Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I've been a loyal Palm user since the very beginning. As soon as the first Treo came out I was quick to snap one up. I have since gone back and forth from Palm and Windows mobile devices for years. I have been burned 2 times too many now though. My biggest mistake was going from the Treo 650 to the VZW Treo 700P. The 700P was the buggiest and most unreliable/unsupported Palm device I have ever owned. After over a year with the 700P and no updates I couldn't wait to switch devices. I went ahead and purchased the 700WX as soon as it was released for VZW. The data connection issues plagued me from the start and now that they have botched the update for the device I have lost all confidence. What is even more validating for me is the fact that they just scrapped the Foleo only to lose millions. What a joke. Palm needs to get their head out.

Anyway, I went and got the Blackberry 8830. What a difference. All I can say is that I truly love my PDA/Phone again. No crashes or problems in over 3 weeks of use. Everything just works.

I know what some of you will think about this. You will claim that the Treo can do much more for the power user. I'll tell you what, I am a power user and have been for years. The blackberry does everything I need flawlessly. Sure, it doesn't have a camera. So what? I may have used the internal camera on my Treo 10 times in the last year. I didn't keep any of the pictures either. I have a Digital Elph that goes everywhere with me. I also had a problem paying a traffic ticket at the local court a few weeks ago because my Treo had a camera on it. I had to walk all the way back to my car to leave it behind because they do not allow camera phones in the courthouse. You may also claim that the multimedia features on the Treo are better than the Blackberry. Again, so what? I think I may have watched a full movie once on my Treo while on a flight. Sure, I used to feel that the ability to watch videos and listen to MP3's on my Treo was important. In the end, after serious evauation, I never used this feature other than to impress someone. I have an IPOD that does a much better job. BTW, my Blackberry can play movies and music too but I will NEVER use this feature on any phone again. I'm going to get the new IPOD Nano with Video Maybe the ability to edit documents is another potential argument. Well, the Blackberry can do that too with add-on software. Again, I can't remember the last time I did any real document creation or editing on my Treo. I would have argued that this feature was necessary before, until I really became honest with myself.

I know that there are more arguments about Treo vs. Blackberry. Bring them on. I'll be happy to answer any reasons for feeling that the Treo is truly superior to a new generation Blackberry. I feel really bad for Palm. As soon as more people like me figure out how great the new Blackberry's are Palm is doomed.

This switch is the 2nd best decision I have ever made. The first was switching from using Windows to using Mac. I now feel that everything has truly come full circle in my tech life.

Thank you Research in Motion and Apple.
    If you are going the 2 device route, get an iPod Touch as opposed to the new Nano...better video.

BB are just fine. I miss the 3rd party apps in WM.

I agree the 700p was a buggy devil. The problem was in the Palm OS...it's 10 years old and never built to phone/network stuff.

I have to say, however, the 700wx is pretty darn solid. Night and day compared to the 700p.

I toy with the idea to go BB once in while, but the 3rd party apps (PIM, Sling, others) keep me on the 700wx. And Live Search is awesome.

It's really a shame...Palm could make devices a lot better, but they figure flushing $10M toward the Fooleo was a better bet.

If only they had gotten Coblat right 6 years ago, they wouldn't be in this mess. Oh well.
    Dude, I feel your pain, but I haven't given up,,,,Yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by binarydreams View Post
    I'm going to get the new IPOD Nano with Video
    ok ... so you want to carry around 3 devices and all the cables and accessories . i'll give you a break on that , but can i ask you this ?

Why even consider any apple product at this time after the way they have handled all of the i-phone issues as of late (3 battery lawsuits and a crappy choice for phone provider) ? not to mention devaluing the device by 33% 2 months after launch .

that being said good luck in your pursuit of the ultimate multimedia package(s) !
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I have to say, however, the 700wx is pretty darn solid. Night and day compared to the 700p.
    I'd have to agree.... but the OP does have a point on the update. Palm has messed up (if it were possible) their good name this year. I don't trust a palm update... when the sprint update became available, I decided to wait and now I won't do that update.

Just think what 10 m could have done for the treo line.

HTC just announced an exchange email package... that should be palm... palm went in the wrong direction years ago, and I hope they can see the light now.... I have hope... heck, my treo wx is the best tool for the job right now... would be even better if they could get the radio to the standard of moto.

I'll stick with palm for right now, until something else with wm6 or wm7 comes along that makes me want to purchase... no matter if a palm or another device.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  6.    #6  
    Hi Captblaze,

You make a good point about the Iphone, I am not even in the market for such a device. The Iphone is not even a business class device. It is designed for the multimedia enthusiast and lacks any useful business applications that interoperate with any of the major desktop business software packages that I use. If Apple would have marketed a true business class PDA/Phone I definitely would have had my eye on it.

My IPOD does a phenomenal job of playing my multimedia and I rarely carry it on my person unless I am not working. I do use it daily in my car to listen to the news, music etc. I tried to use my Treo for this in the past and it is really annoying to have your playback interrupted during playback when you generally check caller ID before answering anyway. I don't really understand using GPS on the Treo either, whenever a call comes in it can screw things up. Going back to the IPhone, I typically wait to purchase new devices to avoid problems. The only company that has got me twice in a row with crappy purchases has been Palm. I loved Palm so much and felt so loyal to them after all these years that I purchased twice in a row on blind faith. Even after all of the problems with my 700P, I figured that Palm would never mess up twice in a row. Oh well, shame on me.

Regarding my camera, I only keep it in my car in case I need it for something. It actually can be useful in taking perfect snapshots of paper documents with perfect clarity. I use this instead of having to get photocopies when collecting documents from my clients. Try that with the crappy Treo camera. I don't typically go around taking other pictures unless I am not working. If I do need to take a picture I can just open my glove box and grab my awesome Canon Elph and take a real picture worth keeping.
    I know what some of you will think about this. You will claim that the Treo can do much more for the power user. I'll tell you what, I am a power user and have been for years. The blackberry does everything I need flawlessly. Sure, it doesn't have a camera. So what?
    (etc.etc.)

Thanks for your post, but this is another one of those "Device 'x' rocks because it never crashes" posts, when said device is essentially a closed system that does one or two things well and that's it.
    Same with iPhone, same with many people's use of Nokias, same with Blackberries. Everything's closed off, there's little in the way of custom apps (and certainly nowhere near the incredible amount of software available for WM and PalmOS). Also, BB's are essentially non-customizable which means you have to live with things you may not like.

They certainly work better than most WMs and POS devices out of the box, but I wouldn't call you a poweruser if you can get on fine with just email, a very crappy browser, and a couple of built-in apps.

And btw, I'm not defending Palm - they're honestly lucky to still be around after their complete lack of competence in carrying their products forward - but BB's are pretty mediocre in their own way, imho.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    My IPOD does a phenomenal job of playing my multimedia and I rarely carry it on my person unless I am not working. I do use it daily in my car to listen to the news, music etc. I tried to use my Treo for this in the past and it is really annoying to have your playback interrupted during playback when you generally check caller ID before answering anyway.
    Firstly, is it quite easy to disable the phone on the 700wx.

Secondly, I would hope that the iPod does a good job of playing your news and music back because it was specifically designed to do that.

The real question becomes whether you want to get into the business of carrying multiple devices on your persona day in and day out. I know I don't want to, and I am quite content listening to my podcasts on my 700wx.

I don't really understand using GPS on the Treo either, whenever a call comes in it can screw things up.
    Again, very easy to disable the phone if you have to. And I never have problems with my gps unit on my 700wx.

Going back to the IPhone, I typically wait to purchase new devices to avoid problems. The only company that has got me twice in a row with crappy purchases has been Palm. I loved Palm so much and felt so loyal to them after all these years that I purchased twice in a row on blind faith. Even after all of the problems with my 700P, I figured that Palm would never mess up twice in a row. Oh well, shame on me.
    Sounds to me like the biggest mistake you've made was buying a PalmOS based Treo.

Regarding my camera, I only keep it in my car in case I need it for something. It actually can be useful in taking perfect snapshots of paper documents with perfect clarity. I use this instead of having to get photocopies when collecting documents from my clients. Try that with the crappy Treo camera. I don't typically go around taking other pictures unless I am not working. If I do need to take a picture I can just open my glove box and grab my awesome Canon Elph and take a real picture worth keeping.
    Sounds like you are *****ing for the sake of *****ing here.

Again, why are you comparing the capabilities of a purpose built device with that of a device that wears many different hats? Do you know of ANY camera on a phone that takes as good a picture as your Elph?

The Treo camera is not great, but it is functional - and it takes decent pictures if there is abundant light around. And guess what, if I want to take a quick video of something I've seen and send it off to someone - I am going to use my 700wx with EVDO and not a digital camera.

This is what my 700wx can do:

- push email
    - surf the web
    - take pictures and send them
    - take video clips and send them
    - listen to podcasts
    - record lectures
    - read and work with MS Office documents
    - watch live TV or Tivo over my Slingbox
    - wireless modem for my laptop
    - backup internet connectivity in case home DSL goes down
    - GPS
    - Google Maps
    - Google Traffic
    - alarm clock
    - SMS
    - instand messaging
    - using Skype (over SD wifi card)
    - read a PDF in a pinch

....among others.

Now, the Treo is not the only device with these capabilities, and it is a flawed device (just like any other device has flaws), but what it does it does quite well. What I do know is that your Elph, your iPod, or even the iPhone can't do some of things I've stated above.

Anyway, good luck with your search for the perfect device. Let us know when you find it.
    Last edited by gojeda; 09/10/2007 at 04:07 PM.
    binarydreams

thanx for the read . i wanted to put my 2 cents in because i too am searching for one solution to my multimedia / business needs .

from what i can see ... there is not one single device that handles what i am looking for . perhaps someday one of the major players in the pda/phone game will ask the right group of power users and that product will be developed and produced
    Last edited by captblaze; 09/10/2007 at 09:35 AM. Reason: poor grammar
    Hello all,

....This switch is the 2nd best decision I have ever made. The first was switching from using Windows to using Mac. I now feel that everything has truly come full circle in my tech life.

I'm sorry to hear that this is the second best decision you ever made, considering this is just a phone. Don't mean to burst your bubble, but when you experience your first freezing problem, or stuck or broken trackball (it seems dirt easily affects easily) I hope your still in love with it. (I support the damn things, my company has at last count 15,000 devices in the tri-state area. Don't know the total for the company world wide)
    I just home you don't need to sync with Lotus Notes....AHHH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gojeda View Post

Secondly, I would hope that the iPod does a good job of playing your news and music back because it was specifically designed to do that.

The real question becomes whether you want to get into the business of carrying multiple devices on your persona day in and day out. I know I don't want to, and I am quite content listening to my podcasts on my 700wx.

Again, very easy to disable the phone if you have to. And I never have problems with my gps unit on my 700wx.

Sounds to me like the biggest mistake you've made was buying a PalmOS based Treo.

Again, why are you comparing the capabilities of a purpose built device with that of a device that wears many different hats? Do you know of ANY camera on a phone that takes as good a picture as your Elph?

The Treo camera is not great, but it is functional - and it takes decent pictures if there is abundant light around. And guess what, if I want to take a quick video of something I've seen and send it off to someone - I am going to use my 700wx with EVDO and not a digital camera.

- push email
    - surf the web
    - listen to podcasts
    - record lectures
    - GPS
    - Google Maps
    - Google Traffic
    - alarm clock
    - SMS
    - instand messaging
    - read a PDF in a pinch

....among others.

Now, the Treo is not the only device with these capabilities, and it is a flawed device (just like any other device has flaws), but what it does it does quite well. What I do know is that your Elph, your iPod, or even the iPhone can't do some of things I've stated above.

Anyway, good luck with your search for the perfect device. Let us know when you find it.
    Agreed....now the only thing is when will palm get it right???? Thats the Question????
    I have never gotten into the middle of one of these "whose phone is better" threads - but this one hit so close to home. My 700 w is looking like an old beat up car at this point - scratches, dings, bloated memory etc. and my contract is up next week. My busness partner just turned her 700P (actually her third 700p in two months) in for a BB 8830 and she is happy as a clam. She uses her phone for email, contacts, IM and SMS and calendar and that's it. She is tryng to convince me to switch to a BB instead of the 700WX - telling me how slim and light the BB is compared to my brick of a phone and that it never freezes

But I hate the thought of giving up so much of what I use - Sling, Audible, music, Pocket quicken, google maps, weather, browsing, tethering for DUN etc. I figure I can probbaly do most of these somehow with a BB- but I finally got into a bluetooth stereo headset for listening to my audible books at the gym and the thought of giving that up seems huge - My partner thinks I am crazy though - I keep teling her that the 70WX is a solid phone/PDA/Media player. So I am a little concerned about this update issue - what happened? Am I wrong about the 700WX after all?
    I have never gotten into the middle of one of these "whose phone is better" threads - but this one hit so close to home. My 700 w is looking like an old beat up car at this point - scratches, dings, bloated memory etc. and my contract is up next week. My busness partner just turned her 700P (actually her third 700p in two months) in for a BB 8830 and she is happy as a clam. She uses her phone for email, contacts, IM and SMS and calendar and that's it. She is tryng to convince me to switch to a BB instead of the 700WX - telling me how slim and light the BB is compared to my brick of a phone and that it never freezes

But I hate the thought of giving up so much of what I use - Sling, Audible, music, Pocket quicken, google maps, weather, browsing, tethering for DUN etc. I figure I can probbaly do most of these somehow with a BB- but I finally got into a bluetooth stereo headset for listening to my audible books at the gym and the thought of giving that up seems huge - My partner thinks I am crazy though - I keep teling her that the 70WX is a solid phone/PDA/Media player. So I am a little concerned about this update isue - what happened? Am I wrong about the 700WX after all?
    I can totally agree with the concerns for the 700p, I've had that one for a while; however, my 700wx that I've had for a month is miles ahead of the P. So, while the 700p crashed at least 10 times in the first month, the wx crashed once (1 time, because of me). So it's much more stable. BUT I did buy it after this whole update fiasco, so I can't really complain as much as you can, since it doesn't bother me. All I know is the phone is doing what it does fine, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chavezguy04 View Post
    Agreed....now the only thing is when will palm get it right???? Thats the Question????
    Um, you know, I have a feeling when this happens, that it WON'T be palm doing it. They had time to do this for a while, so I think this will be a new guy (or a collaboration of other companies, maybe MS + BB).
    Quote Originally Posted by katiegm View Post

But I hate the thought of giving up so much of what I use - Sling, Audible, music, Pocket quicken, google maps, weather, browsing, tethering for DUN etc. I figure I can probbaly do most of these somehow with a BB- but I finally got into a bluetooth stereo headset for listening to my audible books at the gym and the thought of giving that up seems huge - My partner thinks I am crazy though - I keep teling her that the 70WX is a solid phone/PDA/Media player. So I am a little concerned about this update isue - what happened? Am I wrong about the 700WX after all?
    As a person who supports a large number of BBs for their company, all I can tell you is BBs are not as care free in an enterprise setup as they are made to seem. I can't speak on an non-enterprise email and sync situation, however it appears that individuals who have a data plan directly from their carrier seem to be happy. I purchased a new phone, I looked hard at the BB 8830, most of my support team has them, however I brought the 700wx, which is not supported by my company because I like the freedom and choices I have on the 700wx. To me, and this is just to me, the BB seems to be a locked down device with few options that I like.
    "I brought the 700wx, which is not supported by my company because I like the freedom and choices I have on the 700wx. To me, and this is just to me, the BB seems to be a locked down device with few options that I like."

THANKS - THAT IS WHAT I WAS THINKING.
    Katie
  17.    #17  
    Hello again all,

I realize that there are going to be many different views about 1 device versus another. That's the beauty of our freedom of choice. Bottom line, after having frustration with half baked Palm devices over the last 2 years the Blackberry has been a breath of fresh air and has given me new perspective on what I realistically need in a business device. The reason for my original post was essentially like a deep sigh of frustration followed by the elation that I now feel having such a simple and elegant device. It has been like a sudden epiphany. I don't want to anyone to see this as bragging but to give you a little background on myself, I'm in the top 10% of all income earners in the U.S. I'm in my thirties and most who know me consider me the most technically literate person they know. Not to downplay anyone else's experience here, I'm sure many of you probably fill the "go to guy" for technology advice too. Outside of working in the "real world" consulting and selling high tech business solutions to other businesses, technology has been my #1 hobby for the last 15 years. I have used just about every mainstream PDA and Phone combo devices ever sold. Plain and simple, I'm a geek. I'm proficient in Windows, Linux and Mac. I still use all three to this day for different tasks. I admit it, its like a fetish. I've spent more time on many weekends with my gadgets and hacking then with my wife and kids. I'm the guy you see at my kids soccer practice fiddling with my PDA and replying to work email while everyone else is cheering. I truly and deeply regret having my priorities so screwed up sometimes. So to answer the criticism about getting a Mac and Blackberry being two of the best decisions I've ever made, I still feel that way (although I originally was just referring to tech purchase decisions, not necessarily life decisions). After all of these years I'm learning that there can be a balance between having the freedom to spend hours hacking and customizing into the wee hours and getting real work done. Its all about simplicity, efficiency and balance. Now that I mainly use a Mac and my Blackberry I truly have more time to just get things done. I have found that I can accomplish my work tasks in a fraction of the time, leaving me with more leisure time to use as I please. If I want to spend some of my extra time playing with gadgets I can. Lately I've been choosing to do other things instead. I'm kind of in tech Nirvana I guess. Anyone remember the original "Zen of Palm?" I feel like its back, only this time its not Palm anymore. I just want efficiency and balance in everything. I'm sure some of you will eventually feel the same. Anyway, I know where many of you are coming from, because I was there. I wanted everything crammed into 1 device. Every time a new device hit the market I had hopes that it would be "The One." And like any good tech geek with a fat wallet, I ran out and bought the latest and greatest hardware only to be disappointed again and again. Unfortunately there is still no perfect device on the market, period. For now, and for me at least, I feel like I've found the right balance. It just seems like I've been on the quest for the perfect device for so long that I felt compelled to share my thoughts with everyone else who may feel the same as I did. I guess its almost like closure.

Man, isn't it weird that we can all be so passionate about our damn PDA's/Phones? Personal technology truly has had an amazing impact over the last 10 years or so. Its really almost sick to be truthful. Remember when we all carried pagers and had to use phone booths? How did we do it back then?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that this is the second best decision you ever made, considering this is just a phone.
    I hear you SinSin. I didn't really mean that it was the 2nd best decision I've ever made in life. I meant that it was the 2nd best decision I have ever made with reference to personal technology purchases.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gojeda View Post

- push email
    - surf the web
    - listen to podcasts
    - record lectures
    - GPS
    - Google Maps
    - Google Traffic
    - alarm clock
    - SMS
    - instand messaging
    - read a PDF in a pinch

....among others.

Hi Gojeda,

I don't know what you do for a living but disabling my phone to listen to music or use GPS navigation would be like disabling my business. I can't afford to miss phone calls. Not that the GPS really matters because its built into my car anyway. I was just trying to illustrate why it isn't always good to have everything crammed into a single device. Now, I do understand that there are people who do not need to remain constantly "connected" therefore for those individuals I suppose they can disable their phone whenever they want.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by katiegm View Post

Hi Katie,

I know how you feel about being so invested in your platform and the software. Really, many of the functions that you are looking for can be had on the Blackberry. It all boils down to choice and how much you value the stability of your phone. I really can't afford to have my phone lock up when I am trying to make or receive a phone call. Most of my time is spent in my car and it is dangerous to have to pull out the stylus and reset my phone while driving. If I worked in the office more maybe this wouldn't be such an issue. Then there's the occasional and random need to re-pair my bluetooth headset frequently on the Treo, which can also be a driving hazzard. This doesn't happen with the Blackberry.

If I wanted to listen to audio books at the gym (I am an avid audio book listener), I would just get an IPOD shuffle for $70. 1) I would rather not risk damaging my expensive phone during and exercise routine, and 2) working out is one of the few times I really would rather not have my phone with me. I consider that to be my personal time. Setting aside personal time these days almost requires conscious thought. Putting the phone away for an hour or two during a work out can be a subconscious way of turning off work and relaxing. Just my $0.02.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast