Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    As a low end device it has potential. It all depends on the memory and stability, however. If they go cheap on the memory and the thing crashes all the time you may well just flush Palm down the toilet. They don't get anymore miscues after the Foleo fiasco.
    Isn't this a me too device that's late to the party? Why is this better than a WM6 upgraded Blackjack or the HTC Cavalier or Moto Q?

Are there indications that WM6 is "Palm customized?" That would make it a little better as my Treo 700w still runs more smoothly than many newer devices with better specs.

Regardless, this device is hardly a big splash for Palm as it's similar to many other devices out there. At least when HP made a splash they added virtually every feature possible.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Looks like Moto Q and Blackjack have got a real competitor this time. However, it's basically using the same form factor as the Centro, why don't they name it something else, so they can keep the Treo as a high-end brand?
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by KeilwerthSX90R View Post
    Isn't this a me too device that's late to the party? Why is this better than a WM6 upgraded Blackjack or the HTC Cavalier or Moto Q?

Are there indications that WM6 is "Palm customized?" That would make it a little better as my Treo 700w still runs more smoothly than many newer devices with better specs.

Regardless, this device is hardly a big splash for Palm as it's similar to many other devices out there. At least when HP made a splash they added virtually every feature possible.
    I think it's imperative to keep in mind that the "500" series is supposed to be low-end, so outside of some basics, I'm not sure how it is suppose to "make a splash".

At least the BT is better than the Moto Q/q9h which only has 1.2. Other than that, yeah...WM Standard devices are, well, pretty standard. There are not many of those out there that really "wow". Heck, the Blackjack comes with two batteries, so that should tell you something about up-time on that device...

I think it's almost certain it'll have those Palm WM tweaks, which WM Standard is in need of.

Success of the device will depend on (1) price (2) how well it works (3) battery life

And those HP devices are between $500-800, so I'm not sure if that's a fair comparison.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    I think that's exactly right-- it's a blackjack clone (which itself was a Q and Dash clone). I'm a Q user, and I find that it's almost the PERFECT phone (for me). If the new Treo 500 has everything the Q (or Blackjack) has, but includes threaded text and perhaps better battery life, it might be enough to be a compelling option. With the following caveats though: it better not be too much fatter, and I hope Palm is realistic that while it's "special sauce" might be a nice value add, it doesn't deserve ANY sort of price premium. No one will pay 2X as much as a blackjack (i620) because of the Palm brand.
    I'll have to see the T500 in person before I make a judgment - but the Q9c is looking better all the time (I have whined about my Q a lot, but it has turned out to be a pretty good phone after MOL3).
    Wow that screen looks really nice. I wish Sprint were getting this instead of that centro crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    ...Thats ginormous!!!
    Thats what she said.
    Yawn.

I wonder if Palm will bundle Docs to Go, which is great on the Standard platform.

I think it's almost certain it'll have those Palm WM tweaks, which WM Standard is in need of.
    Well, WM6 (both standard and Pro) have a better contact and number search that Palm provides on the today screen. The only "tweak" that might be nice to have on the Standard platform is the voicemail control icons.
    Last edited by JGold; 09/10/2007 at 10:47 PM.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  9. ~Q~
    Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Yawn.

I wonder if Palm will bundle Docs to Go, which is great on the Standard platform.
    More standard than the versions of MS Office apps running on windows mobile for which Docs to Go is meant to emulate?
    If it's running WM, why is there no windows button?

Instead there is a home button (with the image of a 'house') a la Palm OS devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by dg252 View Post
    If it's running WM, why is there no windows button?

Instead there is a home button (with the image of a 'house') a la Palm OS devices.
    Look at the WM T-Mobile Dash keyboard - same set of keys.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Doesn't the 800w have a 1.3 Megapixel camera.... Not exactly raising the bar...

Surur
    I can read and read on...and I am still not impressed. None of these specs about the 800w are graved in stone or concrete. We will wait and see..."show me the money"
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    The expansion slot will be Micro-SD, just like the Treo 750...
    Er the 750 is mini-SD not micro-SD
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    This really drops my hopes for the 800w

Are they still putting out an 800w? (3 new phones in this amount of time seems like a a lot for palm, 2 seems a bit right)

I also assume when the (if the) 800w comes out it will keep this "new treo" look; as well as there being no hope for SD/IO slot (mini sd.. ick)
    I believe...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Q~ View Post
    More standard than the versions of MS Office apps running on windows mobile for which Docs to Go is meant to emulate?
    By Standard, I meant Windows Mobile 6 Standard, the name of the WM Smartphone version of the OS.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    As others have said, no touch screen is a sale killer for me.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    As others have said, no touch screen is a sale killer for me.

ET
    I hope they continue differentiating their line like this. I think they need at least 4 different form factors - candy-bar, flip, slider and full screen. They need to satisfy their current market and, with other devices, grow into new markets.

Surur
    I don't get it. Why is everyone saying it looks "better" than the Centro? I know the Treo 500 has a wider screen since it's using WM Smartphone Edition / the basic WM6 and they are different colors, but other than those two things they look pretty similar.
    This phone has to go out the door as a complete product .... i.e. NO BUGS.

If Palm puts out a low end, basic phone, which has lot's of competetion (Q, Dash, Pearl), and now of the high end features that seperates the Treo from the rest (touchscreen, etc) they have to get it right the first time. It's can't be another Treo 700P. It has to work out of the box.

if not, i would expect a big flop.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast