Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was just looking at the photos and the first thing I saw was that they ditch the Palm Connector (smart move, everyone uses USB ports) and they don't have the mute switch! This was one of the best features of the Treo 180/270/300 and has been on every Treo since then.

Also does this have the special Sauce that other WM Palms have? like threaded SMS? the phone app looks a little different but idk if that's just a skin.

Any ideas?

---------------

Looks like there is a different launcher too, welcomed changes. I've used the Blackjack and the Dash, those were just cumbersome to use.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    It lost the mute switch in favor of a miniUSB connector. I hope they keep the miniUSB AND the mute switch on the LinuxPalm Treo!
    Hard to believe that they would ditch the MUTE switch since whole articles were dedicated to how Palm came up with the idea and how well it has been received!

See the attached pic. That could be a mute switch or an IR port on the top of the phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by swieder; 09/12/2007 at 09:48 AM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Shown in the last pic is the on/off button. This pic shows all with labels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the only special sauce looks to be the carousel thing, which vodafone developed, so far as I can tell. Palm is phoning this one in. don't get me wrong, I don't think it's all that bad that Palm is phoning this one in - a cheap smartphone that cost them little to develop but sells well is just fine
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    See the attached pic. That could be a mute switch or an IR port on the top of the phone.
    A clear shot shows it's not a switch:
    Do you think the miniUSB will be the connector going forward? Or do you think this was something that was also 'phoned in'?
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Hard to believe that they would ditch the MUTE switch since whole articles were dedicated to how Palm came up with the idea and how well it has been received!

Unless they are using that button to act as a mute & power switch (hold the button for 1 second to mute, 3 sec to power down). Then again, the End button can also be the power button, leaving that top button as a toggle mute switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Unless they are using that button to act as a mute & power switch (hold the button for 1 second to mute, 3 sec to power down). Then again, the End button can also be the power button, leaving that top button as a toggle mute switch.
    Well, it clearly says the On/Off button. Maybe it will still cycle mute, off, on.
    My HTC Vox WM smartphones power button acts as a profile switcher. If you tap it a menu comes up, and you can switch between vibrate etc. If you press and hold the device goes off.

WM Smartphones do not have a suspend function - the screen just dims after 15-30 seconds, so the power button does not get used a lot, and is free to be used for other things.

Surur
    The 'special sauce' was also something that I noticed was missing. It appears there is nothing special about this Treo. It might as well be a Blackjack, Moto Q9, or any other of the many similar WM smartphones.

Like Septimus says, it looks like they phoned this one in. Just came up with their own keyboard and external body and 'threw' a generic WM smartphone in. And I agree it's not necessarily a bad thing. Just getting a cheap to develop cheap phone out there to bring in the revenue. Palm has been plagued with complexity which has been instrumental in their decline. They have to simplify the product to market path which appears to be what this did in order to stay competitive.

What I DON'T like about this is that it carries the Treo model name and number without carrying the signature Treo enhancements.

At this point if I like the look and feel of this device, I may get it (I haven't decided.) Otherwise I have no reason to stick with the Treo. The Moto Q9 and others look just as good.
    I may also get it just to support an American company as well as curiosity.

Good job on the large memory at least. If they had just put in WiFi they'd have set this apart from the others.
    Im sure it will have Palms special sauce. This device has awesome specs. The memory looks perfect, bt 2.0. Oh man, I might just have to jump to Sprint to check this baby out.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    Oh man, I might just have to jump to Sprint to
    check this baby out.
    What Sprint are getting is the Centro, which is quite a bit different to the Treo 500 discussed here
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    What Sprint are getting is the Centro, which is quite a bit different to the Treo 500 discussed here
    Shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    A clear shot shows it's not a switch:
    It definitely is a switch. The question is does it switch more then just power.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    I was just looking at the photos and the first thing I saw was that they ditch the Palm Connector (smart move, everyone uses USB ports) and they don't have the mute switch! This was one of the best features of the Treo 180/270/300 and has been on every Treo since then.
    I'm not sure, but they may be doing what my great Kyocera 7135 Palm phone does: if you hold down the down volume button for a couple of seconds, it turns on/off the silent mode. It works great and doesn't need a separate button. When it goes into silent mode it vibrates, so you know it.
    All Windows Mobile 6 devices have a single press feature on a power button to bring up a profile, lock and wireless manager "Quick List'. This works on my HTC s710 that is on Crossbow.

The secret sauce here is an interface most unlike the standard WM6 UI on my HTC device. I think Palm has given Crossbow a makeover - see those tabbed menus in the UI shots, they are not on other Windows Mobile 6 devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    the only special sauce looks to be the carousel thing, which vodafone developed, so far as I can tell.
    Just curious, what makes you say Vodafone developed it? Is it that it's on their other phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Just curious, what makes you say Vodafone developed it? Is it that it's on their other phones?
    Now that we know what we are looking for it appears to be here too.

Surur
    Hmm. Perhaps I still don't know what to look for, because I just see a common background image...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast