Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Palm has been doing a lot of strategic leaking these days...

Surur
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    The "leak" on Gizmodo is from back in June...
    Here's that leaked picture from long time ago enlarged and perspective corrected. It looks a lot like the Centro, and the keyboard is similar. I hope its not as small...

Surur
    wow, sweet. i hope it actually does make it out.
    Those specs again...

Our Sprint source gave us a great tip on the upcoming Treo 800w that's coming Q4 2007. (That's not a picture of it on the left.)

Lots and lots of improvements for Sprint users over what they can get right now with the 700wx, including EV-DO REV A., Windows Mobile 6, a 320x320 display (now supported on WM6), 256MB flash, 128MB RAM, a 1.3-megapixel camera, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, and an expansion slot.

The big ones are of course Windows Mobile 6, the increased speed of EV-DO Rev. A, Wi-Fi, and that larger screen resolution. The 320x320 resolution is square, yes, but nothing that Treo fans haven't gotten used to already. Plus, it's the first phone announced to support the 320x320 resolution that WM6 offers.

Sprint's aiming at a Q4 2007 release, but we'll see whether the phone's pushed up or back in the coming months. – Jason Chen
    The only let down is the low res camera.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Those specs again...

The only let down is the low res camera.

Surur
    Yup. Then again, this info is quite old, so I suspect lots of things are changing at Palm. I'm actually OK with 1.3mp if...if..they actually put in a decent lens! All of these camera phones are junk mostly because of the lens and poor companion chips. The kaiser is the 1st really nice WM camera, imo.

Also: GPS is BS

Sprint is devious with this. Even the Mogul has "GPS"...oh I mean aGPS with no API to access it. This will be the same with the 800w. Sprint is rumored to be finally working on an API for it so they can sell you their TeleNav monthly service, but it won't be open to other programs (at least hacking is then an option). The 6800 is supposed to get this upgrade too with their RevA update in October/Nov. I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but I doubt it!

Of interest: Just checking Sprint's site and noticed the 700wx dropped (finally) to $199 w/contract (before, it was even more than the Mogul).

Might be a sign they are starting to clear stock, which can take a couple of months...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  7. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    I cant wait for the 800w release!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm actually OK with 1.3mp if...if..they actually put in a decent lens!
    I will love to have a Treo without a camara.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    I will love to have a Treo without a camara.
    They used to offer the 650 and the ppc-6600 with and w/o camera, though the latter was only offered via phone sales I believe. I'm surprised that's not an option for the 700wx or the 800w...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The camera is useful sometimes (though rarely) but the reason why I never use a phone's camera is because of its lack of quality.

Those specs do look sexy. I just hope they later the design of the Treo a little bit.
    The only reason they offer any phone anymore without a camera is for corporate users (often secret govt. contracts) to be able to use their phone at work. Most of these security areas prohibit cameras. Also, many other workplaces prohibit cameras for proprietary information reasons. Palm just doesn't want to lose that business.

-Frank
    How about a flash for the dang 1.3 MP camera at least??
    All I want is the ability to handle voice and data at the same time. Not sure if Rev A does that.
    The specs look pretty nice to me. I agree that the lack of improved resolution in the camera is a disappointment. Hopefully the unit will have Bluetooth 2.0 to take advantage of higher tethering speeds.
    Any new Treo needs to have a decent phone radio with great reception, much better BT than previous Treos, tons more memory, rock solid stability. Is this too much to ask for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankxs View Post
    The only reason they offer any phone anymore without a camera is for corporate users (often secret govt. contracts) to be able to use their phone at work. Most of these security areas prohibit cameras. Also, many other workplaces prohibit cameras for proprietary information reasons. Palm just doesn't want to lose that business.
    Government spaces that are certified for open storage of classified material (vaults, SCIFs, etc...) prohibit not just cameras, but cell phones & PDAs. That eliminates a Treo from ever being brought in there, camera or not.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    To be honest the camera is not something I really use on my Treo. Quality is just too bad. I'm just hoping that the Treo 800 has a higer res screen, BT 2.0 and WM6. That will do for me. Wifi would be great also but not a show stopper for me.

I'm in no major rush though, the 700wx is working just fine for me
    Quote Originally Posted by davetati View Post
    I'm in no major rush though, the 700wx is working just fine for me
    Agreed.

But it would be nice if Palm released a ROM update to WM6.0 for the WX.
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    BT 2.0 and 320 x 320 a must, WM6 I guess this is a must too to get 320 x 320, One thing that I would really like that I heard once or twice mentioned was CDMA / GSM combo. That would be great. Wifi nice to have. In two years I have never needed it in the states, but for travel I could see it being a real plus. On my next trip to Europe will be the real test for Wifi. Camera one again nice to have, never know when you will need it. Definitely needs improvement!! Next to impossible to get a clear picture, not blury almost need a tripod. I can live with the current form just please make it thinner. Better battery life. I know thats not going to happen. Just part of the territory. (maybe better battery technology will come along. There is some wishful thinking)

As Davetati said my WX is working just fine. I got that as a replacement when my W bricked on the ROM update. Night and day between the two. I don't know how my wife can still stand to use her W. She has to see the difference when she uses mine????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast