Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Time to compete with the motorola Q and Blackjack, also the iphone has an integrated keyboard and it is actually pretty good.... the only thing is that it does not have the tactile feedback people like so there is no way to memorize the keyboard and look away and still type the way we would with a keyboard.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    I don't get it. Why is everyone saying it looks "better" than the Centro? I know the Treo 500 has a wider screen since it's using WM Smartphone Edition / the basic WM6 and they are different colors, but other than those two things they look pretty similar.
    I totally agree. However, I didn't think the Gandolf looked 'fugly' in the first place!

My only concern is that everyone was complaining about the small keyboard...
    I too like how the Treo 500 / Centro looks. I think the all white unit they showed before was pretty nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    My only concern is that everyone was complaining about the small keyboard...
    Not anymore:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/11/m...rint/#comments

The centro and palm for side by side comparison

After playing with both for about an hour i noticed little to no difference in typing on the qwerty with the centro to the treo. the centro was much nicer to hold in hand and accomplished everything with the polish that the Treo series are known for,
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    So, the Sprint CDMA PalmOS version is the Centro, and a GSM WM6 version is a Treo 500? That makes no sense at all!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    So, the Sprint CDMA PalmOS version is the Centro, and a GSM WM6 version is a Treo 500? That makes no sense at all!
    The Centro is smaller than the 500, the screens are different sizes/layouts and one is touchscreen the other isn't, which should be enough justification for different model numbers/names
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Now that they've taken away the touch screen--let's see how thin it is. Wasn't Palm's main excuse for the thickness the touch screen? (iPhone shattered that myth.)
    I always thought battery life was their main concern. Are there any actual quotes from Palm regarding this issue or just speculation?

Quote Originally Posted by airibis View Post
    This really drops my hopes for the 800w

Are they still putting out an 800w? (3 new phones in this amount of time seems like a a lot for palm, 2 seems a bit right)

I also assume when the (if the) 800w comes out it will keep this "new treo" look; as well as there being no hope for SD/IO slot (mini sd.. ick)
    See Post #37
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Well, WM6 (both standard and Pro) have a better contact and number search that Palm provides on the today screen. The only "tweak" that might be nice to have on the Standard platform is the voicemail control icons.
    Well, you have very different standards when it comes to WM Standard than I

Standard needs...

(1) To be faster, less sluggish
    (2) New Start menu, since the default is inefficient (SPB gets this with Mobile Shell)
    (3) Ignore with SMS
    (4) Speed dial by letter, not just number
    (5) Ringer switch!
    (6) ringer options for known, unknown and roaming callers
    (7) more accurate battery reader (Q has 25% increments; 700 has 1%)
    (8) better VM controls
    (9) threaded SMS
    (10) add new number option to (a) new contact (b) existing contact
    (11) better keyloack e.g. 1 button unlock
    (12) <Insert unknown modifications here>

Plus, the one thing you mention is what MS ripped off from Palm, the Today Search for contacts. I have to ask, in which way is it better? I find it more bulky and I can SMS and Email right from the today screen as well as call the contact w/Palm's version.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Interesting to see folks trying to make something positive out of this Treo 500 deal. How can this device compete against the Q/Dash/Excalibur/iPhone/Blackberry when?

- This new 500 does not have WiFi. Of the devices mentioned above the Excalibur/iPhone/Blackberry offer it. This is and will be for a while the biggest sin in all of Palm's design theology.
    - The keyboard looks cramped. In all fairness, the newest Q(9h/9m) has a very good keyboard. Much better than anything I have tried in smartphones to this date.
    - This device is clearly a "me too" type of thing. Again, not the shot in the arm Palm so desperately needs.

Perhaps this device makes HTC even more a powerhouse since now even Palm follows their design trends...
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    This device has 3G, whereas the Dash doesn't. The blackjack similarly has 3G and no WIFI.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    This device has 3G, whereas the Dash doesn't. The blackjack similarly has 3G and no WIFI.

Surur
    That maybe so, but doesn't the European update to the Dash have both WiFi and 3g?
    As does the european blackjack, but that is a different market.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    Interesting to see folks trying to make something positive out of this Treo 500 deal. How can this device compete against the Q/Dash/Excalibur/iPhone/Blackberry when?

- This new 500 does not have WiFi. Of the devices mentioned above the Excalibur/iPhone/Blackberry offer it. This is and will be for a while the biggest sin in all of Palm's design theology.
    - The keyboard looks cramped. In all fairness, the newest Q(9h/9m) has a very good keyboard. Much better than anything I have tried in smartphones to this date.
    - This device is clearly a "me too" type of thing. Again, not the shot in the arm Palm so desperately needs.

Perhaps this device makes HTC even more a powerhouse since now even Palm follows their design trends...
    No Wifi is definitely a downer, but if it's meant to keep costs down and make this a cheap(er) device, it may work.

The "me too" thing ignores the obvious: that market is huge and profitable. The Q, Dash, BJ are all big sellers, so if you made phones why would you not enter that market to compete?

And the Q and BJ have lots of issues that maybe others can address (poor KB on the Q, awful battery life on the BJ)--they are hardly perfect devices and the Q had quite a backlash against here in the U.S. (I'm also not aware if the Q8 (GSM Q) is even available anywhere).

As far as the keyboard "looking cramped", until it gets reviewed and people try it, this is just random observations.

Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    The 500 being an entry level smartphone seems like a good offering. Both operating systems and a couple of colors. Most of the specs exceed the current flagship 700 series. Looked like good RAM 150??, BT2.0 and 2MP camera. The missing wifi in the european market is a big hole. Unless I have missed it I have not seen a price listed for this yet. If it is around the $99 as the Centro it should do good, but European taste are different. It may not be flashy enough in that aspect.
    The Treo Nano. Great..

Flop flop we go...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

Plus, the one thing you mention is what MS ripped off from Palm, the Today Search for contacts. I have to ask, in which way is it better? I find it more bulky and I can SMS and Email right from the today screen as well as call the contact w/Palm's version.
    No, MS didn't rip off anything. It's the standard smart search on the default WM dialpad. While I don't have a WM6 device with the new dialpad, I understand that the search is a lot more flexible and will even search phone numbers as opposed to just contact names.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    No, MS didn't rip off anything. It's the standard smart search on the default WM dialpad. While I don't have a WM6 device with the new dialpad, I understand that the search is a lot more flexible and will even search phone numbers as opposed to just contact names.
    Well, we're getting OT here, but on WM6 what happens is you start to type and it basically launches the entire phone app/dial pad and just uses that for the search, just like the standard "smart dialer" in WM5, as opposed to the Palm version which keeps it all on the Today screen in the plugin.

It's personal preference but there is nothing really impressive about the WM6 search, it just saves you the extra step of hitting your green button. I happen to like the Palm one since I can call, SMS, or email the contact from that search.

new pics plz

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/11/n...s-back-and-si/

Keyboard is apparently X-rated and has been blurred out to protect the children.
    new pics plz

Keyboard is apparently X-rated and has been blurred out to protect the children.
    Sick...That Treo looks good, X-rated good.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I always thought battery life was their main concern. Are there any actual quotes from Palm regarding this issue or just speculation?
    in all actuality, the touchscreen has been talked about many times before as being the culprit for the Treo's thickess (on this website), hence the more thin MotoQ/Dash/BlackJack/Blackberry. remember, the Treo680 is big and bulky albeit a tiny bit less-so than it's predecessors. how big is its battery? not very. the difference with the iPhone is that it simply has a battery that is more advanced in its design (thin but as big as its footprint so to speak). at least that's my opinion.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    new pics plz

i personally like it. as long as it had sufficient memory i could possibly see switching out of the Pearl for my Mon-Fri needs. then again, for me, it would have to last at least a day (running Goodlink in the background) on its battery, not be subject to resets and slowdowns, and be much less bulky/heavy than the 680.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast