MMS without having to use email is considered a desirable feature by the community at large, imho. Also, you know you can make that info text box disappear, yeah?
    A "regular" VZW phone uses VZW's web-based mail system to send/receive picture messages. A 700wx (or any other smartphone) cannot use this service. It uses MMS directly, instead. No email involved. But it is a data connection.

Just as smartphones on VZW also cannot use:

VCAST
    VZNavigator
    Mobile Web
    Pix Place VZW website (this is the email based pix/flix)
    Backup Assistant
    VZW TV watching service (whatever they call it)
    And other typical cell-phone services...

The 700wx is not a "cell-phone", in the strict sense. It is a computer with a cell-phone application on it.

-Frank
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stozmon View Post
    It is in fact a data connection, it is just billed differently than conventional data. It is routed differently hence the pix/flix portion of your plan. Double check with a CSR but I'm sure it is so, I have a 700wx with verizon. BTW, sending MMS without having to use email is considered a desirable feature by the community at large, imho. Also, you know you can make that info text box disappear, yeah?
    Yes, sending MMS without email is definitely desirable. And no, I didn't know you could make that info text box disappear! I'll have to search for that "fix." Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post
    A "regular" VZW phone uses VZW's web-based mail system to send/receive picture messages. A 700wx (or any other smartphone) cannot use this service. It uses MMS directly, instead. No email involved. But it is a data connection.

Just as smartphones on VZW also cannot use:

VCAST
    VZNavigator
    Mobile Web
    Pix Place VZW website (this is the email based pix/flix)
    Backup Assistant
    VZW TV watching service (whatever they call it)
    And other typical cell-phone services...

The 700wx is not a "cell-phone", in the strict sense. It is a computer with a cell-phone application on it.

-Frank
    Exactly. I knew right off the bat that this was not a typical "cell-phone" and that's exactly why I love it. I do plan to get an unlimited data plan when I have a real reason to do so (professional career that requires me to have immediate access to email and the like) but for now, I love being able to sync contact information, schedule appointments, etc. I know that I am limiting myself without a data plan, but I think that an SD wifi card will suffice for the time being.

I fully understand what you are implying by the statement that this is in fact a "data connection" and I agree completely. The point you are trying to differentiate is how this "data connection" is apportioned to the pix/txt portion of a plan as opposed to the charge-by-kb portion of a data plan. Theoretically speaking, if I have a txt/pix plan then MMS messages and the kb download pertaining to them will be charged to the txt/pix plan and not to the charge-by-kb data plan, correct?

I'll be calling Verizon today about this so that I get a definitive answer, but I really do appreciate all of the comments in this thread!
    Theoretically speaking, if I have a txt/pix plan then MMS messages and the kb download pertaining to them will be charged to the txt/pix plan and not to the charge-by-kb data plan, correct?

I'll be calling Verizon today about this so that I get a definitive answer, but I really do appreciate all of the comments in this thread!
    I think your theory only applies to cell-phones and not PDAs. With PDAs, I believe you will be billed for both. Meaning: It will deduct from whatever text plan you have and will also deduct KB from whatever data plan you have. Obviously, if you have any one, or both, of those unlimited, that's good. But still, I believe it will be applied to both, not just one.

If you do not have a data plan (i.e. have told them to "block all data") you won't be able to send picture messages on your PDA through VZW's network (this discounts any WiFi capability, using email, obviously).

Let us know what they say when you call...

-Frank
  13.    #13  
    Verizon Wireless told me that I can receive MMS and download them and this will be attributed to my messaging package, but if I access email to send MMS then I might be charged data access. I didn't like the fact that they didn't know, so I guess I will try it out and see if I get charged for sending MMS.

What's interesting is the wording of my message plan:

Unlimited IN Messaging, plus 500 additional messages
    Text and Picture Messages are now IN! For only $10 Monthly Access, you can get Unlimited Text and Picture Messages to any other Verizon Wireless customer from within the National Enhanced Services Rate & Coverage Area. PLUS get 500 Additional messages.*

*Applies when sending and receiving instant messages, TXT Alerts, emails, and Text and Picture Messages to non-Verizon Wireless customers.

IMPORTANT CUSTOMER INFORMATION: Subject to Customer Agreement, Calling Plan and Get It Now® Agreements. May require subscription to new Calling Plan. Ability to send and receive TXT, PIX&FLIX Messages varies by phone model; check your phone’s user guide for information on supported services. Stand-alone TXT and PIX&FLIX packages available. Cannot be combined with any other package that includes a TXT or PIX&FLIX allowance. Unlimited IN Messaging applies only to TXT, PIX&FLIX messages sent/received within the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area from a Verizon Wireless customer's phone to another Verizon Wireless customer's phone and addressed to the recipient's 10-digit phone number. Monthly allowance and overage rates of 10˘ per message sent and received apply to all other TXT, PIX&FLIX messages sent/received, except international TXT messages, which cost 25˘ per message sent and 15˘ per message received. Airtime applies when sending, receiving and uploading PIX&FLIX Messages to Pix PlaceSM.
    I don't know, but I'll have to try it out to get an answer for everyone!
    I didn't like the fact that they didn't know, so I guess I will try it out and see if I get charged for sending MMS.
    Just for the record, this is how people get "burned" with the pay per KB plan. And why so many people suggest getting the unlimited.

-Frank
    I have been reviewing my past bills and can confirm that in fact I have been charged exclusively to the text/flix portion (25˘ ea) not by the KB.
    To remove the popup, start>settings>sounds & notifications>notifications tab>event drop down menu>connection established>uncheck the display notification box.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Stozmon; 09/15/2007 at 07:56 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Yeah I'd love to get the unlimited data plan, but I can't justify the $45.00 a month as I'm only a college student and this would be more convenience than necessity. I'll stick to the Spectec microSD wifi card (if it ever comes out.)

This leads perfectly into my other question: if I have a wifi card in my treo, will I still be able to have email forwarded to my phone via Outlook or some kind of push service? Is wifi pretty much like having a data plan with regards to what I can access? I know the obvious advantage of the EV-DO connection is that I will have access irregardless of where I am as opposed to needing to be in on a wireless network, but if I do have the wifi card will I pretty much have the same access to services?
    From an accessability standpoint, you will be able to get e-mails pushed by a varitey of means, even natively through pocket outlook. Do a search and you'll get plenty of info.
    Good luck on the wait for that Spectec, it might be a while.
    Hopefully in college you will at some point come accross the fact that irregardless in not a word but mearly a marriage of two words: irrespective and regardless, fyi.
    I have Verizon with no data plan and unlimited txt and mms.
    I do get a min. data charge every month because of the mms. If I block data, mms will not work. I use a program on the palm os called battery dr. that disconnects any data connection when I hit end button. Verizon calls the treo a business phone so the unlimited messaging does not apply
  19.    #19  
    Thanks. I'll be searching for information in regards to push e-mail and outlook. I don't like to be spoon-fed information, but everyone likes to be babied once in a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Stozmon View Post
    From an accessability standpoint, you will be able to get e-mails pushed by a varitey of means, even natively through pocket outlook. Do a search and you'll get plenty of info.
    Good luck on the wait for that Spectec, it might be a while.
    Hopefully in college you will at some point come accross the fact that irregardless in not a word but mearly a marriage of two words: irrespective and regardless, fyi.
    Whoops! Regardless is the word I am looking for. You learn to say it wrong when you're young and it sticks forever. Pathetic, I know.

And since we're at it:

accessability should be accessibility
    mearly should be merely

I won't go into your other simple misspellings and failure to use important operators. Of course, this is all in good fun.
    Last edited by urbanity_x; 09/15/2007 at 08:47 PM.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I have Verizon with no data plan and unlimited txt and mms.
    I do get a min. data charge every month because of the mms. If I block data, mms will not work. I use a program on the palm os called battery dr. that disconnects any data connection when I hit end button. Verizon calls the treo a business phone so the unlimited messaging does not apply
    Thank you for that. I have the unlimited IN messaging service which I use fully since I send more than 1000 SMS a month to Verizon users and another 200 or so a month to non-Verizon users. I wish my messaging plan would work for my Treo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast