1.    #1  
    Follow this guide to use your 700wx as a USB Modem on Feisty
    After much frustration I was finally able to use my 700wx as a USB Modem, I used pieces of three different howtos.HERE HERE and HERE(Sprint PDF)
    (this part of the howto is provided by CRCarl (Ubuntu Forum)

I'll just give you what I did to get it going, after all, that's what a howto is for!

On your 700wx, start the Mode Link program and plug it into your USB cable attached to the comptuer, then
    Code:
    lsusb
    look for your 700wx, mine listed as
    Code:
    Bus 003 Device 004:  ID 045e:0079 Microsoft Corp.
    Write down the vendor id which is the first set of numbers and then the product id which is the last set of numbers, Stop the Modem Link program and disconnect Treo from the USB cable.
    Run
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/rc.local
    Add these lines above "exit 0" use the vendor and product numbers your wrote down, make sure you start each number with 0x
    EXAMPLE OF RC.LOCAL
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh -e
    #
    #rc.local
    #
    #This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
    #Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
    #value on error.
    #
    #In order to enable or disable the script just change the execution
    #bits.
    #
    #By default this script does nothing.

/sbin/modprobe ipaq vendor=0x1234 product=0x5678
    touch /var/lock/subsys/local
    exit 0
    Code:
    /sbin/modprobe ipaq vendor=-0x045e product=0x0079
    touch /var/lock/subsys/local
    save and close
    Code:
    sudo /etc/rc.local start
    To Test
    Code:
    tail -n 0 -f /var/log/message
    Press enter
    Start Modem Link on the Treo and reconnect it to the USB cable. If the driver loaded the output should look something like the following
    Code:
    usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
    usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    ipaq 3-1:1.0: PocketPC PDA converter detected
    usb 3-1: PocketPC PDA converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    I had to use CTRL+C to get out of the output
    If you didn't see the above output, Craig suggests a restart at this time
    If you did see an output similar to the above, write down the information of where the PocketPC PDA converter is attached to.
    (the rest of this howto is provided by the Sprint Broadband Setup Guide)
    **Make sure you're connected to the internet to download appropriate packages**
    Download KPPP and KPPLogview
    click on APPLICATIONS>ADD/REMOVE
    Select ALL
    Search for ppp
    Select KPPP and KPPPLongview
    Click APPLY
    After it's done downloading and in stalling, close ADD/REMOVE
    Now let's configure the KPPP to use the modem we configured previously
    Click APPLICATIONS>INTERNET>KPPP
    Click CONFIGURE>>NEW>MANUAL SETUP
    Name the connection whatever you desire
    Click ADD
    enter #777 for the phone number, click OK>OK
    this will take you back to KPPP Configuration
    click the MODEM tab click NEW
    name the modem whatever you desire
    click the down arrow on the MODEM DEVICE and change it to the location that corresponds to the where your PocketPC PDA is attached to (mine is /dev/ttyUSB0) Click OK>OK, this will exit your out of KPPP CONFIGURATION
    click CONNECT and watch your Treo connect you to the internet!

I rebooted my laptop several times, the only error I received once was that KPPP couldn't detect a carrier. I disconnected my Treo from the USB cable and waited a few seconds, then plugged it back in and this resolved the problem.

Good luck!!!
    P.S. This might work with other distros too.
    Last edited by elephant007; 09/13/2007 at 04:39 PM. Reason: trying to uncomplicate
    this is very confusing....now to get me worng i am thankful for your intentions but..... i got lost after look for code(where) and "Add these lines above "exit 0" use the vendor and product numbers your wrote down, make sure you start each number with 0x"<<<<< i am confused and how to do this and how you got there???? once again thanks in advance
  3.    #3  
    I tweaked the HowTo a bit, re-read and see what you think
    Are you doing the steps as you are reading them? It would be less complicated if you were actually doing the steps as you are reading the howto.
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant007 View Post
    I tweaked the HowTo a bit, re-read and see what you think
    Are you doing the steps as you are reading them? It would be less complicated if you were actually doing the steps as you are reading the howto.
    My ? is where do i excute these changes on my phone laptop or what???? once again thanks in advance(for example step 3 & 4?)
    @chavezguy04: implement the changes in your Linux box. Essentially the instructions tell your computer to automatically load the needed module upon each boot of your computer (and the "sudo /etc/rc.local start" loads it during your current session).

@elephant007: Thanks a lot, I'll try this today. The head start is much appreciated.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by chavezguy04 View Post
    My ? is where do i excute these changes on my phone laptop or what???? once again thanks in advance(for example step 3 & 4?)
  6.    #6  
    You make the changes on your Ubuntu Linux computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant007 View Post
    You make the changes on your Ubuntu Linux computer.
    Ok so is it safe to say that i can or cant do this with my window vista computer??????
  8.    #8  
    Not for vista. gee this whole time I was concerned that I had written a confusing howto and the whole time it was you. Nowhere in this howto does it mention Vista until you. This guide is for Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn Linux users.