Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 247
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    Also keep in mind that the WM6 upgrade date has not even been announced...just speculation. Why wouldn't they at least announce a date when we all know it is ready to roll out any minute now? It's because Good can't give ATT/Palm any confirmed date on the 5.0 rollout.
    I COMPLETELY agree with Conekkted. It's Exactly the same for ALL of AT&T's WM6 Upgrades. Why hasn't the 8525 or BlackJack WM6 upgrades been OFFICIALLY released yet? I'm pretty sure they all have the "Get Good" Icon in their WM5 versions, so releasing the WM6 upgrade to those devices without Good would corroborate the reasoning in Insidrs' previous posts.
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    After reading the last few pages, it si STILL my belief that Good is the cause of the delay. And it is a PALM decision, not AT&T. Maybe both, I guess.

    PALM decided to put Good in their ROM. Contracted, paid for, etc. Legal reasons require Palm to leave it on the 750. Because of their agreement with Good OR the consumer.

    While it may not be many, some consumers bought this device because of its Good compatibility. If Palm suddenly scratches it in a device upgrade, they can (and would) have a lawsuit on their hands.

    You can't take an advertised feature out of a product in a device upgrade.

    Good is not in the ROM. It is a web shortcut. There is no code from Good on the Palm devices when shipped.
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    Also keep in mind that the WM6 upgrade date has not even been announced...just speculation. Why wouldn't they at least announce a date when we all know it is ready to roll out any minute now? It's because Good can't give ATT/Palm any confirmed date on the 5.0 rollout.
    Why would the Q9 be released, a device by the company that owns Good, with the GetGood icon and WM6 when it isn't supported?
  4. #124  
    GoodGuy, do you know if 'GetGood' is on the Rogers/Canada version of the 750?
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    GoodGuy, do you know if 'GetGood' is on the Rogers/Canada version of the 750?
    I doubt it since we do not have a resell arrangement in place with Rogers.
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    I doubt it since we do not have a resell arrangement in place with Rogers.
    Thanks. Just curious since the 750 with WM6 was just released by Rogers. God-forbid any Kanucks even think about putting GMM on it! The time/space continuum will cease to exist, according to some of your detractors.
  7. #127  
    We actually have a relationship with Bell Canada and there are many GMM users up North.
  8.    #128  
    Several of us have now suggested customer loyalty and not wanting to abandon them as to why the delay is happening, and as far as I can tell nobody has done a good job of refuting that argument.

    Calancaster makes a great point regarding the Blackjack and 8525 which also are likely tied to GMM too.

    Whether Good is in the ROM or just a link that shows up as an icon on a device still shows a partnership between AT&T and Palm which is my point.

    As for the release of the Q9 with the Get Good icon, I would call that an oversight possibly with the inclusion of the icon, but keep in mind it is not an upgrade to an existing device where somebody could already be running GMM. Hopefully, when a Q9 user clicks the icon they will at some point get a message stating GMM is not supported on the device and hopefully it will prevent the download. If not GG might have a few more calls to answer with questions. As I stated earlier as of yesterday afternoon my Get Good icon took me right to GMM's site and was going to let me download GMM for PPC version 6 with no warning at that point--this was without me even inputting a PIN. I would hate for someone to have to download the entire package before it said it won't work.

    And once again I still say GMM 5.0 is released before WM6 is released by AT&T for the Treo 750 (and the Blackjack and 8525 for that matter too!).
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  9. #129  
    The "package" is only about 300K. You don't get the full download until you enter you email and PIN.

    So, wait.... now Samsung, Palm, HTC and AT&T are all being held up by GMM? You can't be serious? Samsung, the biggest competitor in the US with Motorola, is waiting for a Motorola product to come out.

  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Whether Good is in the ROM or just a link that shows up as an icon on a device still shows a partnership between AT&T and Palm which is my point.
    Is this really the last bit of fiber you're hanging onto? There is no partnership, period. It's a vendor relationship. Nothing more.
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Several of us have now suggested customer loyalty and not wanting to abandon them as to why the delay is happening, and as far as I can tell nobody has done a good job of refuting that argument.
    I think it's because some of us don't believe anyone is or would be abandoned. Releasing WM6 before a new supported version on GMM or holding up WM6 for GMM, either way customers get GMM on the same date. By releasing WM6 now it just means GMM customers have to wait to update to WM6. Either way they have to wait just as long. No one is being abandoned either way.

    I know, you argue that people are to stupid to heed the clear warnings and wait, therefore AT&T wants to force them and the other 9x% install base that doesn't use Good to wait by holding up WM6. I just happen to think that's not likely for reasons I previously mentioned.

    It's an argument you nor 'we' can ever win since we can't agree to this point.
    Last edited by taylorh; 09/21/2007 at 03:31 AM.
  12. #132  
    I know one thing: I will NEVER become a GoodMail customer if GM is the reason for us in the U.S. to be dead last to receive the WM6 upgrade. I'm not too happy with Palm either, but I simply love its Treo line.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

    Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

  13. driazen's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    #133  
    Another thing that is interesting is this. So we have all these rumors that the ROM is still going back and forth for testing. We have heard that its already in the hands of support techs / testers / insiders at at&t. Why hasn't there been another leak of the ROM, one with official installer/updater and all, not requiring a install from SD card?
  14.    #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    Thanks. Just curious since the 750 with WM6 was just released by Rogers. God-forbid any Kanucks even think about putting GMM on it! The time/space continuum will cease to exist, according to some of your detractors.
    This reinforces my point. The Canadian provider that does not have a relationship with GMM releases the 750 with WM6 and the provider that does have a GMM relationship oddly enough does not have a 750 with WM6 on the market. So now Europe, Australia, and Canada all have a 750 with WM6 available and none of those providers in those places have a relationship with GMM. So I guess the engineers/techs that customize networks and software on those places are able to make those networks and the 750 work with WM6 but the $29B AT&T can't seem to figure it out stateside. Gee I wonder if by some miracle they will finally get everything integrated after GMM 5.0 is released...no I doubt it, they are probably just going to skip WM6 in the US with AT&T and wait for the folks in Redmond to come out with WM7.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  15.    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by driazen View Post
    Another thing that is interesting is this. So we have all these rumors that the ROM is still going back and forth for testing. We have heard that its already in the hands of support techs / testers / insiders at at&t. Why hasn't there been another leak of the ROM, one with official installer/updater and all, not requiring a install from SD card?
    Maybe because there actually is no ROM going back and forth, because the ROM is already working and stable but for the pesky little "Get Good" icon and a few customers that are out there....

    Oh sorry, many experts continue to refute that GMM has anything whatsoever to do with the delay.

    Sorry I ever started this thread in the first place. I am going back Dallas to look for shell casings on the grassy knoll and plant some more gloves in Brentwood at the OJ crime scene. It is so hard being responsible for all these conspiracies--or at least doing my part to perpetuate them.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  16. #136  
    By now, I think we're all perfectly clear on who are the GMM-trash talkers as it relates to WM6 and those of us, the 90+% of US 750 owners, who are simply interested in the WM6 official release.
  17.    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I think it's because some of us don't believe anyone is or would be abandoned. Releasing WM6 before a new supported version on GMM or holding up WM6 for GMM, either way customers get GMM on the same date. By releasing WM6 now it just means GMM customers have to wait to update to WM6. Either way they have to wait just as long. No one is being abandoned either way.

    I know, you argue that people are to stupid to heed the clear warnings and wait, therefore AT&T wants to force them and the other 9x% install base that doesn't use Good to wait by holding up WM6. I just happen to think that's not likely for reasons I previously mentioned.

    It's an argument you nor 'we' can ever win since we can't agree to this point.
    Taylor, I wouldn't say I think people are too stupid to heed a warning (one which as of today still doesn't exist by the way--and if you don't believe me click the Get Good icon on your leaked WM6 ROM then when it says do you have a pin click on yes and watch what happens. You will be asked if you want to download GMM for PPC version 6. If you downloaded it the package will install on your treo and it will work with the exception of one little bug that I am aware of related to autofill). I simply argue as others have suggested that not everyone reads EULA's. I would actually argue that most people don't read them and I really don't think they are stupid. I don't think I am stupid and I seldom read them. However, if a big warning came up and said download at your own risk because this is not supported, or better than that if the same website which detects I have WM6 in the first place would just not allow me to download GMM or redirect me to a page that said there is no GMM version that can work on WM6 then your argument is completely vaild--the argument that the GMM users will have to continue to wait as long as they would have to otherwise so why continue to hold up WM6.

    Not to mention that right about now Good could send a message to all of its users stating that AT&T is about to release WM6 but none of its users can upgrade because GMM is not supported on that OS. I don't think they are doing this because they now GMM 5.0 will release prior to WM6.

    Lastly, a number of posters to this thread have real big issues with GMM functionality and while I think it could be improved I have never once bashed GMM's functionality and I have no axe to grind with them. I am one user with GMM installed on a 750 and not an admim. GMM has become a critical component to my job and it would be terrible to have to switch to Black Berry or some other mobile email system.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    By now, I think we're all perfectly clear on who are the GMM-trash talkers as it relates to WM6 and those of us, the 90+% of US 750 owners, who are simply interested in the WM6 official release.
    I admit my tone has been sarcastic at times but others have made similar comments. I am as interested as anyone in the official release. I just happen to feel that GMM if not the only reason is a least a big reason.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  19.    #139  
    Others have made statements about the money and conpsiracies and who influences who relative to Palm, AT&T and GMM.

    Personally, I feel that AT&T is doing the right thing in waiting for GMM 5.0 to be released so that a segment of their customers using Blackjacks, 8525's and 750's will be able to upgrade like the rest of their customers without a glitch or warning. I don't have a clue why the GMM release is evidently targeted for next Friday and did not happen sooner. For all I know AT&T might have contributed to the delay by not resonding to issues raised by GMM, but my original statement holds true which is GMM 5.0 will need to be released first--and thus they are the reason for the delay.

    We all have different opinions here and I guess we will never know who is right but clearly there is interest as there have been thousands of views and 7 pages of posts on this very subject.

    I actually hope that in the very near future this entire thread is old news and we have no reason to voice opinions because WM6 and GMM 5.0 have been released!
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  20.    #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    Is this really the last bit of fiber you're hanging onto? There is no partnership, period. It's a vendor relationship. Nothing more.
    By the way I think some would argue a vendor relationship is a partnership.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions