Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    I just report the news, I don't make it.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    i know sry, just ill, foleo got canceled today.
    Well hopefully it's sooner than that. I came across this website from Motorola promoting GMM5. http://www.getfit5.com/index.html, so it's got to be ready SOON.
  4.    #24  
    That is hilarious considering that it doesn't even mention that it is false advertising as none of those testimonials could be true because 5.0 is still in beta and has a target release date of Sept. 28.

How do they get away with this? I clicked through the entire site and nothing about 5.0 not out yet. If this isn't false advertising then what is?
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I refer you to my post #6 above.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insidr View Post
    Not later than October 4.
    So October 4th still your date insidr?
    Yes, that's the plan. But the clowns at Good are doing their best to slow it down. Their tentative release date is 9/28.
    You Good haters make me laugh. You really think they have the power to slow this? Come on.
    MHR:
    I'm not a Good hater. In fact I use their system every day, and mostly it works ok. But here's some points of info:
    On the Palm OS, their security crashes the 680 on a regular basis. Their response: We know it's a problem. Do a warm reset. And it actually takes 2 resets to get the 680 working.
    On WM5: A simple registry change negates their security. Text input is so slow and erratic that you think the device has stopped responding.

The reason it's holding up the release is simple: GoodMail availability is a bundled part of the WM6 package. If GM Messaging is incompatible, Palm would be sending out a defective (more than usual) OS. For those who use GM as their corporate email solution, the damage would be severe, as the device would be unusable. The option would be for Palm to issue WM6 with the warning that GMM is not yet ready. They're not inclined to do that.
    From a Good 'insidr':

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...55&postcount=8

Good is not part of the rom, but only a url shortcut in the extended rom which is easily emptied and deleted.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifes2short View Post
    Good is not part of the rom, but only a url shortcut in the extended rom which is easily emptied and deleted.
    Ugh! This get frustrating sometimes trying to explain this to some of you.

Yes, you are EXACTLY correct. The GetGood icon is just a shortcut that goes out to the server and downloads the install package. This allows you to go out to your company's Good server and download whatever Good version your admin has you slated for. Does everyone agree? OK, so let's move on.

Palm and ATT are partners. ATT does not make wireless phones and Palm does not have a wireless network. So they NEED each other. They make millions of dollars each year by using each other's services/products. They are PARTNERS. The same is true for ATT and Good. They are PARTNERS. ATT makes millions of dollars each year by selling GMM as a mobile office solution and collecting tons of revenue on the data plans needed to run GMM. In turn Good collects a boatload with overpriced license fees and an undisclosed cut of other profits. Are we still tracking?

So there are 2 scenarios. Palm/ATT releases the upgrade without the incompatible GetGood icon or they release it with the icon. Let's explore both.

Scenario 1: WM6 update gets released with the GetGood icon included
    The inclusion of the icon would infer that you can go out and load GMM just like always. So you do. And since GMM 5.0 is not out yet, you download some 4.9x version that your company pushes. You load it up and realize that not all of the GMM 4.9 features work with WM6. This causes you and 100 of your best co-worker buddies to start hammering IT Support with tickets. Not good. Not feasible. Not gonna happen. ATT realizes this and won't do it this way.

Scenario 2: WM6 update gets released without the GetGood icon included
    Yes, technically it would be easy for ATT/Palm to delete the GetGood icon out of the new WM6 update and release it. Everything works fine for the end user. But this introduces 2 big problems. First, there are still thousands of users out there that are REQUIRED TO HAVE GMM 4.9x loaded on their device in order to do their jobs. So now we are back to scenario 1 above, where 4.9 is not fully compatible with WM6. And now you have just complicated their lives further by not supplying them an icon. Second, when GMM 5.0 finally does come out and people want to now load it, there is no icon to go out and get it. Now for most of you on this forum making your own link would be easy. But for the average joe this would once again cause an IT Support nightmare. If you haven't supported Goodlink before then you have no idea how much support ticket traffic is caused by its users.

So which scenario do they choose? Scenario 3. WM6 gets released when GMM 5.0 is finally ready. Period. WM6 is ready today...was ready 2 weeks ago. It is tested. It has been released to many others worldwide. The leaked version is working almost perfectly on current ATT devices. Yet the speculative date for WM6 upgrade to ATT is October 4? Why? Because GMM 5.0 is not due out until the week before.

No big deal for us old GMM users. We are used to waiting on Good. For the rest of you, welcome to our world.

Whew!
    Last edited by conekkted; 09/13/2007 at 12:48 PM.
    Treo 750 - Cingular/ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    No big deal for us old GMM users. We are used to waiting on Good. For the rest of you, welcome to our world.
    Problem is, Good isn't exactly leading its market to warrant the rest of this little Treo-WM5/6 market segment to wait, even according to GoodGuy. INO, the juice isn't worth the squeeze and the result is a formerly satisfied market segment becomes intolerant and moves on to other pasture. Not disagreeing with your portrayal of the dynamics involved, but the reason for the dynamics shows poor market understanding and judgment. It's an old relationship in need of a fresh set of eyes to review it. There are certainly better deployment methods available, given that this is not an AT&T business-side-exclusive device.
    GMM is not a market leader, but for many corporate users, it IS the market. I can opt for GMM or nothing for mobile email. If I want to stay connected, it's GMM. Conekkted is right...it's all about the money. If I want GMM, I have to stay on WM5 no matter what. It's not a matter of choice, so they're not at risk with me. I can't do anything else. The risk would be, as conekkted says, releasing WM6 with link to old/incompatible version, or without a link. Support calls cost $$. Palm is broke, and can't afford the cost or the headache. Your internal IT support guys will tell you to keep your shirt on and wait for Palm to issue an official update. They don't want the headaches either.
    So as long as there is a partnership Palm/Good partnership, you'll just have to wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by insidr View Post
    So as long as there is a partnership Palm/Good partnership, you'll just have to wait.
    This presumes that no dynamics force a fresh look at their status quo relationship. Old kludge relationships such as this are being forced to the wayside, and for good reason [no pun intended]. The market is demanding more sophistication, timely response, and less down time. Those slow to respond are quickly left behind to feed on the crumbs left behind the leaders of the market. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with what has brought them to this point of a waiting game, but to presume that it will always be this way, or that what currently exists must be good enough, is unacceptable. In today's market, it's deliver or die.
    If someone would just 'leak' the darn final ROM it wouldn't matter. At least us people who have no interest in Good can use it.
    I'm not talking about the current 'leaked' ROM which I have, I'm talking about the final release.

Please kill me now. I've been waiting since "Q1 07" for an official HSDPA upgrade. Hacks are only so fun for so long.
  16.    #36  
    In post number 31 above Conekkted nailed it. I tried to say it earlier but that was a masterpiece. Well done.

And for what it is worth I am not a Good Mobile Messaging (GMM) "hater". I actually think it is a good product for me as an end user. I generally am more satisfied than my peers that use Blackberries despite GMM's shortcomings.

As for Taylor's comment above, a leaked final will still (likely) have the Get Good icon and still won't support GMM's current version of software so Taylor will be happy but all of the other issues will still exist.

There is not a doubt in my mind, especially after reading every posters insightful comments above that the order of software release will be GMM 5.0 by GMM and then WM6 by AT&T (with an included "Get Good" icon--thus allowing a functional scnario for the end user). Any other scenario will simply not be practical.

Also, keep in mind that becaue the WM6 ROM is going to be a free upgrade that AT&T doesn't lose any real revenue while they wait to release it. If they had a new device they were looking to release that could only run on WM6 (thus could not run on WM5) it would be a totally different story and WM6 would be out already. I really don't think most end users are holding off the purchase of a Treo, or any other device for that matter that is "only running WM5". It is only the couple thousand of us that read this forum and others like it that know what HSDPA is versus UMTS and GPRS/EDGE and the adavantages of WM6 vs. WM5--and unfortunately we are a microcosm of the users out there and as much as we'd like to think we impact these things I really don't think we do. Every couple of years Palm's CEO might answer an open letter in here but that is it.

I think we are the best resource out there to share information and help out fellow users of the Treo but I am afraid that is about it.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I think the AT&T WM6 update is going to be released around the 2nd Thursday or Friday of October. Whether or not an updated GMM is included, I could not know for sure.
    Wow. What happened to Sep 17? Now it's October?

It sucks I'm being held up for GMM. Don't use it. After this, definitely never will. Nor recommend. I try to avoid products from companies that can't program their way out of a paper bag.

I can't blame ATT (BTW is that fixed in WM6? ). Apart from deciding to include GMM in the first place. But they did include it. So now, if they release WM6 w/o working GMM (or w/o GMM at all) it would be taking away a feature some people depend (?) on.
  19.    #39  
    Very funny but yes one of the big new features of WM6 is that it actually says AT&T correctly!

Yet another reason to release the upgrade!
    I can't blame ATT (BTW is that fixed in WM6? )
    Very funny but yes one of the big new features of WM6 is that it actually says AT&T correctly!
    Cool. Someone in Redmond found a 10 year old copy of Petzold and finally learned how to use SS_NOPREFIX.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast