Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 247
  1. #41  
    What's Good for the Tilt [Good Mobile Messaging (available post-launch)] is Good for the 750.

    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/...owledge-on-us/

    No more excuses, ladies & gentlemen.
  2. driazen's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    What's Good for the Tilt [Good Mobile Messaging (available post-launch)] is Good for the 750.

    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/...owledge-on-us/

    No more excuses, ladies & gentlemen.
    yup no more excuses, come on AT&T
  3. #43  
    Can you say "installed base"? There are many ATT phones that don't have GMM on them. When shopping for a phone, you can make a decision whether GMM is important or not. With an OS upgrade, you're talking about people who already HAVE the device, who are already using GMM. You can't cripple your installed customers.
  4. #44  
    Just tell people who use GMM not to upgrade yet or you lose GMM. Tell them to wait. Either way they wait the same amount of time.
    Sounds simple to me.
    Last edited by taylorh; 09/15/2007 at 08:37 AM.
  5. #45  
    And tell them "Don't do drugs" and "Save yourself for marriage." Sounds reasonable, but people don't listen, read, or follow instructions. Look at how many on this forum took the plunge and upgraded blindly to the unauthorized WM6, not knowing what would happen. If ATT put out an authorized ROM that broke a critical app, there would be new thread on this forum in a heartbeat calling them a bunch of idiots. They may be, but they're not crazy.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by insidr View Post
    And tell them "Don't do drugs" and "Save yourself for marriage." Sounds reasonable, but people don't listen, read, or follow instructions.
    That's a problem which justifies IT's existence, not a market problem. I would challenge anyone to provide hard-dollar evidence of what GMM brings to the 750 table versus the general market. All generalized claims are gorilla dust.

    Look at how many on this forum took the plunge and upgraded blindly to the unauthorized WM6, not knowing what would happen. If ATT put out an authorized ROM that broke a critical app, there would be new thread on this forum in a heartbeat calling them a bunch of idiots. They may be, but they're not crazy.
    GMM is not a critical app of the 750. Never was, otherwise, it would've been written into the ROM as all critical apps are, such as Blackberry Connect is in some enterprise devices. Simple, no? After how many years of this slog relationship, going back to the old AT&T, GMM still doesn't warrant a better position in the 'new' AT&T's offerings than they did years ago, and for good reason.

    No more excuses.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by insidr View Post
    And tell them "Don't do drugs" and "Save yourself for marriage." Sounds reasonable, but people don't listen, read, or follow instructions. Look at how many on this forum took the plunge and upgraded blindly to the unauthorized WM6, not knowing what would happen. If ATT put out an authorized ROM that broke a critical app, there would be new thread on this forum in a heartbeat calling them a bunch of idiots. They may be, but they're not crazy.
    Sorry, that excuse doesn't fly with me.
    First, the Tilt will be sold not supporting it initially. So how many people will buy the tilt and then find out they can't use GMM yet and how is that really different?

    Also, you block the download with a page you must go through first that clearly states you should not install this update yet if yo use GMM. Make the person 'accept' it like you would a EULA. Just to download it in the first place you have to go through a 'complicated' process of determining that your phone is compatible with the upgrade and people manage that.

    Also they can do a soft release. Make it available but don't actively notify customers. AT&T takes their time on that anyway. I just got the sound patch notification for the 750 last week how many months after it was released?

    Customers are stupid but all upgrades have contingencies.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Sorry, that excuse doesn't fly with me.
    First, the Tilt will be sold not supporting it initially. So how many people will buy the tilt and then find out they can't use GMM yet and how is that really different?

    Also, you block the download with a page you must go through first that clearly states you should not install this update yet if yo use GMM. Make the person 'accept' it like you would a EULA. Just to download it in the first place you have to go through a 'complicated' process of determining that your phone is compatible with the upgrade and people manage that.

    Also they can do a soft release. Make it available but don't actively notify customers. AT&T takes their time on that anyway. I just got the sound patch notification for the 750 last week how many months after it was released?

    Customers are stupid but all upgrades have contingencies.
    First, there's a huge difference between someone who's shopping and someone who already has a feature that would be crippled by an upgrade.

    Second, If you read EULAs, you are one of a very select few. I have installed literally thousands of apps and done uncounted upgrades, and I've never read a EULA. In fact, unless there's a STOP error message, I usually click through heedlessly. I hate to say it, but I'm representative of the vast majority of users.

    Third, They could certainly do a soft or slipstream release, but go back and read point #1. You can't break something that works and issue an update.

    Fourth, Not every app provider that has a link or other relationship is, or should be included, in the ROM. Everyone complains in the Palm OS world about Versamail, Docs to Go, PTunes, and others. The better trend is more vanilla OS's and more flexibility by the user. On my 680, I've taken most third party apps out of ROM. That way I have the latest version without risk of conflict with a ROM-installed app. By putting apps into ROM, you are putting bugs into ROM.

    Fifth, I agree that it's ridiculous for GMM to be a factor. But for many reasons, mostly $$$, it is.

    It's only a couple of weeks, and someone can erase this thread.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    First, the Tilt will be sold not supporting it initially.
    I have only seen one very unofficial story about the Tilt and what it will and won't support. It's kind of early to submit that as evidence.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  10. #50  
    Leaked AT&T corporate docs would appear to trump unsubstantiated, rationalized speculation. But, whatever ...
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by insidr View Post
    Problem is that the "good" folks are as messed up as a gravy sandwich. I would be very surprised if they hit their Q3 target. There are a bunch of issues that still linger from the last release. They never really fixed the Palm OS bugs, which should have been a lot easier than WM.
    My recommendation is to get your hands on the WM6 version floating around. It's pretty much the release version. Then, when the "official" version is released, you can re-install.
    But DON'T upgrade if you depend on GoodMail. I have tried it. It doesn't work and will mess up other stuff.
    I rely very heavily on Good. I've tried each of the newly released ROMs - the best seems to be the Aussy 3 verison - and I've not had any issues with WM6 and Good not playing well together.

    What was the specific issue that wasn't working?
  12. #52  
    Here is my concern with compatibility. For years now Good has pretended that Goodlink was working "well" with their supported devices. "Well" for them meant many very frustrating and crippling bugs for us, the end user. So when they say a release is compatible, that means semi-functional. If they say a release is not compatible (as they are saying with 4.9.x on WM6), then I would have to believe there are some severe bugs hidden somewhere in there. So I won't gamble with anything that Good themselves says is not ready. I'm not sure if we want to gamble even when they do.
    Last edited by conekkted; 09/17/2007 at 11:06 PM.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  13. driazen's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    #53  
    http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...&postcount=922

    any validation to these dates from this "leaked email"

    insidr?
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    Here is my concern with compatibility. For years now Good has pretended that Goodlink was working "well" with their supported devices. "Well" for them meant many very frustrating and crippling bugs for us, the end user. So when they say a release is compatible, that means semi-functional. If they say a release is not compatible (as they are saying with 5.0 on WM6), then I would have to believe there are some severe bugs hidden somewhere in there. So I won't gamble with anything that Good themselves says is not ready. I'm not sure if we want to gamble even when they do.
    Conekketed--Did I miss something? I know they are saying 4.9 is not compatible with WM6 but are they now saying 5.0 is not compatible with WM6 as well? Or did you mean to say 4.9 is not compatible with WM6?
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  15. #55  
    My mistake. I meant to write that Good says 4.9.x is not compatible with WM6. I have now corrected this in my above post. Thanks for pointing that out Dsol.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by driazen View Post
    http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...&postcount=922

    any validation to these dates from this "leaked email"

    insidr?

    Whoa!! Mid December?? Yikes.
  17. #57  
    All I have to say, is if you don't use Good, then I would say go ahead and upgrade to the link AT&T WM6 ROM. It has been so nice - I can't tell you how much more smoothly it has worked for me. Very glad I upgraded with zero regrets. Submitted in my humble opinion.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post

    Yes, you are EXACTLY correct. The GetGood icon is just a shortcut that goes out to the server and downloads the install package. This allows you to go out to your company's Good server and download whatever Good version your admin has you slated for. Does everyone agree? OK, so let's move on.
    For all your rants against Good, I can't say I am surprised that you are sadly misinformed.

    The GetGood icon goes to a webpage that is get.good.com. You can go to it from any browser, not just handheld browsers. It doesn't go anywhere near your company's Good server. Notice when you go there via a regular desktop browser, the statement "Welcome to get.good.com. get.good.com is for over-the-air provisioning of Good Technology's software. Your handheld type is not supported at this time." If you go via a Palm browser, it knows the OS and only shows the Palm Client download. It knows the OS. Therefore, wouldn't it make sense that we could sense WM6 devices and say it isn't supported? Of course it would.

    Secondly, why would AT&T hold off on release of a Microsoft product when that very product has what many say is a product that is just as good as GMM (discussion for another thread)? You honestly think that Motorola/Good has more stroke than Microsoft? So, AT&T says to the Redmond guys "ya know, we really would rather hold off releasing your operating system because we are waiting for a competitive product of EAS to support it, even though EAS works on it just fine." With all of your conspiracy theories, none hold water because all of them imply that MOT/Good has enough power over Palm, AT&T and MSFT to cause a delay.

    AT&T has been reselling GMM for a little over a year. How in the WORLD did they make money and survive before the relationship was established?
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    For all your rants against Good, I can't say I am surprised that you are sadly misinformed.

    The GetGood icon goes to a webpage that is get.good.com. You can go to it from any browser, not just handheld browsers. It doesn't go anywhere near your company's Good server. Notice when you go there via a regular desktop browser, the statement "Welcome to get.good.com. get.good.com is for over-the-air provisioning of Good Technology's software. Your handheld type is not supported at this time." If you go via a Palm browser, it knows the OS and only shows the Palm Client download. It knows the OS. Therefore, wouldn't it make sense that we could sense WM6 devices and say it isn't supported? Of course it would.

    Secondly, why would AT&T hold off on release of a Microsoft product when that very product has what many say is a product that is just as good as GMM (discussion for another thread)? You honestly think that Motorola/Good has more stroke than Microsoft? So, AT&T says to the Redmond guys "ya know, we really would rather hold off releasing your operating system because we are waiting for a competitive product of EAS to support it, even though EAS works on it just fine." With all of your conspiracy theories, none hold water because all of them imply that MOT/Good has enough power over Palm, AT&T and MSFT to cause a delay.

    AT&T has been reselling GMM for a little over a year. How in the WORLD did they make money and survive before the relationship was established?
    I'm using the AT&T WM6 ROM from XDA. Have been for a while now. I'm also running GMM version 4.9.3.34_EN on my Treo 750. IT works just fine.

    After reading your post, I wanted to see what would happen if I went to get.good.com, running WM6.

    I'm not a Good hater at all.

    However, It doesn't it's unsupported. In fact, is says, "OTA Setup for Pocket PC 6.0 (English)" and has a download link.

    Interesting....
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by MHR View Post
    I'm using the AT&T WM6 ROM from XDA. Have been for a while now. I'm also running GMM version 4.9.3.34_EN on my Treo 750. IT works just fine.

    After reading your post, I wanted to see what would happen if I went to get.good.com, running WM6.

    I'm not a Good hater at all.

    However, It doesn't it's unsupported. In fact, is says, "OTA Setup for Pocket PC 6.0 (English)" and has a download link.

    Interesting....
    Interesting indeed....I would take that as a good sign regarding release of 5.0.

    XDA runs full version or Smartphone edition of WM6?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions