Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  

I present you with an equation:

Yet Another Qwerty Keyboard Windows Mobile Smartphone +
    Thicker than the competition +
    No ringer switch (!) +
    Tri-Band GMS and only the 2100 Band on UMTS means it won't work well in the United States +
    We already gave you all the deets ourselves yesterday

=

Yawn.

Sorry, Palm. I'll give you points for trying and maybe I'll change my tune when I get my hands on one, but after all this, I still don't understand why I wouldn't get a Dash, or a Blackjack, or a Q9H (when it arrives). The Treo 500v is a big, wet kiss for Vodafone and their network, but on this side of the pond I can't say we're especially jealous. See, we had our first kiss a long time ago when the Q hit and have been smooching thin little smartphones ever since. Er, not so much smooching and holding them up to our cheeks, but you get the idea. YAQKWMS *indeed*.

Ok, ok, ok. I will give you points for the generous 150mb of user storage and the long battery life. Plus, nice job finally ditching that hateful Treo Athena connector in favor of miniUSB. Don't ever go back.

Palm Europe has announced the Treo 500v, a Windows Mobile Standard Smartphone designed for the European market on the Vodafone network. It should be initially be available exclusively to Vodafone customers beginning the first of October, the price is still unknown.
    Read: treocentral.com >> Stories >> Hardware >> Palm Launches Treo 500v in Europe

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/pa...treo_500v.html
    testing moving articles around, to see if our blog / forum integration still works.

Also, comment here if you like.
    Its pretty nice looking, and white, unlike all the black smartphones. If they actually do some advertising, and manage to get Vodafone to drop this in the consumer side instead of the business side of the store (where the 750v now resides) they have a chance selling a few 1000. I think the flash advert on their site is pretty nice. They could have done more though, and I think the inclusion of GPS would have really put them over the top.

One thing is clear though - Palm does not stand for cutting edge technology.

Surur
    No software enhancements? Does that mean no threaded SMS or photo speed dial?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    http://www.theunwired.net/?item=vide...e-6-smartphone

In this video the interface (the little you see of it) looks pretty smooth.

Surur
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    This from Vodaphone: "...we are confident the Palm Treo 500v will appeal to the growing group of consumers looking for the same functionality and ease of use our business customers continue to enjoy... " So it does seem like they are indeed focusing on the consumer market. On Palm's regional EU website, they're marketing the device for work or business secondarily.
    Last edited by 1PTUser; 09/12/2007 at 09:02 AM. Reason: new signature
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    Interesting unwired article.

VIDEOVIEW: Hands-on Video of the new Palm Treo 500v Home Screen Navigation
    Posted by Arne Hess - at Wednesday, 12.09.07 - 15:48:39 CET under 07 - Reviews - Viewed 11x
    Tagged under: [Hands-on] [Video] [Palm] [Vodafone] [Treo_500v] [Home_Screen] [Windows_Mobile_6_Standard]
    [Blocked Ads]
    While the new Treo 500v doesn't includes too much customized software, as we have seen it before with the Palm Treo 750 and 750v, the Treo 500v features one innovation which is a completely redesigned Home screen layout and menu structure.
    It's quite similar to the Samsung SGH-i600 Home screen carousel but it's different. First of all, the Home screen main navigation is left/right not up/down where tasks can be selected by navigation up/down later. However, unlike Samsung's Home screen carousel, which stays on the screen, the Vodafone menu is hidden on the first sight but it's activated by pressing the Start button.

This means, the Start button doesn't brings you straight forward into the typical Windows Mobile Start menu anymore but it activates the Home screen navigation. Another interesting idea is the fact that this menu is dynamic - not static. If you receive a SMS message, the first action item you see is the option to open the SMS. If you have a missed call, the first action item is to get information about the missed call, and so on. So the menu adjusts itself, depending on the situation:

Power user can still open the Windows Mobile typical Start menu, but instead of pressing the start button, you have to click on the action button which opens the well known Windows Mobile menu:

Bellow, a video which better shows how the new Treo 500v Start menu works:

According to Palm, the new Start menu is the result of the cooperation between Palm, Vodafone and Microsoft but I'm not sure if Palm was heavily involved into the development. If you compare the screenshots with this screen of Vodafone's recently announced Vodafone 920, it seems that this is the new Vodafone look and feel for its Windows Mobile smartphones.

Cheers ~ Arne
    They have really exposed a lot of functionality to the casual user, and the interface is "fluidish" This could really do a lot to make the OS of the device a non-issue for casual users. See the original article for pictures and a video of the interface in action.

http://www.theunwired.net/?item=vide...een-navigation

Surur
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    I think I see how they may be offering push-type functionality on the different email accounts. Offer 4Smartphone's hosted Exchange service acting like RIM with BES. "4SmartPhone doesn't require that their customers use their own domain, and they will set your account up so that you can forward another email address to your Exchange mailbox and have emails sent from your Exchange mailbox appear to come from that email address. Other servers like Mail2Web and Sherweb don't support this."
    Something old, something new. I got a ringer switch and 800W .
    According to Palm, the new Start menu is the result of the cooperation between Palm, Vodafone and Microsoft but I'm not sure if Palm was heavily involved into the development. If you compare the screenshots with this screen of Vodafone's recently announced Vodafone 920, it seems that this is the new Vodafone look and feel for its Windows Mobile smartphones.
    I think that Palm was very much not involved in the development. I think Voda wants to standardize this interface across as many devices as they can.
    Any mention, screen shot, or something that says it has threaded SMS?
    I'm not against the 500v in concept, I think it makes sense for Palm as a company to do it, but this is just another mediocre half-assed product from Palm. Nothing here that couldn't (or hasn't already) been done by any other company.
    Well I have been listening to everyone talk about how this device isn't groundbreaking. About how this isn't anything other companies haven't done before. Well I have a newsflash for everyone:

Every year car companies put out cars with similar features and similar designs. People choose which of these many similar cars they think is the best option for them.

Is you LCD or Plasma TV really all that different from the other ones sitting right next to it in the store?

In other words, Palm has finally caught up with the times. So now when you walk into a phone store they are one of the phones that you will consider. They aren't the only option but they are A option. There are only 5 or 6 phones with this form factor that have a keyboard and other similar features. I believe palm is happy getting their share.

As far as I'm concerned, all things being equal I will buy a Palm product. If there are other superior products then I will have a decision to make. So if everyone's complaining that this is the same as other phones, I believe Palm is satisfied. There goal was simply to have a product with similar features as their competition so they could compete.

Now supposedly the superior product is still to come but even when it does it's still likely that there will be other phones out just like it. We all know how technology is. No matter what you make, your competition will usually catch up in a month or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post
    In other words, Palm has finally caught up with the times. ... No matter what you make, your competition will usually catch up in a month or two.
    So herein is the problem... by your own notions, in order for Palm to be considered "competition" (i.e. effectively competing), they need to be at least at par for the pack within "a month or two". But it has taken Palm more than 18 months to get to this point, relative to the Q et al, and it *still* is not up to the competition in thinness (i.e. Palm's engineering for some reason requires 30-50% more device volume to accomplish essentially the same hardware functions).

Meanwhile the competition (the market mindshare) has moved on. Apple has just took a 1mil unit slice out of the market pie. And with a $200 price drop, the iPhone is now actually cheap, given all the technology in it. The Touch/Vogue and other imitators (competition) are revving up. Will Palm now also be able to "catch up in a month or two" ? (Why is Palm playing 18month catch up anyways, when it *was* years ahead of everyone else not so long ago...)
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neurocutie View Post
    Why is Palm playing 18month catch up anyways, when it *was* years ahead of everyone else not so long ago...
    Complacency largely.
    Actually its a major mystery. When they can order near any configuration from Asia, why are their devices always so thick? Why does it never have the best technology? It just does not make sense.

Surur
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Actually its a major mystery. When they can order near any configuration from Asia, why are their devices always so thick? Why does it never have the best technology? It just does not make sense.
    Monty Panesar works for them in R&D??
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    it's about time that more and more people finally start to admit how poor of a job Palm has done with their form factors (amongst a host of others). it's the one thing that i've been harping on them for some time now....if you only need the basic features why would anyone want to carry around such a big, clunky device? the interesting thing nowadays is that not many people are doing so any longer. they've finally woken up and realized that there are a lot of other choices out there.

poor palm
    Last edited by oalvarez; 09/12/2007 at 11:31 PM.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Monty Panesar works for them in R&D??
    I thought he worked for Apple ?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    it's about time that more and more people finally start to admit how poor of a job Palm has done with their form factors (amongst a host of others). it's the one thing that i've been harping on them for some time now....if you only need the basic features why would anyone want to carry around such a big, clunky device? the interesting thing nowadays is that not many people are doing so any longer. they've finally woken up and realized that there is a lot of other choices out there.

poor palm
    I dont mind a big device, but there has be be a pay-off in some way. If its big it has to be because they could not fit in the latest greatest in a smaller package.

When everyone else has shown they can fit in more in less Palm just looks weak.

Surur
    Personally, I will never buy this phone simply because it is WM based. But it is not a bad looking phone for a consumer who is getting his/her first smartphone and doesn't want to spend a lot of money. In fact, I think the 500v looks much nicer than the Q and the Dash.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast