Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1.    #1  
    In trying to improve my "Locating..." latency in IE, I configured my connection to point to an OpenDNS server ( in this case, the one in San Francisco, CA (64.151.103.120) with the Longmont, CO server as the alternate (216.87.84.209).

    I can't get any lookup responses from either server. Tried connecting to them via my PC and the 'nslookup' command, and can't get any address resolution lookups to work that way either -- they just time out.

    Anyone have any insight? Is there something special I need to do to use these servers? Does Cingular filter packets and block access to them, forcing you to use their sluggish DNS servers?

    Help!
  2.    #2  
    I tried all the US-based servers from my PC, and the one in AZ is the only one that works. All the other time out. So, I got this to work (and with the AZ OpenNIC DSN server, initial lookups and then page loads seem a little faster).

    Anyone successfully get the SF, LA, or CO servers to work/respond? Or are these defunct?

    Here are all the Tier 2 servers that OpenNIC lists:

    ns1.de.opennic.glue (Cologne, DE) - 217.115.138.24
    ns1.jp.opennic.glue (Tokyo, JP) - 219.127.89.34
    ns2.jp.opennic.glue (Tokyo, JP) - 219.127.89.37
    ns1.nz.opennic.glue (Auckland, NZ) - 202.89.131.4
    ns1.uk.opennic.glue (London, UK) - 194.164.6.112
    ns1.phx.us.opennic.glue (Phoenix, AZ, US) - 63.226.12.96
    ns1.sfo.us.opennic.glue (San Francisco, CA, US) - 64.151.103.120
    ns1.co.us.opennic.glue (Longmont, CO, US) - 216.87.84.209
    ns1.ca.us.opennic.glue (Los Angeles, CA, US) - 67.102.133.222
  3.    #3  
    This is a one-man thread

    Looks like this worked spectacularly. Testing speed @ http://dslreports.com/mobile My latency is now consistently a second or less, where before it was often as much as 10-20 seconds ( cingular and their crappy DNS infrastructure support in their network).

    My throughput seems to be a bit higher too (I'm getting ~150kbps in an EDGE locale) which is pretty good. This is compared to variable measurements of between 50-140 before the change.

    This technically can't represent an actual throughput increase, but rather a more accurate speed test, because latency issues are not messing with the test as much.

    Anyway, this is a good "hack" (not really, just a config change) everyone should use. If anyone gets another OpenNIC server to work, please post -- I'd like to have an Alternate configured to fall back on if the AZ server quits.
  4. #4  
    Yes, I'm an *****. But I'd love to improve my internet response time.

Posting Permissions