Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. gojeda's Avatar
    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    #21  
    Hmm, first you say disabling your phone would be like disabling your business. Then you say you don't want your phone with you at the gym because it is personal time? Something doesn't jive here.

    Of course, there are these realities....

    1. The iPod Shuttle is cheaper at $70, but many deem it useless as it has no display. The sales numbers show that the shuffle is, by far, the weakest iPod in the model line. The Nano is significantly more expensive than the $70 price point mentioned above and even though it is tiny, it is still one more device you need to keep track of.

    2. Anything iPod is a theft magnet....more than a Treo.

    3. If your business depends on a phone call coming through (as you've admitted above), you'll have better luck getting that phone call on a Treo (or a Blackberry) than an iPod Shuffle during your gym workout.

    Again, the tradeoff you seem to be making is not so much because the Treo is "half baked", but instead you are intent on ditching one multifunction device for multiple single function, but more capable, devices.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by binarydreams View Post
    Hi Katie,

    I know how you feel about being so invested in your platform and the software. Really, many of the functions that you are looking for can be had on the Blackberry. It all boils down to choice and how much you value the stability of your phone. I really can't afford to have my phone lock up when I am trying to make or receive a phone call. Most of my time is spent in my car and it is dangerous to have to pull out the stylus and reset my phone while driving. If I worked in the office more maybe this wouldn't be such an issue. Then there's the occasional and random need to re-pair my bluetooth headset frequently on the Treo, which can also be a driving hazzard. This doesn't happen with the Blackberry.

    If I wanted to listen to audio books at the gym (I am an avid audio book listener), I would just get an IPOD shuffle for $70. 1) I would rather not risk damaging my expensive phone during and exercise routine, and 2) working out is one of the few times I really would rather not have my phone with me. I consider that to be my personal time. Setting aside personal time these days almost requires conscious thought. Putting the phone away for an hour or two during a work out can be a subconscious way of turning off work and relaxing. Just my $0.02.
    Turn the phone off and you wont be bothered. Buy a holster or pouch and your phone will be fine, unless your workout is swimming of course. bottom line, i know you are enamored with the BB, but its limmited. And if your bio is accurate, you will be bored with it in a month, IMO.

    Also, the Q9H on At&t looks like the next best device.
    Last edited by nyc_rock; 09/12/2007 at 07:35 AM.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    Also, the Q9H on At&t looks like the next best device.
    the only problem being At&t is by far a lousy provider of data service (just ask anyone who owns an i-phone)
    Last edited by captblaze; 09/12/2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: poor spelling
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by captblaze View Post
    the only problem being At&t is by far a lousy provider of data service (just ask anyone who owns an i-phone)
    And the lack of touchscreen?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith P View Post
    And the lack of touchscreen?
    Ive used smartphones and to tell you the truth, the lack of touchscreen is really not a big deal. Unless you are married to it because of some specific app you must use.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by captblaze View Post
    the only problem being At&t is by far a lousy provider of data service (just ask anyone who owns an i-phone)
    Agreed. Which is why I wont be getting it. but the specs look downright fantastic. Ive used the new VZ Q9M and all it needed was more memory which the Q9H has.
  7. #27  
    i would hope that someday this will all be moot because enough people will be burned supporting not ready for the real world devices . its a shame how there are millions of people willing to settle for inadequate products just to say they were the first to have it .

    one can only hope that someone in the mobile phone / pda industry will build a device that not only will be adequate , but will surpass even the most greedy of power users expectations (that and a big fat wireless pipe to the internet!!!)
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by captblaze View Post
    i would hope that someday this will all be moot because enough people will be burned supporting not ready for the real world devices . its a shame how there are millions of people willing to settle for inadequate products just to say they were the first to have it .

    one can only hope that someone in the mobile phone / pda industry will build a device that not only will be adequate , but will surpass even the most greedy of power users expectations (that and a big fat wireless pipe to the internet!!!)
    What we are seeing is a converagence of coolness and technology and the advances are coming at a very fast clip. I think that perfect device is a long way off. As far as not ready for real world, I dont agree with that at all. All the devices being released are ready for real world, just not the world of each individual who has specific expectations and needs.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    As far as not ready for real world, I dont agree with that at all. All the devices being released are ready for real world, just not the world of each individual who has specific expectations and needs.
    all you have to do is read the forum pages of device manufacturers to know that a significant amount of devices today were released before they were ready for the real world ...

    that is why an all in one device that allows you to hold a clear conversation , browse at broadband speed , play and record audio and video , have a comprehensive suite of office apps , email without hassle , send sms and mms messages , play an occasional game and be customizable to the users liking is needed (i may have missed a feature or two... feel free to add).

    the real world is now ... not years down the road and if people truly want an all in one device they need to send a message to the industry that the time is now
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by captblaze View Post
    all you have to do is read the forum pages of device manufacturers to know that a significant amount of devices today were released before they were ready for the real world ...

    that is why an all in one device that allows you to hold a clear conversation , browse at broadband speed , play and record audio and video , have a comprehensive suite of office apps , email without hassle , send sms and mms messages , play an occasional game and be customizable to the users liking is needed (i may have missed a feature or two... feel free to add).

    the real world is now ... not years down the road and if people truly want an all in one device they need to send a message to the industry that the time is now
    I would say my 700wx does all of that and fairly hassle free. Now, if it could just be half as think I would be really happy.........at least for the next couple of months.
  11. #31  
    Katie,
    If your contract is up soon, I would maybe hold off on a 700wx. The reason I say this is the VZW6800 and the Samsung SCH-i760 should be released for Verizon within the next month.

    I do like my 700wx, but it has been around for a while and these two new devices are WM6. Check them all out before you plunk down for a 2 year contract for a phone that is hella old already.

    I will say that I am testing a demo vzw6800 rignt now. (Side slide keyboard like the 760) and I do miss the ease of the Palm keyboard right there for me to start typing a contact to call. The 760 has a front keypad so that may help.

    Evaluate all options before you decide.
  12. tarzanboy's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #32  
    I agree. Palm sucks big time. I've had it with my 700w. Bluetooth is a joke. I am switching to BB as soon as I can afford one and will never look back.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by gojeda View Post
    Hmm, first you say disabling your phone would be like disabling your business. Then you say you don't want your phone with you at the gym because it is personal time? Something doesn't jive here.
    I would agree with you that this could seem contradictory if I was actually conducting business at 7:00 pm, when I would normally participate in activities like going to the gym. Most people with real jobs and running businesses aren't at the gym during the day unless it is early in the morning or perhaps during lunch hour. My phone would never be turned off during normal business hours 7:30 am - 7:00 pm. If anyone calls in after 7:00 pm they don't normally expect a call back until the next business day.

    What I am saying is that disabling my phone during the daylight "work" hours, when phone calls are rapidly coming in and I am calling out does not make sense at all. The only reason I would want to use the a function like GPS would be to navigate to a client location. My car is my office on wheels and I need to be able to use my phone for calls while in it. Using GPS, or music playback on my phone would interrupt this ability. However, I can easily have my ipod playing quietly in the background while talking on the phone without interrupting my phone calls or my music playback.
  14.    #34  
    Hey all,

    Just a quick update. I started this post back around November and guess what? I still love my BB 8830. It is the most beautiful PDA/Cell I have ever used. Bye, Bye Zen of Palm. Hello Zen of BB. The Blackberry has reached maturity for the masses! Long live Blackberry!!!
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by binarydreams View Post
    Hey all,

    Just a quick update. I started this post back around November and guess what? I still love my BB 8830. It is the most beautiful PDA/Cell I have ever used. Bye, Bye Zen of Palm. Hello Zen of BB. The Blackberry has reached maturity for the masses! Long live Blackberry!!!
    Good to see you're happy. I thought, for a fleeting moment, about turning to BB. But I can't do without my WM apps. I'm dumping the Treo for a Tilt on AT&T. Sure, it's a slider, but my thumbs will appreciate it, AND it's a ton more hackable than any Treo ever will be. It also has GPS, Wifi, & BT 2.0. Some custom ROMs out there give it Touch capabilities. No reports of BT issues like Treos have.

    I'm sure Palm will eventually get it right, but I'm too impatient to live with an inferior product while I wait for that day.
  16. #36  
    Just a quick update. I started this post back around November and guess what? I still love my BB 8830. It is the most beautiful PDA/Cell I have ever used. Bye, Bye Zen of Palm. Hello Zen of BB. The Blackberry has reached maturity for the masses! Long live Blackberry!!!
    You actually started this on 9/9, so it's been even longer. I still love my 700wx. Does not seem buggiest in the least either.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by binarydreams View Post
    Hey all,

    Just a quick update. I started this post back around November and guess what? I still love my BB 8830. It is the most beautiful PDA/Cell I have ever used. Bye, Bye Zen of Palm. Hello Zen of BB. The Blackberry has reached maturity for the masses! Long live Blackberry!!!
    Here's the thing: if you're fine with a BB, you never really needed a Palm/PDA/PPC in the first place. You overestimated your needs and are now correcting for it. That's really the only lesson here.

    And until BB can offer straight internet and regular email without propriety addon plans, it will never be "for the masses".

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  18. #38  
    OP wants to validate he has made the right decision else he would not really care what the rest of TC community uses.

    Mal, I thought BB gives you full internet access?
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Mal, I thought BB gives you full internet access?
    Oh it does--what I mean is you need to go through BB servers (BIS) to get to it. Everything on BB is dependent on going through their servers, therefore extra $$ to do the same thing on POS or WM (unless someone can clarify?).

    I just find the "BB world" difficult to understand for the average cell user and even low to mid level smartphone users. If your company supports it, it's a great tool but not really something ready for mainstream, imo.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  20. #40  
    I'll have the best of both worlds,,,BB Connect for email and WM6 with MSO7.0 and a whole host of other cool stuff.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions