1.    #1  
    http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/1338-1.htm
    Unlike the Treo 750, which featured a tri-band UMTS and a quad-band GSM radion (making it usable in the United Stated), the Treo 500v only has the UMTS 2100 band and tri-band GSM (900/1800/1900), meaning it will not work with 3G networks in the US until T-Mobile completes its planned network upgrade, which will include the 2100 UMTS band. If Palm does intend to release the Treo 500v in the US (perhaps as simply the "Treo 500," then it will need to change the radio.
    ..Am I way off base here?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Pretty stupid if true even if they don't intend to sell it in the US. Plenty of us visit, and would rather like our phones to work there.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    One really gets the impression Palm just re-branded some-one else's device.

Surur
    It will work in the US, not 3G and not everywhere though. If you are hitting most areas of the country you will be fine. Its in 850 areas that folks might have an issue.

Most probably a ODM rebrand. For Palm, that is quicker time to market and hopefully a easier time in support.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  5.    #5  
    I totally agree, surur and antoine, this doesn't smell like a palm device at all. no ringer switch. mini usb. a ton of storage space.

On the other hand, it IS thick, so maybe...

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Centro is the US specific model, the 500 looks like it was designed with only Europe in mind.
    Obviously if it come to ATT/Cingular, it will have US triband and be called "500w" or just 500..

It's up to ATT to make the call.
    Hey...no HSDPA? The specs say 3G/UMTS. I am not sure it's a given that WM6 will automatically use HSDPA if available. Anyone know?
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    No HSDPA. Just have to mention one word: Moto Q9h.

The lack of compatible US bands make me believe it will take quite a bit of time to re-design the device to bring it here. Who knows how is that going to play, unless of course Palm just sells it as is with EDGE support (And that is somewhat limited dues to lack of 850MHz band) and in that case, how many will pick this ugly thing up next to an Excalibur, Dopod or even iPhone?
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    No HSDPA. Just have to mention one word: Moto Q9h.

The lack of compatible US bands make me believe it will take quite a bit of time to re-design the device to bring it here. Who knows how is that going to play, unless of course Palm just sells it as is with EDGE support (And that is somewhat limited dues to lack of 850MHz band) and in that case, how many will pick this ugly thing up next to an Excalibur, Dopod or even iPhone?
    Low priced devices are design first for carriers and then for users. Because the HSDPA/UMTS side of things is more built out, a device having it is a lot more important than having EDGE. If you will, it seems that in EU, either people do data and do it big, or they don't do it at all. Either way, the carrier costs are the factor.

For here in the US, it would (usually) mean a good bit of software tweaking, not hardware, to get the same device working here. However, as I understand it, the software/firmware that controls the actual radios is complicated enough to make it seem that GSM there and here are two differing pieces of hardware.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.