1.    #1  
    Much to my dismay I figured out my 700wx does not have integrated wifi, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to add it. I apologize if I missed a thread on this already. My search didn't yield one.

The ideas I have are:
    1. wifi SD card (con: have to switch between the wifi SD and storage SD)

2. wifi SD card w/256 memory (pro: built in memory, con: but not much, and it is a huge card, sticking out quite a bit)

3. mini SD wifi card (pro: the adapter can stay in all the time, and I can just buy a mini storage card, con: I'm still switching out storage for connectivity)

4. separate USB wifi device (pro: I can keep my storage card in full time, con: I have to carry around a separate USB device that is larger than a card. pro: the USB device is cheaper and it will offer additional USB options. Potential con: another adapter to purchase to connect my Treo to the USB device)

Seeking the expertise of the list -- it sounds like everyone generally uses a wifi card, but there have been a lot of compatibility issues as well.

Thanks in advance!

Sammy
    Your only option is 1 and 4 really, as a USB dongle wont work (due to the 700wx not having USB host) and WIFI/memory cards dont work under WM5. I suggest option 1, as both the memory card and WIFI card will be more robust and less easy to lose.

Surur
    option 1 is how i deal with it ... i dont use wifi that often , and dont have any critical apps installed on my storage card .
    I suggest if you require wifi, another phone would be a better option. I do what captblaze does, I install virtually nothing on my SD card so that in case I require the SD card, I can use it... which I carry in my wallet.

The problem with the SD Wifi card is that every time you need it, you must soft reset, else you get an out of memory error. And this is with the Palm branded card that doesn't require any drivers. Luckily, I don't need it too often but when I go out of the country, I absolutely hate having to reboot whenever I want to do a simple check email.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Your only option is 1 and 4 really, as a USB dongle wont work (due to the 700wx not having USB host) and WIFI/memory cards dont work under WM5. I suggest option 1, as both the memory card and WIFI card will be more robust and less easy to lose.

Surur
    Did you mean #1 and #3? I knew there was not a USB port directly on the Treo, but I thought I read that you could purchase an adapter of some kind that connected to the Treo, allowing you to plug USB items into the adapter. There was not a pic of the adapter. I was assuming that it utilized the connector that the sync cable does.

I guess such an animal does not exist. Shame- it would be nice if it did.

I guess I will just look for a plain card. Thank you for the advice!

Sammy
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    I suggest if you require wifi, another phone would be a better option. I do what captblaze does, I install virtually nothing on my SD card so that in case I require the SD card, I can use it... which I carry in my wallet.

The problem with the SD Wifi card is that every time you need it, you must soft reset, else you get an out of memory error. And this is with the Palm branded card that doesn't require any drivers. Luckily, I don't need it too often but when I go out of the country, I absolutely hate having to reboot whenever I want to do a simple check email.
    I had mentioned this on another thread, but I thought I read on another message board Palm OS - they did not discuss Treo w/wx). But it said that the Palm wifi card was not compatible with the 700 w/wx models, only models running PalmOS. But then I read on another site that the 700p has absolutely no wifi capabilities whatsoever. Since I have no personal experience with either of the above, I can only repeat what I had read. But if the first is true, perhaps the w/wx has some kind of issue with the OS (palm vs windows).

If the Palm cards (with the built in drivers) have these persistent problems (re: having to soft reset upon card insertion) - what about some of the other brand cards that provide the drivers on a CD? Do they have the same problems?

Second, if the Palm card problem does not work even after sending new phones (I read that Verizon was sending replacement phones, I guess assuming it was a hardware problem) -- I wonder if Verizon would allow a change to either the 700p or a different model all together?

Sammy
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRock View Post
    Much to my dismay I figured out my 700wx does not have integrated wifi, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to add it. I apologize if I missed a thread on this already. My search didn't yield one.
    Firstly, reading the specs or any review of the 700wx would have revealed it does not have wifi.

That said, is it that you don't get good EVDO in your area(s) that you need wifi? I find the EVDO speeds I get to be wholly adequate and from what I've read, when using these wifi adapters is a battery buster.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Firstly, reading the specs or any review of the 700wx would have revealed it does not have wifi.

That said, is it that you don't get good EVDO in your area(s) that you need wifi? I find the EVDO speeds I get to be wholly adequate and from what I've read, when using these wifi adapters is a battery buster.
    Obviously I did not do enough homework before purchasing (pretty clear). Obviously, the reviews would have been very helpful, and the specs were not so much. If you don't know that not all PDA/Smartphones don't have wifi built in, then reading specs aren't very helpful at letting you know that it doesn't have it. Its not like the specs tell you what they "don't" have. Then there are also the sales people to help (or not) confuse you.

When I listened to the guy at Verizon telling me about the 700wx and he said that it had Bluetooth, Infared, wireless sync and could be used as a tethered modem I thought that meant it could connect to my wireless internet at home. In my mind, in order for it to connect to my computer to sync wirelessly, it needed to connect to my wireless internet, so, I didn't think to ask any further. I still don't know what they mean by "wireless sync" (I can go read it, I know) but obviously it is something that my computer & phone won't do together without buying something else anyway -- so I'm stuck buying something additional either way.

I don't use EVDO because I don't have it on my phone. Well, it's technically available, I'm just not on an unlimited plan, so there is no way I can afford to use it. Hence, why I want wifi. Not to mention, there are times that EVDO doesn't always have a good signal, or the wifi has a better one. Who really cares why I want to? Just that I need to, and I asked for suggestions?

I originally started with the 700p (I prefer the PalmOS), but changed after a week to the wx. No one at Verizon told me that the SDIO slot will not function as an IO slot. Pretty useless to have if it doesn't work. I had been regretting my decision, changing to a 700wx, but when I read that, I was glad that I had changed over. So, reading the "specs" doesn't tell you everything. I only found out that information by reading Treo lists like this one.

Please, try not to be so condescending. I'm here for help, not opinions about what I shoulda/woulda/coulda done. Its about what to do now to get wifi - not EVDO. I know Verizon will gladly provide me with EVDO -- for a price.

Sammy
    Sorry, yes, I mean 1 and 3.

Surur
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    The problem with the SD Wifi card is that every time you need it, you must soft reset, else you get an out of memory error.
    I do not have this problem with my generic SD wifi card that was suggested on this forum a couple of months back.
    Quote Originally Posted by gojeda View Post
    I do not have this problem with my generic SD wifi card that was suggested on this forum a couple of months back.
    Was it this card from this thread?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=140132&page=4

I may consider getting it if the out of memory error doesn't come up

Edit: according to this thread, this card behaves the same way..
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRock View Post
    I don't use EVDO because I don't have it on my phone. Well, it's technically available, I'm just not on an unlimited plan, so there is no way I can afford to use it. Hence, why I want wifi. Not to mention, there are times that EVDO doesn't always have a good signal, or the wifi has a better one. Who really cares why I want to? Just that I need to, and I asked for suggestions?
    Ah, well there's your problem. If you are on Sprint the unlimited data is the cheapest you can get and makes the Treo much more useful than using only wifi.

Perhaps you should try and return or exchange the Treo to whomever you bought it and get what you want if you're close enough to your original purchase date.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Was it this card from this thread?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=140132&page=4

I may consider getting it if the out of memory error doesn't come up

Edit: according to this thread, this card behaves the same way..
    Yes.

I think since I have bought the card about 4 or 5 months ago, I have seen the aforementioned error, perhaps, 3 times. And I use my SD wifi card several times a week at home.