1.    #1  
    I'm about to do my upgrade and have been pretty happy with my 650 palm based verizon phone. My question is this- are there any real advantages to making the switch to the windows based vs the palm based? Anything I'll be able to do now or do better because of the windows platform?
    Depends on your situation really. What are you wanting to do (or currently do) with your Treo?
    Treo Lineage: 600 -> 650p -> 700p -> 755p -> 700wx
    Currently Using: 700wx | 800w | Moto Q9c | Mogul

Exchange 2003 ActiveSync WM5.0: 2068 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.0: 50 Users
    Exchange 2007 ActiveSync WM6.1: 2 Users
    Quote Originally Posted by lcarbrey View Post
    I'm about to do my upgrade and have been pretty happy with my 650 palm based verizon phone. My question is this- are there any real advantages to making the switch to the windows based vs the palm based? Anything I'll be able to do now or do better because of the windows platform?
    You'll be able to sync your contacts/calendar wireless via Bluetooth while you are on the phone. Multitasking is a good thing.

You will have a more stable device.

I switched from Palm to Windows Mobile; it's a shift, but the flexibility and stability more than make up for it.
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    The other consideration to take into account is that palm has several new phones coming out in the new few months barring any unforseen changes.

755P (new to Verizon), 800 series, and the Centro. Hopefully these will start showing up around Jan 08. Unless your 650 is dying you may want to wait a little bit longer to see what these new devices are like.
  5.    #5  
    Currently I mostly use it for calendar, contacts, email via snappermail, texting, some web browsing. I've loaded a bunch of applications that really aren't as important to me, I'm sure I'd be able to replace them with windows type things.

Mike-is there anything you lost by doing the switch away from palm?

Jas- thanks I will try to read up on those.
    VZW sent me a free 700wx to replace the last of my many flawed 700p devices. The 700wx is much more stable, it multitasks, and overall is a pleasure to use compared to my 700p which constantly froze, crashed, or made me wait before thanking me with various network errors.

HOWEVER, if you are going to pay for your 700wx I would definitely hold out for a few more months. The 700wx is essentially the 700w with more memory, and is due to be replaced soon. Don't buy into something that is on the way out, wait for a new Windows Mobile Palm product or the Blackberry Curve to appear on VZW.
  7.    #7  
    Sonny, that's a good point about waiting. The 650 still works. The blackberry curve looks interesting but how well do they really synch up with outlook contacts and calendar?
    And 800w coming soon...

Surur
    Hi Lcarbrey,

Stick to the 650 for now. I have owned the phone you have now and every Treo released by Verizon since (700p/700W/700WX). The 650 is better and more stable than all of them. The 650 had bugs in the beginning but Palm and Verizon corrected most of them over time. The newer line of Treo phones are experiencing many bugs that still have not been fixed. The Treo 650 was the last Treo I really loved. I foolishly assumed newer = better and made the jump too soon. I personally am no longer using a Treo as of 3 weeks ago. I switched to the Blackberry 8830 and I'm not looking back. It has been the best phone/pda device I have ever used, period. I guess when you finally get tired of your phone/pda being a hobby and you decide to get real work done, the Blackberry is the ultimate solution. If you really want multimedia features without bugs and hassle the Curve may be the best choice for you in the near future.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I've had the 700w, 700p, and now the 700wx. Although I really love Palm OS and its PIM apps, it really came down to multitasking for me. The 700wx just runs and handles TomTom so much better than the 700p. I can connect a bluetooth headset and GPS receiver simultaneously, take phone calls, and run TomTom all without a problem.

I took pics comparing the interface on the 700p and 700w which you can find at http://www.brothersontech.com/blog/n...00w-comparison

It really does just come down to your needs. Windows Mobile is just more modern and powerful, but if you don't have a specific need for all that, Palm OS is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    I've had the 700w, 700p, and now the 700wx. Although I really love Palm OS and its PIM apps, it really came down to multitasking for me. The 700wx just runs and handles TomTom so much better than the 700p. I can connect a bluetooth headset and GPS receiver simultaneously, take phone calls, and run TomTom all without a problem.

I took pics comparing the interface on the 700p and 700w which you can find at http://www.brothersontech.com/blog/n...00w-comparison

It really does just come down to your needs. Windows Mobile is just more modern and powerful, but if you don't have a specific need for all that, Palm OS is great.
    Nice comparison. For some reason and I am a bit biased, I like the look of the PDA apps better on the palm os.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Agreed. The Palm OS PIM apps are just better. They are simple, elegant, and just get the job done. Why doesn't someone make a Windows Mobile clone of those Palm PIM apps? I'd love that.
    Thanks for starting this thread. I was just about to ask the same question. I just got my 700wx about 1 1/2 mo ago. I originally started with the 700p, but returned it after about 1 week due to problems with it. Now, with the wifi discovery and such, I was just frustrated and wondered if I ought to go back to 700p. I really detest the way the w/wx looks -- just prefer the Palm OS - so much cleaner, simpler and elegant.

But after reading the posts (and thank you SO much for that photographic comparison - that was really nice) - I got the impression that functionally, the 700wx is superior. But the appearance of the 700p is superior (to those who prefer the look of the Palm OS) - and can sway those of us to a "p" product.

Looking on Handango, it seems like I can get some third party products that will give my wx an appearance that is closer to that of the p (at least a lot cleaner and simpler than existing). While keeping the performance of the wx and try to get the look of the p. But still dealing with the lousy wifi situation I am still trying to figure out.

That is a good suggestion -- why can't someone create a third party program that makes your wx "look" like a p? I'd be in.

Someone said that the 650 was the most stable 'p' version thus far. Aside from the multi-tasking, what is the difference between the 650p and the 700wx? Is there a significant advantage to the 700wx? I know they increased the memory, but would inserting a 1GB memory card in the 650p would compensate for the less memory (since it won't do wifi, right?)

Thanks

Sammy
    Since there are iphone clone programs out there, it would be cool to make my phone look like wm for a bit. Same could be said for those that use wm and want to try palm os.