Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Still too thick for my tastes. What's in this thing that's keeping Palm from shaving it down another 4-5 mm?
    I wonder what the battery capacity is. Looks solid though not inspiring. Needs something more, even as a "low-end" Treo release.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Same capacity battery as the 750, 1200mAh
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Same capacity battery as the 750, 1200mAh
    that's not confidence inspiring...will have to wait and see i suppose
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Its on the UK website now.
    http://euro.palm.com/uk/

but when you click find out more it doesn't work. Typical Palm....

Nice flash advert though, they should put it on TV.

Surur
    Everything seems to be working now... but that front picture looks like crap... pure crap...

Click on "buy" and it says it will be available 1st Oct... I'm guessing 1st Oct 2008.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    So the specs are out and what I was expecting all along... a device that does not have anything good going for it.

Yes, it has a mini-USB interface. The first time for a Palm device, but too late for the market as everyone else has it already. A welcome feature nonetheless.

No ringer switch? Well well well, perhaps one of the simplest yet more powerful things going on for Treos was that switch. A silly thing yes, but try to mute your WM6 standard in less than a second without the switch...

No touchscreen. A complete departure from Palm theology of design. I remember when the 750v got released how they were saying that devices with no touchscreen and WM would be hard to handle. But then the plethora of devices came along and of course, market dictates a different story.

No HSDPA? Just have to mention one word: Moto Q9h.

The 500v IS THICKER even with same specs as those products it's trying to compete against. That is a mortal sin UNLESS the thickness translates in at least an extra hour or more of battery life. We will see.

The lack of compatible US bands make me believe it will take quite a bit of time to re-design the device to bring it here. Who knows how is that going to play, unless of course Palm just sells it as is with EDGE support (And that is somewhat limited dues to lack of 850MHz band) and in that case, how many will pick this ugly thing up next to an Excalibur, Dopod or even iPhone?
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    The 500v IS THICKER even with same specs as those products it's trying to compete against. That is a mortal sin UNLESS the thickness translates in at least an extra hour or more of battery life. We will see.
    I understand the entire world rates phones on thickness alone, but there are other measurements, like how wide it is:

Moto Q q9h = 67mm
    Moto Q8 = 64mm

Treo 500 = 61mm

It's also 14g lighter than the Q q9h, 5 heavier than the Q.

As far as battery:

Blackjack = 1000mah
    Q = 1130 mah
    Q q9h = 1170 mah
    Treo 500 = 1200 mah

It's almost as if size is proportional to battery capacity. Crazy stuff.

Granted these measurements mean nothing to everyone here, but figured I'd throw them out to waste my time, lol.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/12/2007 at 01:21 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I understand the entire world rates phones on thickness alone, but there are other measurements, like how wide it is:

Moto Q q9h = 67mm
    Moto Q8 = 64mm

Treo 500 = 61mm

Granted these measurements mean nothing to everyone here, but figured I'd throw them out to waste my time, lol.
    When it comes to volume, thickness is a much bigger factor than width.

Surur
    When it comes to volume, thickness is a much bigger factor than width.

Surur
    True.

Yet for everyday, 1-handed usage, I would say width is more critical, ergonomically:

UBIQUIO 501 aka "world's thinnest ppc phone"

Verus

Huge, chubby Treo 750

True.

Yet for everyday, 1-handed usage, I would say width is more critical, ergonomically:

UBIQUIO 501 aka "world's thinnest ppc phone"

Verus

Huge, chubby Treo 750
    Thats a most unusual grip. Normally you would hold it close to the bottom,not the side edge. I think that person was just trying to prove a point.

Surur

Moto Q q9h = 67mm
    Moto Q8 = 64mm

Treo 500 = 61mm
    Guess you forget to include the Blackjack in the above...

Blackjack = 59mm
    *and* only 11.7mm thin...

Dash = 62mm
    13mm thin

I think the point here is that the Treo 500v has very little going for it to distinguish itself from the even 2 year-old competition. It is a plump, late also-ran, YAQWS (Yet Another QWERTY WM Smartphone). It will undoubtedly sell some... but jeez what a continuing, uninspiring letdown...
    Thats a most unusual grip. Normally you would hold it close to the bottom,not the side edge. I think that person was just trying to prove a point.

Surur
    Right, the point that it's quite wide and your thumb has more distance to traverse. I've experienced the same thing on the Moto Q. It's not that wide/think devices don't work, they just feel strange in your hand--like you're gripping a plate, once reason I went back to the Treo. That's why many like adding extending batteries to them to round out the back.

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

Moto Q q9h = 67mm
    Moto Q8 = 64mm

Treo 500 = 61mm

It's also 14g lighter than the Q q9h, 5 heavier than the Q.

As far as battery:

Blackjack = 1000mah
    Q = 1130 mah
    Q q9h = 1170 mah
    Treo 500 = 1200 mah

It's almost as if size is proportional to battery capacity. Crazy stuff.

I am in no way a user ergonomics engineer. However I work closely with a few folk who know what they do and here's the line of though that most people forget to follow:

- There is a minimum device VOLUME that will fit all of the required features. So wider devices will be thinner will narrower ones will be thicker.

- Z height (or thickness) is a huge factor because it can directly be related to weight. This is the perceived notion mind you, and is something that we have all experienced at some point. Consumers have that in mind the moment they see the device on the shelves and/or ads on TV, so part of the marketing should be focused on shifting the attention to the weight and/or other good things about the device.

- Thickness is also related to battery life. The thinnest the battery, the shorter lifespan your device will have. However, here are the rated values for the devices in question:

Treo 500v 4.5 talk / 10 days standby.
    MotoQ9h 6.5 talk / 20 days standby.
    Dash (Excalibur) 5 talk / 9 days standby
    Blackjack 5.5 talk / 11 days standby

But all of these values are pure marketing spiel or predicted battery life number if you will. Until the real thing is tested in real life we have to take the number as they are.

So now the biggest question is, is that thickness justified, at least on paper? This cannot be answered without having a full review of the phone nor without having the exact specs down to the individual parts. Is Palm using a less bright LCD that the MotoQ? Has Palm tweaked WM6 for battery savings? How the radio management implemented in this phone? With that in mind, we can only take the "brute measurements" and make the following statements based on the paper trail of all the existing devices compared to the paper specs of the 500v:

- Palm is thicker than the rest, no way around it (a negative trait)
    - Palm has a bigger battery, which one would assume makes the device stay on for longer... but the rated talk time is less than other similar devices (a second negative).

So once the reviews start pouring in, we will all know how battery life really is in this litttle bugger. Then we will know if the design tradeoff is worthy or not. But as things stand today, Palm comes out with an unimpressive device, in a somewhat crowded market with an underwhelming device.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    So do we know if this has the threaded SMS?
    Not that it matters, but THE Gandolf is a small Palm-based device that's white. I have it direct from engineers on Gandolf. That means we're looking at another product coming out soon!
    Sorry but this phone was already announced and it is coming out in two colors. White, and a dark gray.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456