Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A new J2ME tool has come around that maximizes our screen's real estate on Java apps such as Opera Mini. Check it out:

Jbed: Running Java in Full Screen

I mean full screen, as opposed to the old java with the top & bottom bars being present:

IBM J2ME Midlet Software version 6.1.1

I heard over about it at this thread in the PPC-6800 forums at PDAPhonehome. Check out the link, it's very detailed and it gives you the more info about creating links directly to java apps. Very well done by user TalynONe!

Setup In brief:
    1. Get the java CAB, put together by XDA's Cloudyfa, here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=24
    (Must be Registered at XDA-Developers to download it)

2. Navigate in PIE to http://mini.opera.com and get the for the download link, follow the installation procedure.

3. Start Menu Shortcut: Optional (Recommended) Copy lnk file from this zip into your device's \Windows\Start Menu\Programs directory.

4. Remove Connection Popup: Optional (Recommended) Follow the instructions in this post.

Tips:
    • Add Google to the Search!! Click On the Search field, and then hit the 'Manage' softkey, hit "Add". Go Straight to the 'Address' field and type: "www.google.com/search?q=%s" (no quotes) and then select 'Fetch title and icon'. Then Save it.
    • Bookmarks not on Start Page? This is by design. Go into Bookmarks, and open Speed Dials, go into each and select 'Copy from Bookmarks'. Speed dials show up in the start page.
    • Use My Computer to Type in Favorites? YES Arguably the best new feature is the free online syncing of bookmarks. Get yourself an account at http://link.opera.com/ and do it now! I don't know how many times I've had to retype all my bookmarks upon reinstalling this app.
    • In Opera: Tools-Settings-> Check 'Higher Quality Images'
    • Mobile View is Awesome, Very simple to navigate. Left and Right to Page Up and Down, respectively. Up & Down to traverse links. Switch Off/On Mobile View at any time with your keyboard's 1 number key.
    • Keyboard numbers 2, 8, 4, 6 for panning Up, Down, Left and Right, respectively.
    • Keyboard number 5 for zoom in and zoom out.
    • Keyboard * to go full screen (like the third image on top pic)

PS: Yes, the softkeys work fine!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by g-funkster; 11/08/2007 at 05:20 PM.
    is it one step lauch or do you have to lauch a midi type app first and then opera like with the first version of google maps
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
  3.    #3  
    The pdaphonehome link shows you how to do a one-click launch, but basically, just make a shortcut that looks like this (assuming it's the first and only midlet you've installed):

Code:
    199#"\windows\jbed.exe" -run s0_
    and save it under \windows\start menu\programs as "Opera Mini.lnk"

Edit: [Updated as per Mal]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by g-funkster; 09/27/2007 at 07:02 PM.
    Huh. Kinda cool, I have to admit.

No problems either, though the air-time notifications are kinda annoying.

For my shortcut, it actually looks like this:

Code:
    "\windows\jbed.exe" -run s0_
    I also threw on "fit to width" and small fonts. The zoom is nice. Thanks for passing this on g-funk

(no hack yet for the Security Certificate like the old java app, eh?)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    (no hack yet for the Security Certificate like the old java app, eh?)
    no , but I have a feeling the answer lies in the \Windows\appdb\policy.utf file, if anyone's interested in messing around with it.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I love Opera Mini and use it all the time. I find that to get to the full screen, the shortcut is * * - you have to press the asterisk twice.
    Omnigo 100 -> Palm III -> Cassiopeia -> Visor -> Jornada -> Palm m100 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Moto Q -> Treo 650 - > BB Curve
  7.    #7  
    Yep, well it used to be, but on Beta 2 it only requires one *. At least that's what I've seen with this java version. Also, Beta 2 remembers your full-screen setting which is nice, not having to reset it every time you launch. However, now that it actually works full screen, I keep Opera's (comparatively tiny) top & bottom bars.
    This is SWEEEET! Finally a browser I can access my banking on, couldn't do it on PIE, NetFront or Opera Mobile but I can on Mini... go figure! Thanks guys!
  9.    #9  
    Ding!

go to \Windows\Appdb\ and open selector.utf

Under the "suite=Opera..", you'll find a few lines. Change one:

Code:
    domain=untrusted, \
    to
    Code:
    domain=tckmax, \
    and no more permissions! At least I'm not getting them anymore.. can anyone verify?

Edit: Because Text Editors cannot be trusted, here's an automatic method of doing this for all your java apps:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...66#post1343066
    Last edited by g-funkster; 09/08/2007 at 08:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    Ding!

go to \Windows\Appdb\ and open selector.utf

Under the "suite=Opera..", you'll find a few lines. Change one:

Code:
    domain=untrusted, \
    to
    Code:
    domain=tckmax, \
    and no more permissions! At least I'm not getting them anymore.. can anyone verify?
    How to open the file? If I use Mobile Word and make the change and save, I error out...even if I revert back, which tells me Word is changing the format of the UTF formatting (which makes sense)...

Care to post your file?

11.    #11  
    i used wordpad (XP, lol how fancy am I?) to open it and edit it on the computer, but Pocket Notepad on the Treo also works.

Let me know if a text editor worked for you

Edit: You may be getting an error because as shipped, the file is read-only.

Edit2: Modified the file by removing TV2Nite entry and changing s2 to s0 as if to simulate a fresh install.
    Last edited by g-funkster; 09/06/2007 at 09:04 PM.
    Okay...something is definitely up with the way Word Mobile and Pocket Notepad save the file...OR there is something different about my file (the read-only wasn't an issue).

Your file of course breaks my s0 config, but I was able to change that (s2_ --> s0_) and get it all to work.

Very strange, but yes, it works!

Edit: My selector.utf file looked very different:

Code:
    Wnextroot=1
    suite=Opera Mini 4 beta, \
    	icon=/i.png, \
    	vendor=Opera Software ASA, \
    	root=s0_, \
    	num=1, \
    	preinstalled=N, \
    	domain=untrusted, \
    	removable=Y, \
    	install_time=1189129028022, \
    	drmProtected=N, \
    	drmRenewable=N
    midlet=Opera Mini 4 beta, \
    	icon=/i.png, \
    	class=Browser
    vs yours (ignoring TV2nite of course)
    Code:
    Wnextroot=4
    	icon=/i.png, \
    	root=s2_, \
    	num=1, \
    	preinstalled=N, \
    	domain=tckmax, \
    	removable=Y, \
    	permissions=AADDDDDDDDDDDDDADDDDDDD, \
    	fg_permissions=DADDDDD, \
    	install_time=1189036024272, \
    	drmProtected=N, \
    	drmRenewable=N
    	icon=/i.png, \
    	class=Browser
    Last edited by Malatesta; 09/06/2007 at 08:57 PM.

13.    #13  
    great, updated the first post. Thanks!

Edit: maybe the other differences played a part too. weird!
    Last edited by g-funkster; 09/06/2007 at 10:30 PM.
    This is sweet g-funk! Both the java and the browser.

I've tried to install the Gmail java app using this JVM but I get:
    "Sorry, Gmail not work on your phone. Your phone doesn't have the appropriate certificate to communicate with the server...."

Anyone know a way around this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Okay...something is definitely up with the way Word Mobile and Pocket Notepad save the file...OR there is something different about my file (the read-only wasn't an issue).

Your file of course breaks my s0 config, but I was able to change that (s2_ --> s0_) and get it all to work.

Very strange, but yes, it works!

Edit: My selector.utf file looked very different:

Code:
    Wnextroot=1
    	icon=/i.png, \
    	root=s0_, \
    	num=1, \
    	preinstalled=N, \
    	domain=untrusted, \
    	removable=Y, \
    	install_time=1189129028022, \
    	drmProtected=N, \
    	drmRenewable=N
    	icon=/i.png, \
    	class=Browser
    vs yours (ignoring TV2nite of course)
    Code:
    Wnextroot=4
    	icon=/i.png, \
    	root=s2_, \
    	num=1, \
    	preinstalled=N, \
    	domain=tckmax, \
    	removable=Y, \
    	permissions=AADDDDDDDDDDDDDADDDDDDD, \
    	fg_permissions=DADDDDD, \
    	install_time=1189036024272, \
    	drmProtected=N, \
    	drmRenewable=N
    	icon=/i.png, \
    	class=Browser
    When I tried changing the domain on mine I would get an error when I tried to launch it... Not sure whats going on with that.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitchblack98 View Post
    When I tried changing the domain on mine I would get an error when I tried to launch it... Not sure whats going on with that.
    I installed Opera Mini 3.1 and tried the domain change but afterwards I get an error when launching it also, though my beta 4 still works fine
    Tried tckmax with Opera Mini 4 beta 2 and it isn't working. Loads the JVM, then shows a blue hand waving and freezes. Where the heck did "tckmax" come from anyway?
  18.    #18  
    I have a verification of a working way to do this. It will automatically alter all untrusted entries. Requires a PC though, sorry!

Instructions:
    1. Copy selector.utf from \Windows\Appdb to a folder, the same folder where Fix.exe is (Fix.exe is inside the attached Fix.zip) on your computer.
    2. Run Fix.exe, it will create a new selector.utf and a backup of the original, selector.bak.utf.
    3. Copy the new selector.utf and overwrite the original on the PPC.

I've included the source to this code also, it's Perl code repackaged into an exe. It's basically a 'Hex Editor' that makes the changes automatically. 'tckmax' comes from the policy.utf file, where it appears it is designated as a domain where 'everything goes'.

To make this manually with a Hex editor, just change "untrusted" to "tckmax " with 3 trailing spaces.
    Last edited by g-funkster; 10/08/2007 at 12:53 PM.
    Every time i point my PIE to http://mini.opera.com/beta, i never see the high memory option. Also, it only gives me te option to get the .jad. I obviously can't use that. Can someone post the cab?
  20.    #20  
    It's the jad you're looking for.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast